Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Default Obedience and Rally O training

Ok, here it is, I finally did it, so you all better show up now!

I'll start! I've got Mackenzy, 7 yrs old. She has her CD and RA, and one leg of her CDX. We're holding off on further trialing to get some foundation issues straightened out.

And then there's the Keeva, she's a baby with no titles, and we're going make sure we're very, very ready before we go in the ring because I'd like to pull high scores ideally.

So, what I'd love thoughts on are two issues Mackenzy is having:

1.) Slow down on recall. She always does it, and she always does it well enough to Q but it's slower than I'd like. Keeva has a "dig front nails in and slam down" down in motion, Macky creeps. I've done a lot of fast "chase me and then DOWN!" games, and lots of DIM (down in motion, from here on out) while heeling practice.

2.) Some dumbbell issues... She will often wait for a second cue to take her dumbbell, or want me to "help" her with my body. I would LOVE any suggestions for this one, as well as some ideas on increasing her enthusiasm in general. Her enthusiasm isn't bad (moves at a brisk trot) but I'd love it to be better!

Now, with Keeva, and again, I'd kill for your thoughts, things are going really well aside from her distractible baby brain, but, she's uncomfortable with the "fast" portion of heeling - totally thinks I'm going to step on her, and swings really wide so she can watch me. Again, halps?

Alright, now it's your turn with suggestions and your own issues/triumphs. Like I said, you'd better show up!

I should have some video up later today.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Well, I'm doing Schutzhund style obedience with Kastle, not AKC, or at least, not right now. Hope that's ok.

We are working on correct positioning/head position in heel. He has gorgeous, prancey, focused heeling, but my TD really wants to make sure his position is technically correct so I'm working on that really hard.

He's also a nutjob in basic, so we're working on calming down in basic.

He has started his out of motion exercises, but they are all just started and no farther so I need to finish those.

Long down is non-existent so I need to work on that. He's a worrier and a vocalizer, so I have a lot to work on.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Well, I'm doing Schutzhund style obedience with Kastle, not AKC, or at least, not right now. Hope that's ok.
Totally ok! There are a lot of similar exercises. And I always joke that I'm gonna get a BH on Keeva. LOL

Actually, I'm working on refining both my girls' positions. Macky can be laggy, and Keeva is the opposite... Like Kastle, she has flashy, prancey, focused heeling but she often forges!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Totally ok! There are a lot of similar exercises. And I always joke that I'm gonna get a BH on Keeva. LOL

Actually, I'm working on refining both my girls' positions. Macky can be laggy, and Keeva is the opposite... Like Kastle, she has flashy, prancey, focused heeling but she often forges!
I started Eden towards her BH but she doesn't have the focus needed to be serious for that long LOL I also started her on tracking but the same issues arose when I decreased the food on the track

I have found that small dogs are chronic forgers as they try to look around our bodies to our faces/eyes.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Backup needs a lot of work on his heeling, he's a worrier, he looks nervous and we're not sure (no matter the happy, jazzy, positive work) how to change this.

Sloan is a bit flat in her heeling as well but not never out of position, we'd just like to see her flashier.

AKC and IPO are pretty much the same, we do both, the AKC is actually harder for Backup because he's nervous in crowds and smaller spaces.

Sloan has her CD and BH and is going for her CDX and APR 1 this winter, ideally. We may attempt our BH with Backup and our CD, we'll see, he may remain an example of bad dog for life.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

I have taught heeling many different ways and over time, have sort of developed my own way to train it. With Savvy I decided to try Silvia Trkman's Heeling is Just Another Trick approach because it fits with what I already do but prevents a common issue I've had - crooked sits and crabbing. So far I really like the results I have gotten with Savvy. It really teaches the dogs a great understanding of heel position and tightness in position. Roust has started the foundation for it too now because he already has a tendency to crab pretty badly. I love the sort of turns you can get with this and all around rear and awareness.

http://youtu.be/rp32djjKdD0
Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Well babydog Kimma only has her RN, but I have high hopes for her. I would LIKE to start working towards her BN relatively soon, and hopefully eventually put her CDX on her. As far as Rally goes, I'd be fine working towards higher titles for a bit more ring experience, but I wouldn't be super upset if she never ended up with an RAE or anything.

