Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

Is there any reason why the two dogs can be crated beside or near each other? And this can be case of SA starting. Agreed, put him in the crate ignore him and don't hover to close, ignore is ignore, the second he is quiet he gets to come out. Also agree with the c/r for quiet, also play the Your In, Your Out game. I would also recommend SG's Crate Games BUT he has to be quiet and not stressing in a crate before you start that program.

Ok, going to rant here...........why in hell do so many breeders not crate their puppies BEFORE they go to their new homes. It isn't fair to the pup on any level nor to the new owners either. So easy to purchase a crate, train the pup in it and then send it to the new home already crated trained with a mat and toys that smell familiar.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Is there any reason why the two dogs can be crated beside or near each other? And this can be case of SA starting. Agreed, put him in the crate ignore him and don't hover to close, ignore is ignore, the second he is quiet he gets to come out. Also agree with the c/r for quiet, also play the Your In, Your Out game. I would also recommend SG's Crate Games BUT he has to be quiet and not stressing in a crate before you start that program.

Ok, going to rant here...........why in hell do so many breeders not crate their puppies BEFORE they go to their new homes. It isn't fair to the pup on any level nor to the new owners either. So easy to purchase a crate, train the pup in it and then send it to the new home already crated trained with a mat and toys that smell familiar.
I'll try the sleeping beside each other tomorrow night, he didn't whine at all tonight and he even went inside by himself during the day to play, so maybe now that he's getting used to the room we can add the crate. Actually there was no reason for them not sleeping together, other than the fact that Rocky seemed very stressed every time Skye howled, so I didn't feel comfortable leaving him there where he wasn't able to just get out if it was too much for him to handle.

I know that Aussies are more prone to develop SA so that's why I'm trying everything in my power to avoid it. Your In, Your Out sounds like fun, we will definitely try that! He really loves the clicker, so I think I just need to give him more confidence and more time and not go too fast with him.

I talked with other people that have Skye's litter mates and they are doing fine with their crates, so I guess I got lucky and got the crazy dog lol but it's okay, we are just going to keep working on it and go a little slower.

--------
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy View Post
Look at Skye's pic. The pup is a beaut and looks very smart too. Have you ever considered the possibility that the pup is trying to wrap YOU around its little paws?
LOL he might as well be! I think I accidentally trained him to grab my legs with his paws whenever I tell him "Who's a cute puppy?"

--------
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

My concern with putting him in the room with Rocky would be that he would become really dependent on Rocky, and start to develop SA from Rocky instead of from you.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

I admit, I am a fan of getting a puppy very slowly used to being alone. I try my best to only leave for short times in the beginning and usually use a small room or hall gated off if possible. I prefer them to sleep with me, either in a crate right by my bed or in bed with me. I just think its a lot to ask for a pup who is used to sleeping in a whole pile to go totally alone cold turkey. Many do it just fine...but I do think it can cause SA in dogs that are predisposed to it.