Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Default Border Terriers...

I'm interested in the breed. How are they in home life? Sporting? Dog interactions? How hard are they to groom? Noisy?

I've not dealt with the breed a lot so I'm just curious, they're adorable little dogs.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

I have known a few, nice dogs. Seen the same issues as a lot of dogs (reactively etc) but when raised and trained by educated people or folks willing to invest in them, they can be really nice dogs.
A friend of mine imported some working BT's from Ireland (made two trips over to go hunting and came home both times with dogs/pups). Not as edgy as the jrts and nice working dogs, but these working bred BT's did not look like what we see over here. They were a smaller, tidier, smaller chested dog. Been out hunting a few times with them, really didn't see much difference than the Jrts in working style or drives.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

We have one at work, he's from a breeder who does earth dog, hunting, general farm ratting, and confo with her dogs. I LOVE him, his name is Finch and he rules. He took my basic OB class and comes to daycare. He's very enthusiastic and food driven, and his owner said he'll play ball for hours.

He's young but so far very dog social. Tends to play very rough and likes to grip and shake. All terrier, lol.

I'd take one of him in a heartbeat.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I have known a few, nice dogs. Seen the same issues as a lot of dogs (reactively etc) but when raised and trained by educated people or folks willing to invest in them, they can be really nice dogs.
A friend of mine imported some working BT's from Ireland (made two trips over to go hunting and came home both times with dogs/pups). Not as edgy as the jrts and nice working dogs, but these working bred BT's did not look like what we see over here. They were a smaller, tidier, smaller chested dog. Been out hunting a few times with them, really didn't see much difference than the Jrts in working style or drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
We have one at work, he's from a breeder who does earth dog, hunting, general farm ratting, and confo with her dogs. I LOVE him, his name is Finch and he rules. He took my basic OB class and comes to daycare. He's very enthusiastic and food driven, and his owner said he'll play ball for hours.

He's young but so far very dog social. Tends to play very rough and likes to grip and shake. All terrier, lol.

I'd take one of him in a heartbeat.
Thank you both!

Ado, do you by chance have photos at all of the imports? I am interested in the build difference. I am also interested in the bit less edgy side, jacks do play back and forth for me a lot but I'm just never sure I'll find the right one for my goals.

I'd love to know where that pup is from, Emily, he sounds fantastically well rounded.

I'm toying with the ideal for the future. I really miss having a small dog around, it's been about 5 years since I left my rat terrier with my parents, and while I have toyed with the idea of another deckers I am also intrigued by a few others, particularly with the smaller and scruffier looks in mind but the temperament must match.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Top Dog

I am heavily debating on adding a BT as my next dog. I've spoken to a few breeders, and really like what I hear and see. I have one in particular I really like. I like the looks of her dogs, and from what she has described their temperament. I've seen on her FB page photos of all the siblings that get together once a year and there will be like 20-30 BT's all in one place having a blast and getting along. They were bred to work with other dogs, so for the most part, from my research, DA isn't as big of a possibility. From my understanding, they are a lot less "terrier" than a lot of terriers, but still have the qualities that make them terrier enough if that makes sense. They are still often used as working dogs over in Europe. They are pretty attentive to their people and most I see have been capable of being off leash and working around other dogs. You don't seem to see the dog aggression issues like in other terriers. I have yet to have a breeder advise me of not getting a male (while having another male) like much of the other terrier breeds did.

What I love about them is their structurally a bit different than most other terriers. Much leggier and seem to excel in agility and sports. Also have heard they're not quite as 'on' in terms of prey drive as, say, a JRT. But pretty easy dogs to work with and train. Also, known as better "family" dogs with children and such.

I love this dog, doing some agility, rocking it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLutB...ure=plpp_video

And my favorite youtube dogs, Mira and Rut:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irG2FNcRvXo

I am still learning a lot. But this is what I have gathered so far.

My favorites are the blue & tans colorwise, and I also have a kind of 'face' that I prefer. I've found they seem to be minimally different. But as an example, I loooovee the looks of these dogs:

And, like here, aesthically speaking I like the looks of the far one on the left, and the 3rd one in,

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Their little faces are to die for. I really want a dog that has a lesser DA propensity, which sounds like it fits..

This is great intel, thanks guys!

Old 11-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

I'll ask for you, he comes to daycare all the time. I seriously love him more than is healthy. He gives the funniest kisses and will nibble on your ears - it feels like making out with a guy with a beard. LOL

Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Top Dog

I know two.

Both are dog and people (and cat) friendly. One is a bit older, and fairly mellow, not "drivey" at all, but still energetic...could definitely be a dog sport dog but is also definitely not going to be any big champion.

The other is a very, very, very intelligent, very energetic, very drivey little dog without being over the top. She'll rest calmly inside if she's gotten enough exercise. She's VERY biddable, very trainable, quick, and to be honest, I'm WAY jealous of her owner. She is, IMO - the perfect dog.

She also might be slightly mixed, she was a rescue, and is a tad bit smaller/finer boned than most Borders I see, plus has sort of wonky ears (and a snaggle-tooth and a scrappy little mohawk on her head). Because of her personality/build I believe she has some JRT in her, but who knows.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

There's one that comes to the obed. drop in nights I go to, and I love him. He seems like an enthusiastic worker, and he's cuter than should be allowed.

I keep telling my boyfriend he needs to look into them.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Owned by Belgians

My "Airedale" friend has one. I think he used to think he was an Airedale, until she got a little mixed breed rescue. Now those two little dogs spend all day crittering in the wood pile for mice. Her dogs are strictly pets. The only training they get is enough to get them into the vet's office on a leash. But the BT puppy came from a local breeder who does the earth tunnel stuff with his dogs. I always get on her case for never stripping the dogs coat. Nice little dog. I heard it was highly recommended as a family pet.