Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
It sounds like you've been practicing at home, which is great, but even practice crosses on your own, without Jackson. Learning the crosses is like learning any other skill (dance moves, etc) and practice will pay off!

I teach an intro to handling course and I see this all the time. Great teams, but the handler gets frazzled and things quickly fall apart. Don't be scared to break every sequence up into manageable pieces. We split things apart to make learning easier for our dogs, so do the same for you.

Also, we'd like to see video of the cute guy in action.
Definitely! Thanks!

And yesss, I want to get video, it's hard when you don't really 'know' anyone in the class, but most seem nice, so maybe one will video some for me. Or maybe I could secretly set up my phone lol.

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm All Ears

We've been ordered to either video tape or write everything down. It's going to be dakr though since we're outside and it's winter.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

We worked big time on distractions tonight. It was hilarious, the trainer was dragging a rabbit pelt around the course, my husband was kneeling down in the corner clapping and cheering, and another student was throwing tennis balls and shaking containers of kibble. Ooooh boy, her little brain was going nuts!

It was really cool though by the third time through the course tonight, you could see her peak at the distractions, think, "IT'S A TRAP!" and move forward. So proud of my little goober
Old 11-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

Well, Gusto went to his first USDAA Intro Program trial today and was wonderful!

It was in the barn where our club has practices, so Gusto has been 3 times before - and it didn't always go well. Dirt floor, treats dropped everywhere, pigeon poop in the corners - I have a herding dog mix now instead of a hound mix, and this is the one that I can't keep from sniffing everywhere! I went in with the plan of doing *lots* of warm-up (not jumping, but tricks and hand touches and It's Yer Choice) and hoping for the best.

His standard course was very good. He did stop halfway on the teeter, but it was because there was something stuck to the rubber on it and he wanted to check it out. Nothing made me think it was a worried stop. Great contacts on the A-frame, stayed with me coming off the table (he's very prone to 'oh, she released me, I'm going to go see what's over here'). He got a bit distracted going into the weaves and I lost him for a second, but he came back to me and hit his entry. He was then so fast and uncollected that he missed some weaves, but I took it, ran on and stuck with my plan to not fix things in the ring.

The first and Q were from Snooker. He took the backside of a jump or two in the opening, because I sometimes still trust that he's going to seek the jump out himself and wound up sending him past them, but stuck with me, did the plan as I wanted, and ran ahead of me to the last jump, seeking it out.

Jumpers was a disaster. I got confused about which jump was after a tunnel early in the course, and as soon as I made it clear I was uncertain, he checked out completely. As much as I get frustrated when he disconnects from me, he had a perfectly valid reason there and I'm okay with that. Just frustrated with myself - I never get lost on course!

All in all, I was really pleased with his performance. I'm going to go ahead and enter him in some Starters classes at a December trial and see what we have there. Onward and upwards!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Mutts to you

Yay, Gusto!

Riley does the same disconnect thing to me if I hesitate or screw up on course (at lessons). Haven't had the nerve to try him at a trial - he gets distracted so easily.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

Way to go Gusto!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Wahoo!!! YAY Gusto!!!

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

Go Gusto! That's awesome!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Glad you and Gusto had a good time

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

I just want to say that I am so frustrated with Zuma's inability to wrap jumps... and so impressed with Zinga's ability to wrap jumps. We are starting cik/cap all over again with Zuma, hopefully this is the last time.