Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 AM
Top Dog

One could get a lovely coy from a disreputable shelter for the grand total of $75. Coy from a breeder? $350, and yes, I've seen it. I weep for those poor puppies.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 AM
Top Dog

Xoloitzcuintli- Depends on size and with or without coat and if your importing but you can find NICE Standards from 400-2000.

Catahoula-150-600 love me some cur babies
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Top Dog

I'm surprised to see such high quotes for working bred BCs. Around here, I could easily get a working bred BC puppy for $250-400. Or do you mean successful trial lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
I've seen decently bred working line Malinois and Dutch Shepherd puppies from anywhere from about 700-2000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Drop that to 200 and raise that to 2,500, I agree.
I wonder if many people are actually paying those higher prices for the puppies though? A friend of mine was looking at a getting a working line Mal puppy that the breeder was charging, I think $1500+. She ended up deciding to go with someone more in line with her expectations for the dog, as this guy was a typical Mal sport breeder who kept their dogs kenneled and bragged about how insane the dog were. Found out that months later the guy still had puppies and wasn't even able to give them away. It seems to me there is a bit of an over-saturated market as far as "decently bred working line" Mal puppies go.

Quote:
That's less expensive than I expected.
It seems the less common breeds are split - some are very expensive and others are relatively cheap. When I talked to a Pumi breeder, she said $500 for a puppy. Then said, half the time she can't even sell the whole litter and ends up having to keep multiples because there is just not a big market for the breed in the US.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Happy cost my sister $500 from a (suspected) mill but that was many years ago. I think that's still the amount BYBs and such charge though. So probably $500-1500 maybe? There are probably people out there charging more but that would be what I consider reasonable and typical for a sheltie.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Cardis are pretty reasonable, I got a discount on mine for various reasons but most go for $800-1000.

My sister and I have a running joke that Mackenzy cost us some pocket lint and an old paper clip. LOL

Field cockers usually run $800-1000 as well, though they can be had for cheaper from parents that hunt but don't trial, and breeders who don't health test, etc. Ollie was $1000 from Field Champion (and highly ranked), thoroughly health tested parents. His breeder occaisionally has litters from dogs that are still working on their FC's that are slightly cheaper, $800-900.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I'm surprised to see such high quotes for working bred BCs. Around here, I could easily get a working bred BC puppy for $250-400. Or do you mean successful trial lines?
Blaze is a mix of farm dog/successful trial line. It just really depends on who you buy from. To me $600-$800 it's that much, compared to 99% of the rest of breeds.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Will Creep For Sheep

I mean health tested trial dogs, I'm guessing you could probably get a working dog from a farm, sans health testing, for around $200-$400. I have seen ISDS puppies anywhere from $300-$1,000 (USD, obviously they're typically sold in pounds or euros).

As for that sport breeder who charges so much, I believe she's in northern CA or OR.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

Chows are pretty similar to other breeds for limited registration/pet quality: around $1200-1500. Except Goose, she was discounted I've only had pet quality Chows, so not sure about show pup prices, etc. Our next Chow, in many moons, will probably be a show pup, so we'll see then

I will note that like 17 years ago I got my first Chow (from ok lines in general, but purchased from a BYB) was $250, lol. He was the best dog ever though, temperament wise Hip surgeries taught me my lesson about going to breeders who health test, but he was still pretty excellent

Just because they're cute: Legend with baby Aesop
Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodelDogs
Basenjis from a responsible breeder who does health testing - $800-1,000.
Quote:
That's less expensive than I expected.

This price range is stable across the US for Basenji Club of America members, almost all of which do extensive health testing. I am actually floored by how much some breeds cost. It's been 20 years since I purchased a dog and I'm feeling "sticker shock".
Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
Chows are pretty similar to other breeds for limited registration/pet quality: around $1200-1500. Except Goose, she was discounted I've only had pet quality Chows, so not sure about show pup prices, etc. Our next Chow, in many moons, will probably be a show pup, so we'll see then

I will note that like 17 years ago I got my first Chow (from ok lines in general, but purchased from a BYB) was $250, lol. He was the best dog ever though, temperament wise Hip surgeries taught me my lesson about going to breeders who health test, but he was still pretty excellent

Just because they're cute: Legend with baby Aesop
So. Much. Cute.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.