Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I know tons of short legged dogs that can sit up! Yes it does take a while to build duration, but the trick itself can be taught very quickly.
That!

Even rolly polly fat Didgie was able to do this a few months ago when I kinda started it. She couldn't hold it of course but she could do it for a second or two!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

Here's an idea, since not everyone is going to be happy with every trick, how about we rotate through who decides the trick? So Taq, if you don't the trick this week, maybe you can pick the next one?

I also think we should go longer than a week for each trick. Maybe a trick of the month or two weeks or whatever.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I know tons of short legged dogs that can sit up! Yes it does take a while to build duration, but the trick itself can be taught very quickly.
In Tipper's case it's more of a back length problem and in Murphy's case a back length + being nine + my paranoia about arthritis and him hurting himself. So like I said, it's a personal thing for me and I really don't want the whole thing to be based on me (and I do have a backup dog that I could use ).

Quote:
Here's an idea, since not everyone is going to be happy with every trick, how about we rotate through who decides the trick? So Taq, if you don't the trick this week, maybe you can pick the next one?
That sounds like too much responsibility. I'm totally willing to throw ideas out though.

ETA: Actually I vote for an executive decision on the first trick and then maybe we could poll for the rest of them? If we don't get enough votes then we'll just default to executive and/or anyone who cares enough to post?

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
In Tipper's case it's more of a back length problem and in Murphy's case a back length + being nine + my paranoia about arthritis and him hurting himself. So like I said, it's a personal thing for me and I really don't want the whole thing to be based on me (and I do have a backup dog that I could use ).
FWIW Sitting up is actually suggested for long backed dogs to help prevent injury.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I'd totally try to take part.

... Though ill sit out the first one. Spinal arthritis + 16 years old doesn't make sitting up feasible

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Top Dog

Maybe instead those of you who don't want to do "sit up" can have your dog sit on a specific location? Like put a pillow or mat down or even a spot on the chair or couch and have the dog sit there?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Maybe instead those of you who don't want to do "sit up" can have your dog sit on a specific location? Like put a pillow or mat down or even a spot on the chair or couch and have the dog sit there?
This..

Or sit up with their paws on a chair or table.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Top Dog

I was going to start doing this now, but it's oddly quiet in my house, and the dog is not on top of me.

I think I'll let him sleep a while

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I like this idea, but I'm not sure how much I'll be participating

But, maybe what someone could do, or as a collaborative is come up with like, 14 to 20 tricks, and then we know what we'll be working on, but no cheating and working ahead? Or something?
Old 11-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

What about choosing a few tricks every month? Contest like... see how many from a selected list can you teach in a month?