She's just a worrier. Always has been. Little radar dish ears moving all the time. And she reads off of my body language SO WELL. Which is an issue since I still get nervous in any ring (conformation/obedience/whatever), and therefore SLOWER. Agility has helped a bit for both of us, as she's gotten more used to working around crowds and lots of dogs and I've gotten used to moving faster, so I'm hoping the next go at an obedience title will be a bit easier than her RN was LOL.

She has great rear end awareness and LOVES finding heel. Recalls/drop on recalls are super fun for her (actually at the only obedience fun match we went to, she was worried during the heeling around the ring but was ALL ABOUT the formal recall/front/finish LOL). It's just improving her focus and getting her to be more confident that I'm worried about. Well, that, and her stays could use some work.

I have not yet taken an obedience class of any kind with her (with the exception of puppy classes), so I'm hoping once I get in to those, she will get more used to things.

OH and she is not a people person, so sit/stand for exams are going to be interesting. She's always been head shy.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 11-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Sport Model Pug

Izzie has her RN and achieved it with a 4th (82) and 2 HICs (100, and 99). She's hitting the mats again this weekend for 3 trials in Advanced A and hopefully we get all three!

She's not quite ready for the obedience ring yet, her heeling duration isn't where it should be but we do fun matches to get ring experience. She's also a weirdo about heeling because of her lack of peripheral vision in her left eye so head-up heeling isn't always there. Oh and i've stepped on her plenty so she's never going to be a super tight stuck to my leg heeler, but we do what we can

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Just watched this video, and I loooove it. Definitely going to give this a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97a2JT_6sX4
(Trkman's heeling method)

Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I have taught heeling many different ways and over time, have sort of developed my own way to train it. With Savvy I decided to try Silvia Trkman's Heeling is Just Another Trick approach because it fits with what I already do but prevents a common issue I've had - crooked sits and crabbing. So far I really like the results I have gotten with Savvy. It really teaches the dogs a great understanding of heel position and tightness in position. Roust has started the foundation for it too now because he already has a tendency to crab pretty badly. I love the sort of turns you can get with this and all around rear and awareness.

http://youtu.be/rp32djjKdD0
I think I need to learn that technique! Been ongoing working on crooked sits and crabbing!

We've been using platforms to clean up heel position and front. A good straight Front is finally getting reliable with Lily. Her heeling is gorgeous, bouncy, zesty, and riveted on me with correct position lol.

Our biggest thing is motion exercises and the send away for long down. Basically because starting out I worked on my own for so long and I didn't know how to teach them. Aaaand now that I do I've gotten distracted working on other stuff.
She does not want to be away from me and really wants to keep engaging with me and that is our largest obstacle with motion exercises/send away/long down. Honestly if we could get that down we could totally get a BH. I'd kind of like to get some ring experience getting Rally titles first though.

We've done quite a few little faux Rally courses with 5-25 signs depending and honestly the exact same speed bumps we've got in IPO style OB are tripping us up in Rally too. That and I'm like whaaaat am I doing, lol. I just need more experience myself going through the motions.

Also doing perchwork working on finding the leg and pivoting with me. She's doing good so far.

Scout has a really nice focused heel. Nice and flashy even. Sometimes she still goes wide,b ut thats Scout spatial issues and dependant on the environment. Perchwork is helping a LOT with her being comfy with being that close to me.

I kinda doubt Scout will ever trial given the environment at trials. You never know she could surprise me! But she did pretty well the first time I took her through a rally course considering we did like 12 signs and she'd never done it before.

Big things:
-motion exercises are non-existant. I still have to kneel down and fake lure her into down. Hey at least she's downing now, only took two years!
-send away is meh. Matwork is helping though. Again she really wants to be interacting with me.
- she can sit stay and long down like a boss though if i've put her in it. All that relaxation protocol I guess!
- Still working on stand.
- she folds backwards 1-3ft when she sitz.... so yeah, thats an issue too. Just too lanky I guess?