Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-19-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
You should choose option Border Collie, obviously.

This is so simplified, I really didn't mean to make it about my situation per say. I'm still tossing around more than 2 ideas. More of the idea of breed versus breeder.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Active Pup

In that situation right now.

Both breeds fit what I want. I have found breeders of both the "A" and "B" breeds that breeds what I would want in that breed.

I really like both breeds. At this point in time I would prefer breed "A" but I can find my more ideal breeder if I went with "B".

They are basically the "same" except for breeder "A" has a ethical issue. Its a big one for me but for this specific breed I have chosen to take a chance on it and go with breed "A".

I dont think that the breed more important than breeder or that the breeder more important than breed. For my situation I am in right now I have chosen the breed over the breeder but normally I would find both equally important. You really shouldnt go with a breed just because you love the breeder and you shouldnt go with a bad breeder because you love the breed.

(Hope that makes sense. I said breed(er) like 20 times and Im tired )
Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
I'm looking for a dog. So for me, getting the right dog is the most important thing, and breed is secondary. If the breeders of the breed I prefer aren't producing the dogs I want to buy, I'd go to the second breed without much hesitation.
I think this is well said.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm All Ears

What if it's not that the dogs don't fit, it's more of an ethical line? I suppose that varies from person to person. In breed A it's more of a 'not producing the kind of dog I want', or 'not a contract I want to deal with' (aka can't show in what I want to show in), or 'fairly large ethical issue'. Does that change anything?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
You should choose option Border Collie, obviously.
I love it!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
What if it's not that the dogs don't fit, it's more of an ethical line? I suppose that varies from person to person. In breed A it's more of a 'not producing the kind of dog I want', or 'not a contract I want to deal with' (aka can't show in what I want to show in), or 'fairly large ethical issue'. Does that change anything?
I'll walk away from a breeder with the most perfect dogs because of a contract I won't sign. That's my biggest road block with breeders to be honest, the contract.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Not for me. I'd consider those three reasons fairly equal in making my decision.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Original Twin

If I am looking for a dog, the breed is important. I'm not going to get the same stuff from a golden or a lab that I am from a Malinois or a Dutch. Granted, I haven't actually had the chance to go through a breeder yet because the right dog happens to just fall into my lap anyways, but before I got Nico, I had a deposit down on a pup. The breeder MOSTLY hit all my notes but a few, but she was producing some of the only dogs I liked. She did a few things that I didn't like, but overall, like Linds said, I'm going to be living with the dog, not the breeder.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Restriction on what sport I can or cannot participate in are definite game changers. Why should a breeder have the right to tell me I can or cannot participate in agility or lure coursing, or frisbee, or hunting, or herding, etc. For showing/AKC, that's a different thing because it is a big thing for some breeds and I think you can find decent dogs on whatever side of the line you fall. So moot point on the show.

To be honest, I believe you can find the right dog in more than one breeder. I don't believe that a breeder could be so specific that you cannot find an equally compatible dog in another breeder (unless it is a not-so-well-known breed or the breeder is trying to take a new direction with the breed). Would they be exactly the same? No. But I don't believe they would be any less of what you need/like. If that makes sense?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
If I am looking for a dog, the breed is important. I'm not going to get the same stuff from a golden or a lab that I am from a Malinois or a Dutch. Granted, I haven't actually had the chance to go through a breeder yet because the right dog happens to just fall into my lap anyways, but before I got Nico, I had a deposit down on a pup. The breeder MOSTLY hit all my notes but a few, but she was producing some of the only dogs I liked. She did a few things that I didn't like, but overall, like Linds said, I'm going to be living with the dog, not the breeder.
What if it's more of malinois vs dutch or something along those lines? Or golden vs lab? Similar breeds, same family of dogs, etc.