Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I used to think that -- but not anymore. I don't think the majority is willing to act. They aren't even willing to look beyond the first two names on a ballot.
Ya, but I don't think a voting thing is going to fix how broken we are. Texas might have the right idea if they can get enough other states to follow. Sometimes knocking down a house and building a new one is better than trying to repair the old one.

IDK....I'm just rambling. I don't care to discuss politics in any capacity, so I think I'll go start making my Christmas Kitchen Curtains! (say that 10 x fast! LOL)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Top Dog

Sorry, if Texas was successful in secession, yeah, they would not last long at all. I think it is ridiculous to use it as some kind of threat when there is no real plan.

And for governors trying to block the affordable health care act, again, ridiculous. Obama was voted in TWICE, by the majority, and one of his biggest platform positions was on reforming healthcare. Now, I am not happy with the act as it stands personally, it needs to go much further.

If you (general you) dont like the way the federal government is running (which I dont think anyone is totally happy with in all aspects) come up with an actual viable working plan. I hear a lot of pipe dreams but see very little that would actually work in the real world. Get a viable plan that does not ostracize huge chunks of the population. Stop trying to use one religion as the basis of policies.

Yes, I will lump all the people who signed a petition to secede into a group...its absolutely ridiculous
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

I actually think the petition to repeal the Pot laws will get more attention.

I know to many closet smokers who are from ALL political parties and economical circles.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Top Dog

There is too much gloom and doom when discussing politics. Succession petitions are merely a protest activity and aren't anything new. Succession is technically impossible. It's true that there are only two viable choices in general elections, but many people don't vote in the primaries.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Big Dog

Again, though: no one is seceding. The SCOTUS decided the issue in 1869, and found that it's unconstitutional.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I am guilty of not following what goes on in other states too closely......we normally have enough issues right here, LOL, so I don't know all the details of Texas right now......but....

I just wanted to agree with the above statement. It's not just who's president RIGHT NOW...it's a whole bale of straw that's been happening for a long time. There is eventually GOING to be that final staw that breaks it all wide open.
Maybe, but I can't see these same people saying it if Romney was elected. Some of the petitions have over 25k signatures.

Sure, you had the whole United States of Canada and Jesusland thing in 04, but this seems more serious. Some of it must be my bias, but maybe because some of these states tried that once already and at least one of those states still flies that flag at its capitol? Texas was quite happy with much the same government for 8 years and now they want to secede? The straw was slightly higher taxes in return for healthcare?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Taxiderpy

I could get behind some rearranging of state boundaries. Eastern WA would love to secede from the entire west coast, lol. Our entire state's election/electoral votes hinge on King County alone, which really isn't fair for the rest of the state's population because the interests of farmers =/= most populated county in the state.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I could get behind some rearranging of state boundaries. Eastern WA would love to secede from the entire west coast, lol. Our entire state's election/electoral votes hinge on King County alone, which really isn't fair for the rest of the state's population because the interests of farmers =/= most populated county in the state.
why isn't it fair? What's the solution? should farmers or rural people get more of a say in elections because they live in less populated areas, pay less taxes, recieve less tax benefits, etc? Do electoral maps need to be changed?

On a side, I often hear this reason as an argument to get rid of the electoral college, but this would just intensify this "problem" but not within states, but nationwide between states.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
why isn't it fair? What's the solution? should farmers or rural people get more of a say in elections because they live in less populated areas, pay less taxes, recieve less tax benefits, etc? Do electoral maps need to be changed?

On a side, I often hear this reason as an argument to get rid of the electoral college, but this would just intensify this "problem" but not within states, but nationwide between states.
I think the point is that most of the state IS farmers besides that one area. You see it in FL alot. If you look at it broken down MOST of the state is red but a few areas are blue and since they are the highly populated areas thats what we usually end up with.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post

The point is, especially for statewide issues, policies on things like how much water farmers are allowed to divert from the Columbia River and things like that are being determined by people who live in the corridor from Olympia to Seattle, who were elected by people in Seattle, who all have NO IDEA about how anything to do with agriculture works and live really far away from the farmers.