Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Sit! Good dog.

But.... I dont like turkey!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Low and slow. OR Super high, then turn the oven off. I flip the birds breast down at first and cover completely with foil, then flip them last hour or so for a crispy skin. Keeps the breast from getting dried out. Also, butter. Tons of butter, placed between skin and meat.

Never removed the backbone before, though, and I'm not cooking a turkey this year because I couldn't find a small enough one. I'm sure Zander would have loved that method.

If you like super crunchy skin, baste with coconut milk/oil/however you like it. Caramelizes the skin to sweet crunchy perfection, creates a barrier and seals in the moisture in the breast and meat. Mmmm. You can do that on pigs, too.
Perfect advice here.

The slower you cook it at a low temperature, the juicier and tastier it is. Cooking it like that allows the oils to sink into the meat. . . and well, NOM. I would suggest wrapping it in foil and adding some sort of extra oil or fat to the bird during the cooking process. It's not healthy, but it's thanksgiving. Screw healthy. Eat amazing turkey.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
*commences shunning*

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one on here who loves the turkey skin! I've eaten dinners where the hosts REMOVED AND THREW AWAY the skin while carving. They said it was because the skin was "unhealthy for you."

We're about to dig into a meal loaded with carbs, shortening, butter and sugar! What's a little turkey skin at that point?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Love my pets

I saw Trish Yearwood make a turkey by putting into a hot oven for an hour and then turning the heat off. In 4-6 hours, the turkey is done and very tender. I've never tried it, but here is the link to the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html
Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
*commences shunning*

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one on here who loves the turkey skin! I've eaten dinners where the hosts REMOVED AND THREW AWAY the skin while carving. They said it was because the skin was "unhealthy for you."

We're about to dig into a meal loaded with carbs, shortening, butter and sugar! What's a little turkey skin at that point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Perfect advice here.

The slower you cook it at a low temperature, the juicier and tastier it is. Cooking it like that allows the oils to sink into the meat. . . and well, NOM. I would suggest wrapping it in foil and adding some sort of extra oil or fat to the bird during the cooking process. It's not healthy, but it's thanksgiving. Screw healthy. Eat amazing turkey.
I'm Primal/Paleo, which means a ton of natural saturated fats, so I don't have this problem! Makes the holidays so much more awesome.

You know, if I was actually cooking.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Me neither!! At least, it's not my favorite meat.

I usually end up eating Pizza for thanksgiving.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Felurian

The dogs love the skin, lol. Works out well, since I can't stand the taste of it. They get pretty much all the dark meat as well, either after mom's decided to make soup that she knows she won't eat or if reality glimmers in her head for a brief moment and she realizes she can either let them have it before she goes to the extra work of making soup or after.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian