Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Here's some info on high protein:

One

Two

Three

There have been a couple recent articles that I have read regarding seniors and lower protein foods, and basically they all say that seniors shouldn't really be put on lower protein foods. Of course I'm not going to be able to find any of those articles now...

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
What does the moisture do to the protein?
It dilutes it. That's why canned food has a low protein content - it's not really low, it's just diluted by water.

NV Raw Chicken:
Quote:
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min): 13.0%
Crude Fat (min): 6.0%
Crude Fiber (max): 2.0%
Moisture (max): 68.0%
Other Nutritional Data
Carbohydrates: 2.05%
Linoleic Acid (Omega 6): 0.999%
Linolenic Acid (Omega 3): 0.249%
Arachidonic Acid: 0.115%
Moisture: 68%

So that means 32% not moisture. 13 of those 32 percentage points are protein, so 13/32=.406 or 40.6% protein as dry matter. Fat is 6/32 or 18.75%.

Even kibble has some moisture. Take my dog's food as an example - Victor Yukon River - 33% crude protein, 15% fat, and 9% moisture. 91% of the food is not moisture, so 33/91 is 36.3% protein and 16.5% fat.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

Thanks PW...very informative and interesting. I'm finished with the first one and now reading through the 2nd one.

Do you think it would be rude to send those links to the vet? Or could it be seen as simply something interesting for him to read? I mean really now....it's no good that vets are spewing out old myths that have been debunked. It's really actually pretty scary if they don't stay abreast of modern science. Some of this stuff was taken from clear back in the 1900's I think it said.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

Oh, thank you Sael...I missed that while typing the other post. I get it now. lol.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Top Dog

Thanks the high heavens for small miracles. It good to know that Chulita is in good spirits and finds the vet visit exciting. Here's hoping that the vet visit gets good result and that Chulita remains with you for a long time.