Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Top Dog

Default Trick of the week!

Time to start the Trick of the Week again! Each week, a trick will be picked (hopefully by general consensus), you can post your progress and final videos in this thread. If your dog already knows the trick, try to make it more complicated or work on a specific part of the trick. For example, the first week's trick is Sit Up. If your dog already knows this, work on duration, sit up on a moveable object like an exercise ball or cuing from a distance. If your dog is unable to physically do a trick, feel free to modify as you see fit. Taking sit up for example again, you can teach the dog to sit with their paws on a chair or table for support.

Week One's trick: Sit up!

Ready.... Set.... Go!!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Wookie Collie

I hope to perfect Finnegan for this... he can sit up, but does it half-assed... I'd like a nice prim Sit Up and will work on it this week. Will get a photo and/or video!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 PM
SBT Lover!!

Ooh! I've been wanting to teach him this trick any way! I'll be sure to update as soon as we figure out how!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Anyone have good youtube videos for this particular trick? I'm thinking this one will have to either include lots of luring or props..
Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I started with Payton using the frisbee target - put it on my hand and he put one paw, then both paws on the target. Slowly raised my hand. The plan was to keep lifting my hand until we got to a "sit pretty," then start taking my hand away and ask for a maintained position.

Then I cheated and lured Auggie (because he kept whacking me frantically and it hurt) and Payton started doing it because he saw Auggie do it. =P So I have no idea if my plan would have worked. Maybe somebody else will try it that way or can use that to build off?

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

So Frodo's finally going to have to perfect his T-rex act then?

I may end up just turning it into a stand, sit up is hard for the long guys!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Let it be

Bandit is so clumsy I am going to modify this one for him. He will be falling over onto his head and that wont be so cute.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Twin 2

I think I'm going to try and teach it to Didgie again since I never perfected it or put a cue to it or any real duration and try to up it a bit with Traveler. Maybe make it into a down, sit up, stand up on the hind legs and back down into the sit up.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Love My Mutt <3

We'll do it! Not sure how I'm going to modify it yet.... possibly sitting up with a chair to balance herself.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-10-2012, 12:52 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
Bandit is so clumsy I am going to modify this one for him. He will be falling over onto his head and that wont be so cute.
When we first learned this in a tricks class, the instructor told me that it's harder for big dogs to learn. She had people with bigger dogs stand behind them bracing their back with your knees/legs. Essentially you're spotting them so that they can't fall backwards. Then just lure them straight up with a treat. Once they get what you want them to do and the hang of balancing, you can assist less and less and move around to the front.

I'm going to stick with Squash on this one. He knows it, but doesn't hold it very long and I'd like to work on duration. Here's where we're starting out from (with stealth Maisy down-stay practice in the background, lol):