Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Question The yellow dog project.

Anyone else heard of this? Seems a good idea, but doubt most people would have heard of it. So pointless...

http://www.theyellowdogproject.com/T...ject/Home.html

What Is Yellow Dog?
The Yellow Dog Project was created to bring awareness to dogs who need space while training, recovering from surgery, or being rehabilitated.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Water Junkie

Yup! It came about 4 or 5 months ago in my DockDogs circle.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Felurian

I like the concept.

But there are awareness ribbons for ALLTHEFREAKINGTHINGS . . . and unlikely that non-dog savvy people are going to know what it means (and they're usually the ones who assume it's fine to approach a dog without asking), which might lead to it being a conversation starter and more attention to the dog who wants to be left alone?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

Yeah I've heard of it but I agree, if the general public doesn't know then it's not going to do any good.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Water Junkie

For dog sporting events (especially like dock diving where you have *tons* of newbies depending on the event) I think it might be a good idea. You wouldn't believe how stupid some dog sport people are about controlling their dog.

But in general, I agree, can you just keep your dog to yourself and avoid all this in the first place? Really?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Top Dog

Saw this on facebook a while ago, and I think it's great.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 11-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
For dog sporting events (especially like dock diving where you have *tons* of newbies depending on the event) I think it might be a good idea. You wouldn't believe how stupid some dog sport people are about controlling their dog.
I bet you are right that it is because dock diving attracts so many people new to dog sports. I read this initially and thought "really?!", but I'm used to dog sport people being agility people - who obviously have been in the training world for quite a while prior to going to trials (one would hope). Trials are one of the few places that Meg never gets stressed about other dogs, because she is so comfortable. Agility people keep their dogs to themselves in my experience.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Resident fainting goat

People started putting up these signs at park entrances and I think they have helped! They may not help with Joe Public on the sidewalk but at least in the park, people know what it means.

I don't think the park officially did it or anything lol from what it looks like someone just printed off a sign, got it laminated and zip-tied it to a bunch of places. I mean, whatever works! LOL I'm happy they are there and a few dogs I walk now proudly sport yellow ribbons and people do know what it means.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Love My Mutt <3

The issue is... I've seen the same thing multiple times, with different colours, depending on the area.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Dog Scouts has done this for years- they have yellow bandanas for dog reactivity, rainbow bandanas for shy dogs, and a dog bone bandana for dogs with food allergies.

Our local troop is has a plan to try and get local dog-friendly businesses, dog parks and hiking trails to put up the yellow dog poster that Lili Chin did.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?