Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-13-2012, 12:49 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Default Swimmers

I want to get Hyia a really good swimsuit for Christmas. THis is a hard time of year to find such a thing. She swims laps many times a week and needs a suit that is tough but appropriate for a 12 yr old. Does anyone know a company that would be a good place to start looking they could recommend?
THis has to be a one piece, tankini's are out. She hates them with a passion. She wears them out so fast it isnt' funny.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Top Dog

You might try something like this with lots of brands of suits...most, I think are made for lap swimming or swim teamers.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/Popular_Team_Suits_s/1083.htm
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

oh my thanks I like this one a lot. IT seems very appropriate for her age and won't break me either.
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/...tm?color=33318

THat was great. Thank you!!!!!!!! Just what I wanted for her.

I thought about this one but the price is a little steep and for what she does the straps are a bit iffy. I need this one to last more than a couple months.
http://www.sportsauthority.com/large...11626754dt.jpg

Maybe I will compile a list and let her choose. No one says it has to be a surprise.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Top Dog

That IS a nice one. I swim laps and I like a suit that is comfortable, where the straps stay put and which dries quickly. At the YMCA where I swim, they have a centrifuge thing that spins your suit almost dry. It's very cool.

I have a suit that is two pieces and the bottom has a very short little skirt thing. For me, it looks better. But it will give some "drag" if someone is trying to make good time. LOL. But it stays on and works fine for me. But for a younger gal, I think what you found would look perfect. It's great that she likes to swim. It is such a good exercise and has always been my favorite....easy on the joints and just plain fun.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-13-2012, 02:20 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

SHe is up to 200 laps now. She loves the water. SHe has trouble running and it is an issue in gym. She came home one day saying gravity was her problem, in the water she can do summersaults, and swim easy peasy but not so on land..so it must be gravity that gives her grief. Whatever works, I don't care as long as she has found something that helps her cope and gives her exercise. The ymca was awesome about giving us a membership that was truly doable in our income. We have an incredibly nice one.

Thanks again for the help. THat was better than anything I had found and very reasonable.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Felurian

Keep your eyes open for deals on Speedos, too. Grab them when you find them at a price you can do. As much as she's swimming it won't hurt to have extra.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

200 laps? Is this in a 25 yd pool? 72 laps is a mile. (from one end to the other counting as a lap, not down and back)That's nearly 3 miles and so many laps that nobody swims that many in one session...not even competitive swimmers. Is this what she's telling you or did you watch her? LOL. When I swim...when I'm feeling ambitious, I swim 1/2 mile...36 laps and it takes me about 20 minutes....I'm going along moderately, not very fast....use to swim a mile in about 20-30 minutes when I swam on a master's team at the pool where I taught.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

She's counting it one way, and it's a regular sized pool. SHe does half under water and half on top, over a 3 hr period. I haven't watched her do all of them.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Top Dog

If it's the Y, then it's probably a 25 yd. pool. Holy cow! Three hours of lap swimming. I wish I had that gumption. I'd be so fit. lol. Never heard of anyone swimming that many laps at a time. She's going to get fit as a fiddle in short order I'll bet.

Since I was very young, that's how I was. I spent all day at the pool we belonged to. I am as comfortable in water as I am on land. More so. Like she says, gravity can hurt. lol. I taught myself how to swim when I was about 5 yrs old, then took lessons, then swim team. I taught my kids to swim when they were babies. Emily could swim before she could walk....doggie paddle. And she learned to go away from me and come back to the edge and hang on. That was for safety in case she ever fell into a pool. Of course, being a major nervous nelly about water, I always supervised like mad. Then she became a competitive swimmer. She's very good.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

She takes breaks does summer saults come back, plays in the river, comes back, all I know is it is helping relieve her stress and anxiety, giving her a place where she gets praise from the adults around her (a swim coach from the high school was the one that gave her the goal of 200 saying that was what her kids did as a warm up so Hyia made it her goal) and it gives me a break from her, I love her, but it's a small apt and we need some space too. Our Y has a lazy river, that she loves, a water park in the summer, a great slide inside, and a lovely track upstairs. THere is a 0 on out grade for small children with water jets too. The first time I took my grandson as soon as he saw that his hesitation was gone. After our first summer there he was all over that pool. He still won't part with the vest to take the test, even tho I tell him he doesnt' need it, but when he is ready he will. THere is no pressure from me. I just want him to have fun.

Hyia is developing a pretty good set of lungs with all her underwater swimming, she loves that best. THe girl should have been a seal.

I personally turn blue. THat water maybe 80 degrees and warm for everyone else, but I freeze. IT's the hot sauna for me. don't really like getting wet and cold. Notice little children's lips turn blue too if they are in too long. Doesnt' seem to bother Hyia a bit.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!