Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #381  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:10 AM
AllisonPitbullLvr's Avatar
AllisonPitbullLvr AllisonPitbullLvr is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran101 View Post
sometimes i forget kids are awesome


lol!!!!!!
__________________
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,412
Default




That kid is just DONE lol I love him!

Ok.. I'm not done blowing up this thread with funny childrens lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:51 AM
jenv101's Avatar
jenv101 jenv101 is offline
Bite Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
LOVE. I want to do wraps and slings in the worst way. What would you recommend for a complete noob? I'm probably going to make a wrap and we will be buying a soft structured carrier for hiking and whatnot, but I also want something...I think the term is poppable? Would a ring sling work for that?

My current favorite position is on my left side with my right leg pulled up as far as I can get it. I've kneed Matt in the back three or four times in the middle of the night LOL.
I went to a baby wearing info session last week and the biggest things I took away from it were that woven wraps were awesome (better than the stretchy fabric kind) and I learned how to tie one which was great. And that a soft structured carrier was useful for when you are out and about, easier to get on and off quickly, etc. So I plan on getting one of each.

I like the Becco http://www.becobabycarrier.com/cat-13/gemini because it does all three carrying styles.

The ring sling I tried on was nice too, and would be convenient but it is a bit more limited in positions and such. So I will probably only get one of those if I have extra $ after I get the first two.

That is the position I sleep in most of the time too, with a pillow under my right knee.
__________________

~Aura & Riley~
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:56 AM
stardogs stardogs is offline
Behavior Nerd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 4,555
Default

Ok this is a long way of for me yet, but I've always wondered - how hard is it to get used to sleeping in a different position? I'm a stomach sleeper currently, and obviously that will have to change when I'm preggers, but I just can't see getting good sleep having to sleep on my side.
__________________
Erin, Ziva, Kestrel, Aerten, and Snipe
Always in our hearts: The Amazing Maggie Mae


Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post


LOVE. I want to do wraps and slings in the worst way. What would you recommend for a complete noob? I'm probably going to make a wrap and we will be buying a soft structured carrier for hiking and whatnot, but I also want something...I think the term is poppable? Would a ring sling work for that?




Totally going to be personal preference here For me, while I loved the idea of woven wraps they just werent practical or used much by me. Between my short arms (which made them a bit hard to use) to the up and down nature of my kids, they just werent my favorite. I LOVED stretchy wraps for newborns. Ring slings are super great for in and out and for me, best for older babies and quick errands. I loved them for running in and out of stores but not for longer wears as the one shoulder bothered me. My favorite carrier was the mei tai, I used them from birth til 3 or 4 (and could still use it if needed, I did actually carry Lilah in it last year through the hospital when her casts were still soft, she was almost 6). They are not as flexible as far as baby positions go but my children never liked being worn in a cradle position and preferred a sitting position (or tucked up for newborn) anyways so it worked great for me. (And again, with Lilah as a baby having casts or a brace it worked great for that as well). When I tandem wore them, Cian would go on my front in a mei tai or stretchy wrap and Lilah would go on my back in a mei tai. I also was able to easily breastfeed in both the wrap and mei tai.

Youtube has some great videos on different ways of using each of the carriers. They are all (with the exception of high quality woven and stretchy wraps) very easy to make yourself as well.

I dont have many pics of us wearing the babies unfortunately.
Mei tais I made


(technically a buckle tei)




__________________
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:49 AM
darkchild16's Avatar
darkchild16 darkchild16 is offline
We are Home.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Posts: 21,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post
I went to a baby wearing info session last week and the biggest things I took away from it were that woven wraps were awesome (better than the stretchy fabric kind) and I learned how to tie one which was great. And that a soft structured carrier was useful for when you are out and about, easier to get on and off quickly, etc. So I plan on getting one of each.

I like the Becco http://www.becobabycarrier.com/cat-13/gemini because it does all three carrying styles.

The ring sling I tried on was nice too, and would be convenient but it is a bit more limited in positions and such. So I will probably only get one of those if I have extra $ after I get the first two.

That is the position I sleep in most of the time too, with a pillow under my right knee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Totally going to be personal preference here For me, while I loved the idea of woven wraps they just werent practical or used much by me. Between my short arms (which made them a bit hard to use) to the up and down nature of my kids, they just werent my favorite. I LOVED stretchy wraps for newborns. Ring slings are super great for in and out and for me, best for older babies and quick errands. I loved them for running in and out of stores but not for longer wears as the one shoulder bothered me. My favorite carrier was the mei tai, I used them from birth til 3 or 4 (and could still use it if needed, I did actually carry Lilah in it last year through the hospital when her casts were still soft, she was almost 6). They are not as flexible as far as baby positions go but my children never liked being worn in a cradle position and preferred a sitting position (or tucked up for newborn) anyways so it worked great for me. (And again, with Lilah as a baby having casts or a brace it worked great for that as well). When I tandem wore them, Cian would go on my front in a mei tai or stretchy wrap and Lilah would go on my back in a mei tai. I also was able to easily breastfeed in both the wrap and mei tai.

