Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Default Fish Folks Feel Free...

to tell me more about fishes. I'm stealing my sisters aquarium when she goes to Colorado this coming week, and it's a very nice bowfront aquarium, that's very large. It's like 40 or 50 gallons, maybe bigger, but probably not by much.

I don't know what I want to put in there, or how I want to set the tank up. It's got a very nice filter, hood and bubbler system with it, but they haven't been cleaned/used in years. I know I need to go ahead and set it up asap and get some water into, so that gives me plenty of time to decide what type of fish I want to put in there.

I know I want some sort of schooling fish, and I was considering going with Endlers livebearers and fancy guppies again, but I've seen some really cool fish that were called sharks or something like that that were also a schooling fish.

If I do go with the guppies/livebearers, whats some other things I could put in there to sort of A, help control the inevitable population explosion, B, won't eat ALL the babies and C, look good and not eat the adult fishes.

I don't know if I want snails in there, but I'm going to go ahead and guess I'm going to get some free ones when I start buying plants because I want to do natural plants in there as well, but what else will help clean waste/glass, ect besides those huge ugly black fish. Though I have heard that getting those and letting them get absolutely enormous and then selling them can be profitable, I really don't like them. I'd like something smaller.

And are there shrimp that can go in a fresh water tank that wont eat my fish? I like shrimp, and I think some of them are cool looking as well, but I don't want to worry about them eating too many of my fish, nor getting eaten by anything.

Basically, I'm looking for fish/ect that will look nice, as well as something that will breed and replace themselves over time. I don't mind loosing babies, and I don't mine loosing adult fish, because I've experienced genetic bottlenecks before, so I want to be able to add new stock over time without having to cull fish. Anyway, suggestions? Advice?

Thanks!