Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
There was a cute little corgi there who looked a lot like your girlie! I smooshed her and she gave me a kiss.

The schnauzers kicked butt and there were even poodles who did well!

This sport is so young I'm sure it will grow, this weekend alone there were, I think, 3 events all preregistered to capacity. This event had 50 and one in NJ supposedly had over 100(?).

I'm excited to see it grow, it's fun and the dogs totally loved it. By backups second fine he was indicating by plastering himself on the rat pipe and refusing to move, I had to lift him off. lol
Awwww, so jealous! How fun! Your videos were fun too - you should post them on here
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Top Dog

!!!!!!! I so NEED to find something like this around here! There is a club that does "earth dog" trials, but Jinj wouldn't even began to fit in the boxes, lol. But just look at him go! He would ROCK any competition! (sorry, still haven't figured out how to embed videos)
http://youtu.be/WNGWWncQC9s
More recently
http://youtu.be/rNgzeBU0l8I

"ZOMG! Let me kill it!"

Old 11-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Felurian

Haven't done it as a sport, lol, but Kharma and Bimmer did it for real

Barn rats can be pretty aggressive.

Be aware that where there's a population of barn rats and vermin there are probably going to be some feral barn cats -- unless there's a coyote population

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Haven't done it as a sport, lol, but Kharma and Bimmer did it for real

Barn rats can be pretty aggressive.

Be aware that where there's a population of barn rats and vermin there are probably going to be some feral barn cats -- unless there's a coyote population
Check out my videos, it's not what you think. It, like lure coursing, is merely an emulation of a barn hunt. It's a test of the dogs ability to go over, under, track and distinguish real rat v rat litter v empty tube. It felt almost like k9nw to me actually only less of an obedience exercise and more of an instinct test, the handle has no idea where the real rat is either and must trust if the dog is cuing on the rat of just looking/bothering where you encourage them to look.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Check out my videos, it's not what you think. It, like lure coursing, is merely an emulation of a barn hunt. It's a test of the dogs ability to go over, under, track and distinguish real rat v rat litter v empty tube. It felt almost like k9nw to me actually only less of an obedience exercise and more of an instinct test, the handle has no idea where the real rat is either and must trust if the dog is cuing on the rat of just looking/bothering where you encourage them to look.
Ah, thanks for the explanation I'm not on my computer right now, on the HP that isn't video-friendly

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Ah, thanks for the explanation I'm not on my computer right now, on the HP that isn't video-friendly
ahhh yeah, my friend who does pest control for free with feist mixes and lurchers gave his concerns as well but really it's not even in a real barn. It's not like dogs that do LC suddenly inspire (sane) owners to start hunting down their meals or dogs that do K9NW suddenly inspire their (sane) owners to start their own drug dog company. lol

He was reasonably concerned about dogs and owners who gain too much confidence with ED trial style stuff losing a dog in a tunnel or to a defensive prey but in this case I didn't see this as an, "Okay, you're ready to explore that abandoned barn and clean it for renovation now!"
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Top Dog

I agree, it's a lot like nosework but more instinct and less training. I'm excited that it's catching on so well!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Felurian

Quote:
ahhh yeah, my friend who does pest control for free with feist mixes and lurchers gave his concerns as well but really it's not even in a real barn. It's not like dogs that do LC suddenly inspire (sane) owners to start hunting down their meals or dogs that do K9NW suddenly inspire their (sane) owners to start their own drug dog company. lol

He was reasonably concerned about dogs and owners who gain too much confidence with ED trial style stuff losing a dog in a tunnel or to a defensive prey but in this case I didn't see this as an, "Okay, you're ready to explore that abandoned barn and clean it for renovation now!"
Yeah, not many worries as far as defensive barn vermin or losing a dog down a tunnel with two Filas and a Bimmer

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Top Dog

lol, I have a barn, my dogs have tanged with coons and rats on a regular basis. When I have a pup, I set a live trap in the barn and catch a nice big rat to instinct test my pups. They are not like pet store feeder rats, they scream, hiss and throw themselves at the sides of the trap when a dog/pup is present. Test simple, pups that turn on I am interested in keeping, next test is to have an adult there and open the cage. Rat bolts, dog kills it. A few times I have had the pup beat the adult to it and get the job done 3rd test is after the pups have seen the adult get the job done is to test the pup alone and release the rat.
When Who was a wee pup, I had her in the barn with me while doing chores. She went under a skid in the feed room, killed a rat and dragged it out.....good girlie.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Felurian

Bimmer had a JRT buddy from the trailer park next door at the farm. They had a blast hunting together and made a good team.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian