Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

Default Average price for your breed?

Just a spin-off thread because I'm curious.

What's the average price for your breed? Or what would you expect to pay? I don't really have a breed right now, just my muttlies.

I'm especially curious about ranges for papillons, staffordshire bull terriers, poodles (all sizes) and whippets but I'd love to get the general idea of any breeds.

If there are price differences common to your breed, could you share them as well. I.e. differences for show, working, colours etc.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

For show quality Amstaffs and SBT's, expect to pay around $1500. Of course, it varies.. some go for more, some go for less.. if you establish a relationship with breeders, sometimes they'll even offer you pups for free.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:11 PM
& the Muttly Crew

~ $1000-1600. Of course there are outliers, due to various circumstances. You're not likely to see a $300 newspaper classified puppy since FCRs don't have the BYB and large scale commercial breeding presence that many breeds do but as with any breed there are certainly unscrupulous breeders out there...they just may not be as blatant.

FCRs generally have a larger litter size (5-8ish?), and normally breed and whelp naturally (though AI is fairly common due to the distance between dogs, being a less common breed) -- all of which help vs. say a breed that is normally AI/C-section, is often cropped/docked, and/or produces extremely small litters.

On the other hand you will not find a good breeder who doesn't do a lot of health testing (often even of related dogs that won't themselves be bred) and the % of dogs with titles on both ends of their names is pretty amazing...all of which is expensive especially when you're talking many dogs and infrequent litters.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 11-19-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Top Dog

Tollers seem to average $1600-$1800 nowadays. Some breeders ask for a lot more, and some breeders seem to vary pricing based on individual litters and/or puppy quality, but overall I'd say that $1600-$1800 is about average. When I was visiting my next Toller breeder this summer she also said that was the average.

No idea what the average for Dobermans is as I've never looked into getting another or talked to any breeders other than the one my dogs are from. My two were approx $1400 (included cropping/docking), but I think that's on the low end of the spectrum. And it was also almost 4 and 5 years ago. I hear of many people paying more like $2000-$3000.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
~ $1000-1600. Of course there are outliers, due to various circumstances. You're not likely to see a $300 newspaper classified puppy since FCRs don't have the BYB and large scale commercial breeding presence that many breeds do but as with any breed there are certainly unscrupulous breeders out there...they just may not be as blatant.

FCRs generally have a larger litter size (5-8ish?), and normally breed and whelp naturally (though AI is fairly common due to the distance between dogs, being a less common breed) -- all of which help vs. say a breed that is normally AI/C-section, is often cropped/docked, and/or produces extremely small litters.

On the other hand you will not find a good breeder who doesn't do a lot of health testing (often even of related dogs that won't themselves be bred) and the % of dogs with titles on both ends of their names is pretty amazing...all of which is expensive especially when you're talking many dogs and infrequent litters.
The health testing an titles on each end are some of the biggest reasons I love the breed as a whole.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 PM
BRT - "the black watch"

BRT:
The average is $3,500 (and up).
Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Top Dog

Depends on the aesthetics you are looking for, primarily. Sibes can cost anywhere from $200-$800 depending on coat and eye color. Keep adding on a hundred for every "wooly", "champion bloodlines", "seppala bloodlines", "rare color", or whatever else they choose to blow up your ass, pretty much. Health testing is rarely done, but you'll probably pay an additional $100-$250 for a "Health Contract", stating that a qualified vet has seen the pup and deemed it healthy.

So, $200-$2500 isn't uncommon, depending on the gender, color, etc.

"Average price" is based on coat and eye color, and then seller gimmicks.

Zander is probably a Malamute mix, red and white, with brown/gold eyes. He wouldn't fetch more than $250, and he didn't. His sisters, who were also red and white, but had blue eyes, were sold for $600.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Seems the average for a show quality "english" Lab is around $1000-$1200. Field bred dogs tend to be anywhere from $600-$1200.

Found some nice Chessie breeders (field, but well put together conformationly) around $700. But most of the dual purpose breeders (leaning more towards show lines) were around the $1000-$1200 range too.

Those include health testing out the wazoo and pretty good health contracts, too, IMO. But a byb Lab in the paper without health tests averages about $200 here.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

$1,000-$1,500 seems to be the norm for Tervs around here.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Depends on the aesthetics you are looking for, primarily. Sibes can cost anywhere from $200-$800 depending on coat and eye color. Keep adding on a hundred for every "wooly", "champion bloodlines", "seppala bloodlines", "rare color", or whatever else they choose to blow up your ass, pretty much. Health testing is rarely done, but you'll probably pay an additional $100-$250 for a "Health Contract", stating that a qualified vet has seen the pup and deemed it healthy.

So, $200-$2500 isn't uncommon, depending on the gender, color, etc.

"Average price" is based on coat and eye color, and then seller gimmicks.

Zander is probably a Malamute mix, red and white, with brown/gold eyes. He wouldn't fetch more than $250, and he didn't. His sisters, who were also red and white, but had blue eyes, were sold for $600.
Or I could hit the shelter and get another after the dipwads that bought christmas or whatever puppies get sick of them eating their house... best frickin' $24 ever spent!!!!

Scout was "free" to me, but I guess the shelter sold her for like $600 to her first adopter. Thats f'ing ridiculous for a hoarding bust special even if she is a distance bred sled dog mutt!!!!