Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah we do class 3x a week for Mia, 2x a week for Summer. And then heavy exercise on weekends. I'm lucky though that Mia's cooped up energy is usually not destructive, she just channels it into wanting to play more ball. Summer lives for sleeping so I'm fine there, lol.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Top Dog

Even high energy dogs adapt to whatever schedule you set for them. I can hardly pull Zinga out of bed in the morning because she's used to going back into her crate or going to her crate in my car right after. Both dogs are super calm at work all day except during the lunch break because they are used to that schedule. As long as they receive a consistent outlet for their energy, they will adapt to whenever you give it to them.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 11-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Top Dog

My schedule is either going to work for 10 or 12 am, and getting home at 6 or 8pm. For the winter I'm preferring to work 12-8pm so I can get the dogs out for a while in the morning. Romeo can't see in the dark so...playing ball isn't really cool in the dark. In the summer I'm more lax about the mornings and I spend most evenings out with the dogs.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

We take Jack to the dog park pretty much every day now, and there is no set time because I'm home at least 2 hours a day, and usually more. By day I mean lightness. Also, my dad has decided that he likes to go to the park so he takes them most of the time, and he doesn't have a job. Also, we have a yard that they play in a lot.

and thankfully, Jack is either full steam ahead or full steam asleep, so once he's got his run in he's good to go
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Watson has a lot of energy, but like Sara said he has adapted to the way the schedule falls.

I try to get them out to the park for a good run at least once or twice during the week after work and once a weekend.

If we don't get to do that they entertain and exercise one another with a rumble before bedtime Watson also gets a few minutes of playtime in with me or the better half before bed either tug or fetch.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Even high energy dogs adapt to whatever schedule you set for them. I can hardly pull Zinga out of bed in the morning because she's used to going back into her crate or going to her crate in my car right after. Both dogs are super calm at work all day except during the lunch break because they are used to that schedule. As long as they receive a consistent outlet for their energy, they will adapt to whenever you give it to them.
Will you please inform mine of this? Mine are bouncing on me to get out of bed every morning, as they always have, and yet every morning they go potty and then right into a crate/bathroom/tie down. They never give up that something more exciting may happen each morning, lol. The only smart one in our house is Shamoo who says, forget that this bed is way better than my crate.

I exercise my dogs mostly in the evenings. On tuesday/thursday, right now, I drive Denis to work so I have been taking dogs with me for a new park/new adventure each day. Sometimes it's a walk, sometimes it's fetch, sometimes it's swimming. Otherwise in the evenings after work we walk the dogs and if we have it in us we play ball.

Morning or evening, depending on how annoying the dogs are, we treadmill everyone.

I'm hoping to start bringing one of them to work with me on my mondays so I can start training again first thing before clients arrive and I can use my lunch break for a nice walk.

I really hope we can find some classes/clubs sooner than the "nothing open til March" that I keep running into.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.

Last edited by AdrianneIsabel; 11-19-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Top Dog

Normally, my two babies would have an early morning walk around the block everyday. But if I have to be early at work or if the alarm clock did not work its magic then my boys would have a little bit of playtime in the yard and a short evening walk.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Kind of depends on what sort of high energy you're talking about too. With my dogs, I usually leave them with frozen Kongs when I go to work and that gives them something to do. They have all good frustration tolerances (now) and don't usually get destructive when I can't run them til the evening. They do all need a good leg-stretching every day or they start getting tightly wound, but they are used to having to wait for it. Mira in particular got a lot of work on self-control and getting her excited followed by settling as a pup because I know her parents and well she was going to need those skills lol. Webster is the most prone to frantic energy though I wouldn't say he's the highest energy dog in the house...he's just not as good about handling it.

But in short they get their exercise but the bulk of it isn't at a set time, it's whenever I can. Fortunately nowadays our yard is such that they can get some serious zoomies out of their system at any time, which helps too

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-19-2012, 07:57 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I try to do longer walks in the morning before work. My dogs come to work with me and stay crated all day unless we are really slow and don't have many dogs that day. If they don't have any playtime during the day with the daycare dogs then I play with them in the pens for a little bit after work. That usually tuckers them out for the ride home. After dinner they get another shorter walk since its dark out and where I live there are no street lights so its pitch black outside. After their last walk I tend to pick a dog to do a little training with that night.

Days I'm off work we do longer training sessions, indoor playtime and sometimes Cricket and Joey will go to the dog park. Bamm loves the treadmill and we also do longer walks on my days off.

We also do frozen kongs, chews, bones, antlers etc for crate time.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Top Dog

I had to take Bailey out early in the morning before work or on my lunch hour if I didn't want to come home to a keyed up, crazy, "can't sit still for two more seconds" dog after work. And that was doable 99% of the time. She's far less needy now, and right now she still can't run so... she gets walked 3-4-5 times a day while she's with my mom and makes do with that.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years