Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I've got several friends and acquaintances who are in the Book at 25%, Pops, but that's all Cherokee around here.
each nation gets to set it's own standards for full enrollment. what they include depends on how it affects the tribe's income & expenditures. you can claim to be anything you want on forms, census or what have you, but for federal & tribal benefits you have to meet their standard of proof.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

My boyfriend is (mostly) Mexican and Pakistani. He just puts 'other' on all the forms. No one ever knows 'what he is.' People come up to him speaking all sorts of languages hopefully, which is kind of neat.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

My kid will be Native American (not status), White, Hispanic, and Black. They can fill out there forms however they please, but as long as I need to do it for them I'll probably check mixed race or white/hispanic.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
each nation gets to set it's own standards for full enrollment. what they include depends on how it affects the tribe's income & expenditures. you can claim to be anything you want on forms, census or what have you, but for federal & tribal benefits you have to meet their standard of proof.
Several have gone to school on it. The Cherokee seem to have come to the conclusion that there is strength in numbers I believe they spearheaded the movement that resulted in Native American nations being able to run gambling businesses on their lands.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Not saying it was right, just saying that employers do a lot of stuff they "aren't supposed to" like hire minorities & women because they "have to".
Top Dog

well after hollywood began pumping out "noble savage" characters it became cool to have native heritage. if they ever get a complete map of the human genome & use it to determine benefits A LOT of "native americans" are going to be real butt hurt.
Top Dog

I don't qualify for Iroquois status, and I have the info about what reservation my great grandmother was born on...her mother's gravesite...family photos of them in full Iroquois dress, Iroquois dolls, etc...but my grandfather wasn't full blood so I can't get status, and I don't think my mother (who is 1/4 Indian) can either.

The Iroquois culture is definitely a dying culture, only a handful even know the languages, etc. It's really sad.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
My boyfriend is (mostly) Mexican and Pakistani. He just puts 'other' on all the forms. No one ever knows 'what he is.' People come up to him speaking all sorts of languages hopefully, which is kind of neat.
Yeah my OH gets that all the time too, he's Mexican decent but he doesn't "look" Mexican (whatever that means lol) he has been called Greek, Native American etc lol
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Yeah my OH gets that all the time too, he's Mexican decent but he doesn't "look" Mexican (whatever that means lol) he has been called Greek, Native American etc lol
When you really sit down and think about it, the "brown" variety of Mexicans are native American. A lot of them just don't know what tribe. Some do. My kid's dad was Pasqua Yaqui, some are Mayan and they're aware of it, huichol, etc.

And plenty don't know. But they sure aren't of 100% Spanish descent either.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
When you really sit down and think about it, the "brown" variety of Mexicans are native American. A lot of them just don't know what tribe. Some do. My kid's dad was Pasqua Yaqui, some are Mayan and they're aware of it, huichol, etc.

And plenty don't know. But they sure aren't of 100% Spanish descent either.
Yes, you are correct. That didn't occur to me, OH's family is of Aztec decent.