Youtube has some great videos on different ways of using each of the carriers. They are all (with the exception of high quality woven and stretchy wraps) very easy to make yourself as well.

I dont have many pics of us wearing the babies unfortunately.
Mei tais I made


(technically a buckle tei)





I JUST started wearing when Morgan was 2 and now Savannah. I LOVED my Ergo because it is easier all around until I tried my mei tei. My mei tei for our situation is AMAZING you can get a nice one for $35 at Babies R Us which means you can also use their coupons on it. Honestly though for a newborn I would get a ringsling. Hands down the easiest to use at first because to nurse in it you just loosen the ring. You CAN breast feed in a mei tei but its not easy. The ringsling you literally lift the ring until they are boob height.

WHATEVER you do do NOT buy a crotch dangler. It is HORRIBLE on babies spine and its not as comfortable for you plus its just not worth the money when you think about the time of use vs price. I made that mistake with Morgan.


You can get used carriers at www.thebabywearer.com or www.diaperswappers.com

You can also rent carriers to test them. I paid 12 bucks I think it was and tested a ergo for 2 weeks.


As far as the Beco goes I personally found it to be a PITA. I loved it when I got it because it was my FIRST carrier but once I had Savannah it NEVER got any love because adjusting it between them was a PITA.

I will get some pics for you but want to post this first because Morgans therapist is expected any moment.
__________________

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie



Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Taqroy's Avatar
Taqroy Taqroy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Ok this is a long way of for me yet, but I've always wondered - how hard is it to get used to sleeping in a different position? I'm a stomach sleeper currently, and obviously that will have to change when I'm preggers, but I just can't see getting good sleep having to sleep on my side.
I'm mostly a side sleeper but generally alternate between that and on my stomach. I haven't had too much of a problem with it - I still sleep almost on my stomach, just more off to one side now. I'm hoping that because it's a gradual change it will be easier than just BAM no more stomach sleeping.

I LOVE all the carry pictures! I've been doing a ton of research on them but it's really nice to hear everyone's opinions on what they like/don't like. Greenmagick, where did you get the patterns for your mei tais? I'm figuring it will be WAY cheaper to make a wrap and/or a ring sling, and then once we know what works I can buy something nice(r). I'd love to add a mei tai to the list - I've had a hard time getting motivated to work on anything until like two weeks ago. And now I have so much stuff I want to do!

ETA: GM - I love the pic of your husband. Matt is totally cool with carrying which is SO awesome. One of my favorite pictures is of my dad carrying me when I was a baby.
__________________


I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 AM
darkchild16's Avatar
darkchild16 darkchild16 is offline
We are Home.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Posts: 21,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I'm mostly a side sleeper but generally alternate between that and on my stomach. I haven't had too much of a problem with it - I still sleep almost on my stomach, just more off to one side now. I'm hoping that because it's a gradual change it will be easier than just BAM no more stomach sleeping.

I LOVE all the carry pictures! I've been doing a ton of research on them but it's really nice to hear everyone's opinions on what they like/don't like. Greenmagick, where did you get the patterns for your mei tais? I'm figuring it will be WAY cheaper to make a wrap and/or a ring sling, and then once we know what works I can buy something nice(r). I'd love to add a mei tai to the list - I've had a hard time getting motivated to work on anything until like two weeks ago. And now I have so much stuff I want to do!

ETA: GM - I love the pic of your husband. Matt is totally cool with carrying which is SO awesome. One of my favorite pictures is of my dad carrying me when I was a baby.
You can make a Ring Sling for 20 bucks. I made mine for 10

Mei tei:
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/asian.html

I think babywearing dads are sexy but alas mine feels like a dork in one since hes so huge and they look like a preschool backpack on him LOL.
__________________

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie



Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,063
Default

It's so personal, my babies hated the ring sling when they were infants lol and it really bothered my back.

I got my patterns from all over but the easiest to make and one of the most comfortable for me is a pattern based on the ball baby overall. The pattern can be found online and is free. Jan dandrea site, or sleeping baby productions has it and many other patterns. I would link but am on my phone.

Eta: der, link is in post above
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 AM
darkchild16's Avatar
darkchild16 darkchild16 is offline
We are Home.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Posts: 21,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
It's so personal, my babies hated the ring sling when they were infants lol and it really bothered my back.

I got my patterns from all over but the easiest to make and one of the most comfortable for me is a pattern based on the ball baby overall. The pattern can be found online and is free. Jan dandrea site, or sleeping baby productions has it and many other patterns. I would link but am on my phone.
the one I posted was Jan Andrea.
__________________

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie



Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site