Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
Every state does have a group. I even heard people here claiming the united states were going to split into two countries... civil war style.
I think all the notice it's getting is because Texas actually got enough signatures on the petition to quality for a response from the White House.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:33 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
Every state does have a group. I even heard people here claiming the united states were going to split into two countries... civil war style.

I think that the texan group might just be a bit more vocal about it, and everyone knows texans are actually crazy enough to do it. lol.

But yeah, if you just ignore it it will eventually go away. It hasn't even been a month since the election.
I had to look it up because I'd never even heard a whisper of such a thing in my state. Apparently there is indeed a petition...which has be signed by the equivalent of 0.03% of the populations of the state. But it gets better...looking down through the signature list (online), perhaps 1 in 10 at most are actually people from Ohio. Most of the signatures have a location listed as Texas, North Carolina, etc. So make that less than 0.003% of the state that signed the online version anyway. Quite a movement they got going there...

There was also one guy who apparently wrote a book and tried to start a movement. The book flopped of course and his site is closed down due to lack of traffic/interest. Apparently we are just not secessionist folk.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Felurian

Interesting article, especially on Vermont: http://middleburyinstitute.org/fromlittleacorns.html

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Walks into Mordor

I've heard that there are quite a few signatures on the Texas petition from people in other states. It makes me wonder: do they want Texas to secede so they can move here, or are they just trying to get rid of Texas?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Felurian

From the Secessionist convention in Chattanooga, TN -- in 2007

They don't sound so crazy . . .

Quote:
We, the delegates of the secession movements represented at the Second North American Secessionist Convention, acknowledging our differences, yet agree on the following truths:

1. The deepest questions of human liberty and government facing our time go beyond right and left, and in fact have made the old left-right split meaningless and dead.

2. The privileges, monopolies, and powers that private corporations have won from government threaten everyone***8217;s health, prosperity, and liberty, and have already killed American self-government by the people.

3. The power of corporations endangers liberty as much as government power, especially when they are combined as in the American Empire.

4. Liberty can only survive if political power is returned from faraway and self-interested centers to local communities and states.

5. The American Empire is no longer a nation or a republic, but has become a tyrant aggressive abroad and despotic at home.

6. The states of the American union are and of right ought to be, free and self-governing.

7. Without secession, liberty and self-government can never be sustained, and diversity among human societies can never survive.

Signed:
Mark A. Thomey Franklin Sanders
Thomas R. McBerry, Jr. Thomas Moore
Eugene C. Case Larry S. Kilgore
Lynette Clark Dexter O. Clark
David Towery Michael C. Tuggle
Walter D. Kennedy Robert Pritchett
Cory Burnell Thomas N. Naylor
Kirkpatrick Sale Michael Hill
http://www.middleburyinstitute.org/c...ation2007.html

http://www.middleburyinstitute.org/

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Mutts to you

I don't know... I see the petitions as more of a statement that folks don't like where the federal government is heading and are making that point in a way that gets some attention from the media, and though I doubt it will work, the White House... Sure, there are a few who are serious but I think the majority see secession only as an absolute last resort.

Interesting how other petitions have cropped up labeling those people who signed the secession petitions as traitors who should be charged with treason and jailed - guess those folks think free speech is only for people who agree with them...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Im not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 11-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Interesting how other petitions have cropped up labeling those people who signed the secession petitions as traitors who should be charged with treason and jailed - guess those folks think free speech is only for people who agree with them...
My thoughts exactly. *sigh*
Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Squishy face

I can honestly say that, if anyone in VA has ever spoken seriously of seceding, I have never heard of it.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Top Dog

Free speech is one think, trying to secede IMHO is totally another.

Secession is serious, its not something you use as a threat or protest. If you say it, you should mean it and have a plan and yes, I do think its treasonous. (And I am not talking about mentioning it in passing, I am talking about signing petitions etc)
Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Free speech is one think, trying to secede IMHO is totally another.

Secession is serious, its not something you use as a threat or protest. If you say it, you should mean it and have a plan and yes, I do think its treasonous. (And I am not talking about mentioning it in passing, I am talking about signing petitions etc)
But is it really treasonous? Is revolution not a responsibility when the most basic principles of the Constitution -- that which defines this country from its conception -- have been subverted and even outright discarded?

Quote:
The liberties of our Country, the freedom of our civil constitution are worth defending at all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have receiv'd them as a fair Inheritance from our worthy Ancestors: They purchas'd them for us with toil and danger and expence of treasure and blood; and transmitted them to us with care and diligence. It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present generation, enlightened as it is, if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle; or be cheated out of them by the artifices of false and designing men. Of the latter we are in most danger at present: Let us therefore be aware of it. Let us contemplate our forefathers and posterity; and resolve to maintain the rights bequeath'd to us from the former, for the sake of the latter. Instead of sitting down satisfied with the efforts we have already made, which is the wish of our enemies, the necessity of the times, more than ever, calls for our utmost circumspection, deliberation, fortitude, and perseverance. Let us remember that "if we suffer tamely a lawless attack upon our liberty, we encourage it, and involve others in our doom." It is a very serious consideration, which should deeply impress our minds, that millions yet unborn may be the miserable sharers of the event.

~Samuel Adams, October, 1771

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian