Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I've got several friends and acquaintances who are in the Book at 25%, Pops, but that's all Cherokee around here.
each nation gets to set it's own standards for full enrollment. what they include depends on how it affects the tribe's income & expenditures. you can claim to be anything you want on forms, census or what have you, but for federal & tribal benefits you have to meet their standard of proof.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Red.Apricot's Avatar
Red.Apricot Red.Apricot is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,837
Default

My boyfriend is (mostly) Mexican and Pakistani. He just puts 'other' on all the forms. No one ever knows 'what he is.' People come up to him speaking all sorts of languages hopefully, which is kind of neat.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,597
Default

My kid will be Native American (not status), White, Hispanic, and Black. They can fill out there forms however they please, but as long as I need to do it for them I'll probably check mixed race or white/hispanic.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
each nation gets to set it's own standards for full enrollment. what they include depends on how it affects the tribe's income & expenditures. you can claim to be anything you want on forms, census or what have you, but for federal & tribal benefits you have to meet their standard of proof.
Several have gone to school on it. The Cherokee seem to have come to the conclusion that there is strength in numbers I believe they spearheaded the movement that resulted in Native American nations being able to run gambling businesses on their lands.
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,629
Default

Not saying it was right, just saying that employers do a lot of stuff they "aren't supposed to" like hire minorities & women because they "have to".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,072
Default

well after hollywood began pumping out "noble savage" characters it became cool to have native heritage. if they ever get a complete map of the human genome & use it to determine benefits A LOT of "native americans" are going to be real butt hurt.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,597
Default

I don't qualify for Iroquois status, and I have the info about what reservation my great grandmother was born on...her mother's gravesite...family photos of them in full Iroquois dress, Iroquois dolls, etc...but my grandfather wasn't full blood so I can't get status, and I don't think my mother (who is 1/4 Indian) can either.

The Iroquois culture is definitely a dying culture, only a handful even know the languages, etc. It's really sad.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
My boyfriend is (mostly) Mexican and Pakistani. He just puts 'other' on all the forms. No one ever knows 'what he is.' People come up to him speaking all sorts of languages hopefully, which is kind of neat.
Yeah my OH gets that all the time too, he's Mexican decent but he doesn't "look" Mexican (whatever that means lol) he has been called Greek, Native American etc lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 10,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Yeah my OH gets that all the time too, he's Mexican decent but he doesn't "look" Mexican (whatever that means lol) he has been called Greek, Native American etc lol
When you really sit down and think about it, the "brown" variety of Mexicans are native American. A lot of them just don't know what tribe. Some do. My kid's dad was Pasqua Yaqui, some are Mayan and they're aware of it, huichol, etc.

And plenty don't know. But they sure aren't of 100% Spanish descent either.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
When you really sit down and think about it, the "brown" variety of Mexicans are native American. A lot of them just don't know what tribe. Some do. My kid's dad was Pasqua Yaqui, some are Mayan and they're aware of it, huichol, etc.

And plenty don't know. But they sure aren't of 100% Spanish descent either.
Yes, you are correct. That didn't occur to me, OH's family is of Aztec decent.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site