Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 07-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Kaydee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
And the irony?

When I run into pitbull haters, I've often found out they hated "pitbulls" while they were petting Tallulah, talking about how pretty and sweet she is and asking what breed of dog she is, that they'd love to have one . . .
That happens alot, people will scurry to the street rather than walk past Sophie...but then we'll be at the park and some Molly will be kissing her and sniffing about those...sniff...awful pitbulls...on the other side of the park
Old 07-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Top Dog

the main argument i use to shut down the nimrods arguing that pit bulls get that big is this
the largest actual weight class for matching in the USA is/was 60# meaning anything over that was a ridiculous freak of nature or crossbred. further, the overwhelming majority of matchdogs matched at weights of 35-50# (i'd estimate about 80% matched at these weights).
Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 AM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalama123 View Post
Whats the difference between an american bull and a pit bull?
That depends on what you mean by "American Bull."

There is the American Bulldog, which was originally called the American Pit Bulldog and in the 1970s registered with the National Kennel Club (NKC) as such. Later the name was changed to American Bulldog to avoid confusion with the American Pit Bull Terrier. The American bulldog was recognized by the United Kennel Club on January 1, 1999. There are a few different "types" of American Bulldog, but they are all relatively large and powerful dogs. They can be anywhere between 20"-28" and 70-120lbs.

Then, there is the "American Bully." The American Bully was created in the mid-1990s. It was created by mixing American Pit Bull Terriers with bulldogs, Mastiffs and who knows what else. They are only about 17"-21" in height, but can be extremely exaggerated in weight, weighing anywhere from 70-120lbs.

The Pit Bull (American Pit Bull Terrier) is a Bull and Terrier breed that was first registered by the UKC in the late 1800's. They can be 14"-22" and (about) 35-65lbs.

This was a super brief explanation of the differences between the breeds.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 AM
such sights to show you

People guess pit bull for Squash ALL THE TIME and it drives me nuts. He's 80ish pounds!

Usually I respond with some version of "well, he's a little big for that," and then usually get a blank stare back in response.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
People guess pit bull for Squash ALL THE TIME and it drives me nuts. He's 80ish pounds!

Usually I respond with some version of "well, he's a little big for that," and then usually get a blank stare back in response.
What morons, in that recent "smug" photo I can see maybe daddy ABD but pit bull? nada.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
What morons, in that recent "smug" photo I can see maybe daddy ABD but pit bull? nada.
Yea ABD is my current best guess, not only based on appearance but apparently there is a somewhat prolific ABD "breeder" in the area where his mom was at the time of her violation.

Sorry for the tangent, but the point being... TOO BIG for a pit bull, people!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Top Dog

People also LOVE to exaggerate how big their dogs are. Working with dogs for a living, lifting them a lot and weighing them a lot, I can usually accurately guess (within about a 10lb margin for error) how much a dog weighs.

I frequently have people say "oh, she weighs 120 lbs" about their Rottweiler or shepherd, who is more like...75 lbs. I had a woman once tell me her emaciated rescue rottie had gained 50 lbs since she got her. The dog was disgustingly thin when she was found, but it was more like a gain of 60 lbs to 80 lbs. Not 60 to 110.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Big Dog

It is true that most people are way out on guessing how big or small their dogs are. It always really annoys me when people say their little dog is only five pounds when the dog is obviously double that, the same way people say their dog is 100 lbs. and is probably only 60-70 lbs.

It is almost like people feel they have the best dog when it is the biggest or smallest.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

Yeah, people have no clue what dogs weigh.

I've had people guess that Zobby weighs 4lbs (erm 24) and that Elsie is 70 (38).
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
SBT Lover!!

Saxon is 38lbs, people ALWAYS guess that he is 50-60lbs. Seriously? Look at him! He doesn't even come up to my knees!