Trick of the week!

SaraB

Time to start the Trick of the Week again! Each week, a trick will be picked (hopefully by general consensus), you can post your progress and final videos in this thread. If your dog already knows the trick, try to make it more complicated or work on a specific part of the trick. For example, the first week's trick is Sit Up. If your dog already knows this, work on duration, sit up on a moveable object like an exercise ball or cuing from a distance. If your dog is unable to physically do a trick, feel free to modify as you see fit. Taking sit up for example again, you can teach the dog to sit with their paws on a chair or table for support.

Week One's trick: Sit up!

Ready.... Set.... Go!!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I hope to perfect Finnegan for this... he can sit up, but does it half-assed... I'd like a nice prim Sit Up and will work on it this week. :D Will get a photo and/or video!

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Ooh! I've been wanting to teach him this trick any way! I'll be sure to update as soon as we figure out how! :)

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Anyone have good youtube videos for this particular trick? I'm thinking this one will have to either include lots of luring or props..

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I started with Payton using the frisbee target - put it on my hand and he put one paw, then both paws on the target. Slowly raised my hand. The plan was to keep lifting my hand until we got to a "sit pretty," then start taking my hand away and ask for a maintained position.

Then I cheated and lured Auggie (because he kept whacking me frantically and it hurt) and Payton started doing it because he saw Auggie do it. =P So I have no idea if my plan would have worked. Maybe somebody else will try it that way or can use that to build off?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
So Frodo's finally going to have to perfect his T-rex act then? :p

I may end up just turning it into a stand, sit up is hard for the long guys!

Paige

Let it be
Bandit is so clumsy I am going to modify this one for him. He will be falling over onto his head and that wont be so cute.

I think I'm going to try and teach it to Didgie again since I never perfected it or put a cue to it or any real duration and try to up it a bit with Traveler. Maybe make it into a down, sit up, stand up on the hind legs and back down into the sit up.

Bandit is so clumsy I am going to modify this one for him. He will be falling over onto his head and that wont be so cute.
When we first learned this in a tricks class, the instructor told me that it's harder for big dogs to learn. She had people with bigger dogs stand behind them bracing their back with your knees/legs. Essentially you're spotting them so that they can't fall backwards. Then just lure them straight up with a treat. Once they get what you want them to do and the hang of balancing, you can assist less and less and move around to the front.

I'm going to stick with Squash on this one. He knows it, but doesn't hold it very long and I'd like to work on duration. Here's where we're starting out from (with stealth Maisy down-stay practice in the background, lol):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cOpVpBhLwCY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GoingNowhere

Boo already knows this and since she's not with me right now and I don't get to see her for a while, I'll just post an old video. That way, hopefully once winter break hits and I get the dog for a whole month, I can jump right in!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
We're totally in. I'm loving my CU book. I perfected Blaze's handstand yesterday by shaping. Shaping is SO fun! He was offering so many funny things and having a blast.

It's raining today, so I decided to work on it with everyone a little bit.

As expected, Maisy is having focus problems and has no problems getting up -- but pretty much just wants to jump up completely. So primarily focusing on keeping the butt on the floor to start.

Pip, the challenge is just getting his paws off the floor at all. He's never been a nuisance pawer or jumper, and he's not really a behavior-offerer... he came to me fairly shut down. :( Fortunately he's extremely food motivated, but so far when lured he mostly just stretches his head and neck as far as he can and then gives up and stares at me. I'm marking and rewarding the slightest lifting of a paw at this point, which I can get every so often with a lot of jolly talk.

JacksonsMom

Jax already knows this, but I'll see if I can work on doing it somewhere more difficult, where he needs to balance more and stuff. :)

As expected, Maisy is having focus problems and has no problems getting up -- but pretty much just wants to jump up completely. So primarily focusing on keeping the butt on the floor to start.
I adore Maisy. She makes me laugh!

I remember when I first did this with Traveler he was like "Stand on my hind legs? Stand on my hind legs. Why aren't you giving me food for standing on my hind legs? What if I pogo stick on my hind legs? I SHOULD BE GETTING FOOD FOR THIS!"

I remember when I first did this with Traveler he was like "Stand on my hind legs? Stand on my hind legs. Why aren't you giving me food for standing on my hind legs? What if I pogo stick on my hind legs? I SHOULD BE GETTING FOOD FOR THIS!"
She's like... "OH MY GOD YOU WANT ME TO JUMP UP!!!!!!!!!!!!! wait... no? wut?" aheheh.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution

LOL yeah, this is what Kimma thinks we are doing, too :p

Then she stood there barking at me for like 2 minutes before trying to back up and handstand on something :eek:

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Art Already knows sit pretty and he does it for a while, so I decided to do it on a ball. That was a bit of a challenge, but here's near the end of the first training session. We are still working on sit with Talon ;) lol

Ultimately I want to see if I can get him to balance on the ball without holding it, though I don't know if we will get there. Right now the ball is held between my feet. The ball wiggles while he is on it, but I try to keep it from moving too much.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Saxon keeps standing up all the way to "dance." I think this will be trickier than I thought to teach!

Members online

No members online now.