Leash training

Hi everyone.
Here is my story: I just brought home a beautiful 6 month old yorkie from a reputable breeder, she is healthy and very smart. My problem is that she REFUSES to move once the leash is on. She sits down and will not move. she loves to play, is very active and has not made a single mess in the house. How do I properly train her to not fear the leash? She likes treats but is not so into them that she goes crazy for them.

Also, she is very shy, due to the fact that the breeder didn't socialize her very much(I suspect). I want her to learn to be social and walk on a leash but I dont want to overwhelm her. If anyone has any suggestions I would LOVE your imput.

Thank you so much!
Kyle & Margaret

Tazwell

Congrats on the new puppy!! :D Do you have a harness on her? I have seen plenty of puppies that are terrified of a harness to begin with, so it's just a thought.

My first suggestion would be to make sure you have a pretty lightweight leash, and put it on her without holding on to it, so that she can just drag it around the house. I wouldn't expect her to run around right away, but leave it on for a good amount of time. supervise, of course.

If she isn't going for that (or maybe in addition to), I would start taking the leash out, showing it to her, and giving her a few treats and praising her. Repeat a few times. Then clip the leash on, praise/treats, and take the leash off right away. Repeat. Then begin to leave it on for a few minutes at a time so long as she's comfortable.

milos_mommy

Tazwell said exactly what I was going to say! Also, you can clip the leash to her during the most pleasant times of day, such as when she's eating her meals, simply cuddling with you, or playing inside.

Make sure you never drag her or force her to walk on the leash when she's very scared. And if she's shy, take socialization very slowly....a dog park or crowded boardwalk isn't the place to take her. Start with walks in quiet places where might meet a few calm people, and invite friends over to meet her one at a time. If she seems overwhelmed by anything, take a step back, she should be enjoying her new experiences.

spiffy

Her shyness may be the cause of your concern. Concentrate on socializing the yorkie first. It would help if you allow the dog to get accustomed to the feel of a leash while it is at home. But take care not to force or drag the dog if it refuses to move.

Members online