Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

You know, for all the *equality* that's supposed to be enforced by the government, those ethnic questions on forms don't do anything but ensure that it doesn't exist. If we're ever going to be considered on what we can do or our potential race/ethnic/gender questions on employment/education forms are going to have to go.
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,508
Default

I'm not sure about government forms (don't fill out many of those) I meant just regular forms (doctors, surveys, standardized tests), college applications, job applications etc..etc..

Most I know say African American-Black or some variance of.
I just wish there were more boxes, especially a multi-race box or the option to check more than one. Heck I'd even take just a caribbean box lol don't even have to say which part.
__________________

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 AM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
You know, for all the *equality* that's supposed to be enforced by the government, those ethnic questions on forms don't do anything but ensure that it doesn't exist. If we're ever going to be considered on what we can do or our potential race/ethnic/gender questions on employment/education forms are going to have to go.
They actually do help. Those forms do help to ensure that people aren't receiving treatment differently based on their racial category, to determine where segregation is more prominent, and have many other beneficial uses.

Unfortunately, using (and abusing) them to get government money isn't all that uncommon.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Most of the ones I've seen have a box for "Other." Not perfect, but better than being categorized so broadly.

I know that's the theory, MM, but it manifestly doesn't work out that way
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-11-2012, 12:24 PM
zoe08's Avatar
zoe08 zoe08 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post



Zoe08, I know you don't mean it, but your posts in here are honestly some of the most racist things I've ever read on Chaz. Please, take an African American studies class, or an Anthropology class, Race and Gender studies, anything like that if you get the chance.
#1, I have taken a multicultural class.

#2, I am probably the LEAST racist person here, because I believe if people want EQUALITY then they should get EQUALITY. That means not qualifying for special funds/scholarships/etc because of their race. People jump to "racism" conclusions when people actually do TREAT THEM EQUALLY. If a black person and a white person apply for the same position, but the white person gets it, the employer is immediately considered racist, because they didn't select the black person. Even if the white person had more experience and was a better fit for the position. Just like because I didn't vote for Obama last time, or this time, I am considered a racist. When no way no how would I have voted for him if he was 100% white. I would have voted the same way (republican), even if the republican candidates were black. However how many black people registered and voted for the FIRST time in the 2008 elections, just to vote for a black president, regardless of his policies? A LOT.

I have been on the other end of racism, just because I am white does not mean I don't know what it is like to be a minority. I grew up in a school where there were more hispanic kids than white. Some of them legal, some of them not. I grew up being the one saying that my friends were not different than me. And I ended up being the one ditched in high school, and my best friend would no longer talk to me because her brother formed some "Brown Crowd" group where you could only speak Spanish and fly a Mexican flag.

What disappoints me the most is that these kids want to be all "proud to be Mexican", not at all "proud to be American" when their parents have worked hard, many of them risking everything by coming to America illegally because they wanted their children to have a BETTER life. If Mexico was so great and awesome, than why did their parents bring them here or come here to have them?

You ancestory is different from what you ARE. I have a great grandma directly from Germany, which I guess most of my mother's side is German. My dad's side is mostly Scottish. That doesn't make me a German-Scottish-American. I believe trying to differentiate everyone like that is going further away from the "EQUALITY" everyone so desperately says they want.

It is great to be interested in your ancestory, I love to learn about that stuff, but that doesn't change that I am still an American, and I am proud to be American. My ancestors came here for a reason. And I am thankful to them, because of it, I am an American.

America is a melting pot, the only way for everyone to be equal is for everyone to be American. The more we differentiate ourselves, the more chances for inequality in the workplace, etc. If we all start calling ourselves German/Irish/Scottish/etc Americans, well if the boss is German, he may be more likely to hire the person who writes down 'German American' even if they have no connection to Germany other than some great-great grandparents whom they have never met that were born there and brought to America as children.

The main thing is that if you want to around spouting about how different you are, you shouldn't complain about inequality in the next sentence.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-11-2012, 12:44 PM
darkchild16's Avatar
darkchild16 darkchild16 is offline
We are Home.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Posts: 21,814
Default

I know my dad considers himself German American.

His mother was German (born and raised in Manheim, her family is still there) he was born on an Army base in Germany but his father is American (from Virginia)

I am American but english/scottish decent.

Jeremy is French Canadian/??? decent but American.
__________________

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie



Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:00 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe08 View Post
#1, I have taken a multicultural class.
What exactly is a "multicultural class"? Like, what was the course summary or did the curriculum involve? Because I've never seen one offered and when I googled it nothing came up except material for teachers teaching classes of students of various races, and everything you said in your post is what any Race Studies class I've taken has taught me is a serious cause of racism in our country.

The "I'm not racist, I think everyone should have equal rights" attitude, where it's claimed "well if everyone acted the same and ignored their differences and didn't throw their racial category into everything, there wouldn't be any problems."
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,508
Default

Racism is not people being mean to you.
-ďI got bullied in school for being white. You canít tell me thatís not racist!Ē No, this is called you being picked on by a mean child.
- "Oh but he called me a cracker!" ...oh the name people came up because of the sound a whip makes? Please PLEASE tell me how that is the same thing as being called the N word. I DARE YOU.
- "But people can be racist against white people too!"

