Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post
We tried to find out and we got 'well its most likely a girl but we couldn't tell 100%'.
They have to say it like that to cover their ass if they were wrong -- this way, there's no chance for a lawsuit

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
Okay guys... These are MY picks, not Josh's.

Boy... Layton Gene.

Girl... Karen Annalise.
For the record, my name is Karen Ann, and I have always liked it No one's ever had a problem pronouncing it, spelling it, or recognizing the gender. The only trouble is everyone always thinks I'm saying "Carrie", but that's okay.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
For the record, my name is Karen Ann, and I have always liked it No one's ever had a problem pronouncing it, spelling it, or recognizing the gender. The only trouble is everyone always thinks I'm saying "Carrie", but that's okay.
Aww, thanks! I've had the name picked out since High School. Karen, for my late aunt, and Annalise because it's pretty, lol. The Annalise will be more of an "Aw-nuh", if that makes sense. Lol.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

What is everyone doing (or have you done) as far as ceremonies...religious, spiritual, naming, etc. Like, baptism/christening/etc kind of things?

I consider myself Buddhist, although I don't practice at any sort of temple or go to meetings. I study Buddhism on my own, try to follow the Buddhist way of life, etc. None of my family is Buddhist (they're mostly agnostic or atheist). I also believe in a lot of pagan/Wiccan traditions, but I don't agree with all of their practices. However, Pagan baby blessing ceremonies have a lot of room for flexibility, and I feel as if it could be appropriate for my situation. It's something done at home, or at a rented space (like a hall), without any religious officials - it's usually led by the parents.

Would it be really, really weird to have a Pagan baby blessing/naming ceremony if I'm not technically a practicing Pagan?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
What is everyone doing (or have you done) as far as ceremonies...religious, spiritual, naming, etc. Like, baptism/christening/etc kind of things?

I consider myself Buddhist, although I don't practice at any sort of temple or go to meetings. I study Buddhism on my own, try to follow the Buddhist way of life, etc. None of my family is Buddhist (they're mostly agnostic or atheist). I also believe in a lot of pagan/Wiccan traditions, but I don't agree with all of their practices. However, Pagan baby blessing ceremonies have a lot of room for flexibility, and I feel as if it could be appropriate for my situation. It's something done at home, or at a rented space (like a hall), without any religious officials - it's usually led by the parents.

Would it be really, really weird to have a Pagan baby blessing/naming ceremony if I'm not technically a practicing Pagan?
My atheist friend had a baby naming ceremony! Everyone sang happy naming day and she didn't tell anyone the name of the child until the official partay! There was no official anything to do or list of rules, they just planned a great party and it involved unveiling the name!

It was amazing!! There was a huge party, there was cake, people made a video for the baby to watch at a later age, bunch of people made toasts and a few of the more religious relatives involved blessings and stuff in theirs, there were personalized M&Ms (which I thought was simply amazing)

Some of the toasts were hilarious, most made me cry..it was awesome!

I think it's great for people to get together, meet the baby, have a party... even if they aren't religious

They later had a baptism, they learned it was really important for her husband grandmother (she didn't want to see the baby end up in baby hell or limbo or whatever). They aren't religious so they figured, what's the harm in a little water on the babies head if it means so much to grammy? The priest was even understanding and was happy to do it.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:29 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

We had Hannah dedicated. Baptisms are for adults or those past the "age of accountability". Baptism needs to be a personal choice to commit their own life to God, so that was out of the question. So we chose a dedication where our Pastor prays over us and Hannah so that we may be steadfast and strong in raising her up and that he may follow God for all her days and just for Gods love and blessing over us

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
We had Hannah dedicated. Baptisms are for adults or those past the "age of accountability". Baptism needs to be a personal choice to commit their own life to God, so that was out of the question. So we chose a dedication where our Pastor prays over us and Hannah so that we may be steadfast and strong in raising her up and that he may follow God for all her days and just for Gods love and blessing over us
I so wish more parents believed in this.

I was baptized as a baby... basically to have a party and for my grandparents (who didn't want their grandbaby to end up in hell. The kind of god that would send a baby to hell is a whole 'nother issue but HEY..) my parents are hardly religious but it was done anyway.
Put in catholic school (not because we were religious but because it was the best private school academically) where I had a first communion because it took $3000 off tuition if your child got it done (this policy has since been revoked. thank goodness) didn't want to do it AT ALL, kicked a fit the whole way through and was basically an atheist without the title even then.. hated missing horseback riding to go to sunday school and certainly hated the dress and ceremony.

By the time I got to high school and confirmation rolled around it was a well researched and decision I understood and I declined .. but I just wish I would've been given the chance to wait for that kind of choice instead of all the ceremonies happening before I was old enough to say no or even really understand it.

Can't complain too much I guess lol at least my parents never forced us to go to church or anything. But still... ugh. And people wonder where the accusation of religious people brainwashing their kids into religion came from. Let the kids make the choice for themselves when they are old enough to even understand it!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

I did a pagan ceremony for Lilah....I was in a circle at the time and it was beautiful. By the time Cian came around I was no longer actively practicing with others so did not do anything formal.

Pagan ceremonies are meant to be modified to fit YOU...they are personal and fit your personal beliefs so yeah, anyone can do them really IMO
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Top Dog

I'm agnostic but I love the idea that Fran posted about the naming party! I would never be able to keep things quiet though...
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

Lots of great ideas, I definitely want to have some sort of celebration/blessing after the baby is born.

Also, these made me laugh: http://www.babyzone.com/mom/motherho...s_67806-page-2

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com