Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

that is what I love about our doctor. if she isn't 100% certain on something... she will go and look up information

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-09-2012, 12:30 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
that is what I love about our doctor. if she isn't 100% certain on something... she will go and look up information
thats why we usually go to another in the practice but Jeremy made the appointment and forgot to double check since it was our normal day of the week. Turns out she was on vacation.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Top Dog

Will it be better under a government run and government controlled system? Let's not forget that our government is just as profit hungry as any other business out there.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
We are Home.

I don't know if that's the best answer I do know that making health insurance affordable IS needed I don't pretend to think I know how to go about that.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Will it be better under a government run and government controlled system? Let's not forget that our government is just as profit hungry as any other business out there.
To me, it's really a horse a piece. At this point, yes, there are still a few available choices for private citizens to pick up that actually are worth it. But there are very few independent companies out there anymore, and some like United HealthCare are the largest owners of hospital groups, the insurance groups and a little known company called ingenix that has a lot of power over "medical necessity" decisions and reimbursement.

There are groups of people in those companies that are making health care decisions for people, gov't or not, there is a board of people making decisions for their best interest, NOT yours.

It's been a steady shift of reduced payments to providers, increased premiums to the insured and increased out of pocket expenses in the way of co-pays and deductibles for the insured. The end result, a lot more money being funneled to the boards and share holders of insurance companies.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
My dad is a pharmacist in charge of the ICU ward at a hospital. He has told me before that doctors don't know jack when it comes to prescribing something. Lol But, just like in veterinary medicine...you don't like it, get a second opinion. Go see someone else. Ask the pharmacist. Speak to someone. If the medication isn't working for you, that isn't the doctor's fault if they don't know. And if they do want to put you on another medication to counter a side effect, that may be the best thing for what they are trying to treat. It may not. Ask about other options. This works for our pets, dont see why it wouldnt work for us.
Definitely this. When I was pregnant with Aurelia I worked as a nanny for a pharmacist. She told me to double check with her if I was prescribed anything. Twice she caught class C medications that had been prescribed and the doctor KNEW I was pregnant. Heck, my doctor was pregnant herself!!!! That was messed up.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Big Dog

It was mentioned that we have 'the best' pharmaceutical companies in the world in the US. Personally I don't trust them at all. First of all, when did it become common practice to advertise pharmaceutical medications on tv? To non physicians? That's messed up. Second of all, they aren't interested in actually curing medical conditions because there in no money in that. They are more interested in a constant supply of medications to treat symptoms because that's how they make money.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Fishies!

Our companies probably are the best... at discovering drugs. Its expensive and hard. Other countries might have the scientists, but not the money, and others that have money might not have the number of scientists needed (we have a big pop advantage on Europe).

The TV ads need to go though. We also need not for profit company or government company that will work on and manufacture drugs that won't make money. There is not a lot of incentive to research rare diseases where you'll only help (and yes, sell drugs to) a handful of people.

As for purposely coming up with only temporary treatments? Not so sure about that. Which ones?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:02 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
Our companies probably are the best... at discovering drugs. Its expensive and hard. Other countries might have the scientists, but not the money, and others that have money might not have the number of scientists needed (we have a big pop advantage on Europe).

The TV ads need to go though. We also need not for profit company or government company that will work on and manufacture drugs that won't make money. There is not a lot of incentive to research rare diseases where you'll only help (and yes, sell drugs to) a handful of people.

As for purposely coming up with only temporary treatments? Not so sure about that. Which ones?
Take Savannah for example
Low weight gain/no weight gain- give formula, do not test the mothers milk OR the baby more then one blood test

formula causes puking- cure the puking

Formula causes rash- cure rash

(rash and puking started at the same time)

when REALLY it should have been

baby not gaining weight- test for allergies, test breast milk, test x,y or z

baby getting a rash and vomiting dont treat them SEPERATLY treat together since they started TOGETHER.

they put her through treatments for multiple symptoms instead of treating the symptoms together.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

Oh, I 100% believe somewhere someone has a cure for cancer and a cure for AIDS and is being paid to keep it under the rug so a handful of people can make an enormous profit off of people's suffering.

If you had the option of selling someone chemotherapy, radiation, along with anti-nausea, pain medication, and in the future other medications such as kidney medication, etc. for...idk, how much money does treating cancer cost? Thousands at least, if not more.

Or selling them a cure for much less, a few hundred dollars, which would you choose?

I hope most of us would choose the second, but I'm not naive enough to think the CEO of Eli Lilly or anyone in a similar position would.

Hell, what about the controversy with the guardasil vaccine - a vaccine that had very controversial side effects and testing done, make MANDATORY by a governor who's #1 campaign sponsor was the man who owned guardasil. How is that legal?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com