Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

Default Moral dilemma: Bordatella vaccine

So, I'm pretty much against the bordatella vaccine. My dog doesn't go to a public groomer, daycare, boarding, etc. He's had two bordatella vaccines in the past, and once he still got kennel cough even after getting the vaccine.

I'm extremely minimal vaccines, and just don't see the need, and didn't plan on getting him anymore except for rabies, and maybe distemper in another 2 years (that would be 5 years since getting it last). But very very minimal.

There's a canine fitness center near me where dogs can go swimming, etc. I wanted to take Jackson there and scheduled him for Wednesday but he has to be UTD on bordatella (and rabies every 3yrs, and distemper every 5yrs). The bordatella vaccine was last given on Nov. 3, 2011, so it's "late" according to them ...

So, do I go against what I essentially 'believe' so he can go swimming maybe 3x this winter for some exercise ($32 for 30 mins, or $24 for 15 mins), or just skip it ... it's not like he doesn't swim all summer long in my dads pool, but I just thought it'd be different for him to do and get him extra tired out. Or is bordatella just not that big of a deal? Ugh, I just think it's so unnecessary.

Thoughts?

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't vaccinate, and I'd skip the swimming. But swimming isn't a big deal for my dogs, they generally don't want anything to do with it.

I do the same thing vaccine-wise. Rabies every 3 years by law, distemper every 5+ years (I'm at year 3 now, so by the time year 5 rolls around I will probably have changed my mind), and no bordatella, lyme, lepto, flu, etc
Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I think that's a pretty personal decision. I personally would not give my dogs bordatella vaccines for that since from what I've seen they don't do much good and my dogs are low-risk anyway.

But that's just me.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I wouldn't vaccinate, and I'd skip the swimming. But swimming isn't a big deal for my dogs, they generally don't want anything to do with it.

I do the same thing vaccine-wise. Rabies every 3 years by law, distemper every 5+ years (I'm at year 3 now, so by the time year 5 rolls around I will probably have changed my mind), and no bordatella, lyme, lepto, flu, etc
Ditto.

I'll have this dilemma when we ship Zander. I don't want to give all that crap to him, but it's going to be required. I'll fight it as much as I can because he is NOT required to have anything except rabies, but USAF says differently.

And ditto with ME, too. I'm being pressured to get the flu shot because I "need" it, but I don't want it. It doesn't cover all flu viruses, it's going to set off my Crohn's, just no.

Another minimalist here.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Top Dog

Will they allow you to sign a waiver saying you accept the risks?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Top Dog

Argh, you guys all have the same thoughts as me! LOL ... Jackson loooovesss to swim, so I know he'd love it, and I just know he'd get really tired out (which is hard, he seems to have a ton of energy in the winter/fall). But I can't really afford it on a weekly basis anyway, so I guess just one or two times might not be worth it.

I have his vet appt. scheduled for tomorrow at 2:30, for his yearly and I told them on the phone he needed bordatella updated too, so does that matter? When I get there should I just say, I changed my mind? lol ... my vet isn't pushy, but I still always feel like awkward, like if she comes in with the shot (nasal stuff), I'll feel like an idiot being like "No, nevermind". I'm weird and un-confrontational with professionals.

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Argh, you guys all have the same thoughts as me! LOL ... Jackson loooovesss to swim, so I know he'd love it, and I just know he'd get really tired out (which is hard, he seems to have a ton of energy in the winter/fall). But I can't really afford it on a weekly basis anyway, so I guess just one or two times might not be worth it.

I have his vet appt. scheduled for tomorrow at 2:30, for his yearly and I told them on the phone he needed bordatella updated too, so does that matter? When I get there should I just say, I changed my mind? lol ... my vet isn't pushy, but I still always feel like awkward, like if she comes in with the shot (nasal stuff), I'll feel like an idiot being like "No, nevermind". I'm weird.
If you seem firm and confident..usually vets will leave you be.
Walk in and tell the tech or vet "Oh and I changed my mind, he won't be getting the bordatella vaccine."

and that's that.
I don't have patience for pushy vets. I'm paying you bucko.. last time I checked it's still my dog.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post

I have his vet appt. scheduled for tomorrow at 2:30, for his yearly and I told them on the phone he needed bordatella updated too, so does that matter? When I get there should I just say, I changed my mind? lol ... my vet isn't pushy, but I still always feel like awkward, like if she comes in with the shot (nasal stuff), I'll feel like an idiot being like "No, nevermind". I'm weird and un-confrontational with professionals.
As long as you mention it before the tech or vet pulls it...like at the counter or whatever, it should be fine.

They get a little bitchy sometimes if you say it after they pull it, though, because they have to throw it away. Waste of a shot.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Will they allow you to sign a waiver saying you accept the risks?
Probably not, they seem fairly strict, and it was the first thing they asked on the phone after my name. Funny thing is, most places don't even ask me to be honest ... lol. His mobile groomer has never asked for his shot records, even rabies, nor did our agility class, or anywhere else I bring him.

Their rules on their site state:

What are your shot requirements?
- Rabies every three years, Distemper every five years and Bordatella annually.

Is titer testing acceptable in lieu of shots?
- "No, we follow the guidelines of the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). They do not recognize titer testing as a substitution for vaccination."

We will accept titer test results for Distemper with the following parameters:

Proof the attending vet will not give the dog a Distemper vaccination.
Proof the dog had the puppy Distemper series and consistent Distemper boosters until the age of 7
Annual titer testing with a 1.5 or higher

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
If you seem firm and confident..usually vets will leave you be.
Walk in and tell the tech or vet "Oh and I changed my mind, he won't be getting the bordatella vaccine."

and that's that.
I don't have patience for pushy vets. I'm paying you bucko.. last time I checked it's still my dog.
Thanks! I was proud of myself last time we were at the vet, it was a different one than our normal vet and she was like ' I really really recommend the lymes vaccine' and I said 'oh no, not today' and that was that! I used to just cave and be like 'oohh okay, whatever you say ... ' LOL.

I'll just say something right when I walk in then to avoid the issue.

Brit & Jackson