No, they cannot. There is an inherent logical fallacy in your argument that will never make it true. However, white people can be discrimated against. Discrimination is different from racism.
Letís start from the beginning. Your first step is to accept that being mean to someone because of their race is not what racism is
Racism is when intolerance in government laws, attitudes, the justice system and ideals of a society are ingrained in a culture to the point where patterns of discrimination towards a certain race are institutionalized as normal. If you keep this in mind, youíll understand that reverse racism doesnít- and canít- exist.

and why is it white people are so scared to be a minority? "There are more _____ people than white people at ______!! BLASPHEMY!!"
Is it because minorities are treated badly or something?
lol who would've thought.



Take a minute and wonder why people of color and minorities have scholarships and workplace incentives in the first place.
If all was fair and every one was just american and people were making a big deal over nothing, wouldn't things just balance out naturally?
Why are most universities STILL majority white? and yet people still kick a bit over affirmative action. Even with it, look around a typical university, even boasting their high diversity rates, take a moment and look at what race is still the norm. Think about, no matter how small of a fraction minorities represent at most universities, how they are seen.
I have attended two universities in my life. I am literally pictured on the diversity pamphlet in their welcome packet for BOTH.

Oh but please, continue to cry over the white guy that got passed over for the job because a minority got hired.
Like that is SUCH a common scenario. I hear this argument all the time and frankly, I look around offices and companies, and think about how common it could possibly be. Does it happen? sure, lots of things happen.. but is it a more common occurence than the systematic racist views of businesses who will NOT hire a person of color due to racist stereotypes? Doubt it.

I have never seen ANYONE give a second glance to an employer hiring somebody that was white. Nobody questions that choice. but hire someone of color when somebody white also applied? ..there must be something going on there. tax cuts? forced diversity?

There are a lot of things I personally dislike about Affirmative Action but the thing that gets me the most is the notion that every moderately well off African-American individual is only moderately well off because of it. From President Obama, to Herman Cain, to Alan West there's this idiotic idea that these guys were handed everything and got to where they are because the system favors them. That they don't deserve what they have, they took high profile positions because of their skin and nothing more.

After numerous studies shown that employers will not hire "black sounding" names with the same resume as more common "white" names, after 'Mud People loans', Redlining, disproportional conviction rates, sentencing rates, and poverty rates why do they feel the most victimized? It's pretty simple, what you're feeling isn't discrimination or "reverse racism". What you happen to be feeling is known as a loss of entitlement.

Oh but "whinneee look at all the black people who voted for Obama because he was black". I'm sure there weren't people who voted for Romney because he wasn't.


Please continue to tell me how hard it is to be a white man running for president of the united states.
I mean, look at the history books! Look at all the minorities that were once presidents! It's so easy!!
Oh but I forgot, black people vote for Obama because he's black. White people voted for him because of his economic policies and stance on equality.

America is a melting pot. Melting pot =/= everyone just abiding by the culture that is most popular here. Everybody should be totally allowed to celebrate their heritage because THAT is what a true melting pot is.
The argument of "I'm not racist. I just think we should have a melting pot where they should act like everyone else, then we wouldn't have a problem" is not a good one.

I would love true equality.. I would love for race to not matter. but it does.
The first step is recognizing that fact.
__________________

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.

Last edited by Fran101; 11-11-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: adding quotes from various sources that say it better than I can
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Racism is not people being mean to you.
-ďI got bullied in school for being white. You canít tell me thatís not racist!Ē No, this is called you being picked on by a mean child.
- "Oh but he called me a cracker!" ...oh the name people came up because of the sound a whip makes? Please PLEASE tell me how that is the same thing as being called the N word. I DARE YOU.
- "But people can be racist against white people too!"
I was going to comment on that, too, but decided to just leave it. Yeah, I'm sure having the other high school kids omit you from their "club" for being white was just as traumatizing for all those kids who couldn't walk down the street at night for fear of being arrested, or worse, shot by a police officer
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 29,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
The reason caucasian Americans don't typically self identify as "European American" is because most have the luxury of being able to trace their ancestry to country of origin, or retain direct links to their ancestral land. I look at my family and we're still participating "members" of the same family clan that's been around for over 2,000 years.
I don't think that's true of all or even most white people. I certainly can't trace my family back to a specific country. Heck, I don't even know what I am. Too many orphans sent to orphanages. Too many native americans that didn't stay on tribal lands, so they're hard to identify too. Too many times they changed our last name. My surname truly just pops up in the US. They think it was originally German, but they don't know for sure. Too many racist people that wouldn't ever talk about certain ancestors. I know my grandma's dad was 'brown' (my eldest uncle was the only one to see him and he was a little kid). But we have no idea what kind of 'brown' he was.

The only ones really traced well is my great-grandaddy Earp's side. And that's just because Wyatt Earp is famous. And then my mother's maiden name is definitely Scottish. And there's likely some English in there based on some last names.

I've really tried to look into it and most the lines were dead ends. I do know a lot of my friends' families moved here a lot later than mine did so they can say for sure 'I am Swedish.' or 'I am Irish'.
__________________
Mia CGC - (5 year old Papillon)
Hank - (approx. 10 month old Spotty Dog)
Summer TG3 TIAD - (10 year old Papillon)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site