Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdogs View Post
Thanks so much guys!! Very helpful!! Now I can start packing..lol I'm going out today so i'll buy some slippers and toothbrush/paste like you guys said!

Did you guys pack your own diapers and wipes for baby??

Someone told me to pack...butt cream,and nipple cream...Do I really need to??
Every hospital provides diapers, wipes, basic baby wash.

I never have taken my own butt cream because Ive never needed it that soon except with Savannah and she needed the hospital stuff (she was getting suppossitories)

Nipple cream I WOULD pack. Ive never used it in the hospital but I'm sure others had and its one of those things its so small Id take it.

OH and if you have a pump and plan to use one I WOULD take it. You will have a Lactation Consultant in the hospital most likely and she can help you with it instead of trying to juggle trying to take the baby to the LC to learn it later.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Top Dog

You shouldn't need diapers/wipes. They will provide those in the hospital, and take EVERYTHING in the baby's cart that's left home. Diapers/wipes/brush/soaps/etc. Do NOT take the blankets home unless they specifically tell you it is ok. Our hospital does not send the blankets home, and they rotate the style of blanket they use. It is a safety precaution at our hospital. Babies HAVE to be swaddled in the hospital blankets to leave the rooms and be in the baby carts, until you are leaving with the baby in the car seat. They don't want people able to take the blankets home, so that no one can bring them back to attempt to steal babies. Sad the ways things are these days...

I would bring nipple cream just in case, but ask your lactation consultant for some before getting it out. They will probably have some little samples to give you.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I packed all kinds of stuff and then didn't use any of it lol
I would pack:

- One pretty going-home set of clothing for the baby, including a receiving blanket/blanket.

- One set of maternity clothes to wear home

- A toothpaste & tooth brush to use during your stay at the hospital (if you don't want to use what the hospital provided!)

The hospital I went to supplies everything the baby & I would need during our stay at the hospital and send us home with a baby undersshirt + hat, extra diapers, wipes, and pads, underwears for me, etc..

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:00 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Knee high socks! Lots of them. The hospital socks are little ankle socks.
Yes to baby socks, and also socks for MOMMY!!!

I can't say socks enough to moms-to-be wondering what to pack, LOL

I am not a sock person.........as a matter of fact, I don't care much for wearing shoes. As soon as I hit the door my shoes and socks come off. It never dawned on me to pack socks in my baby go bag since I figured I'd be in the hospital bed or wearing slippers when I got up.......MISTAKE!

My feet FROZE and my mother had to run out and get me socks......THICK ONES! LOL Second baby, different hospital/town, same deal with freezing feet but I did remember to bring my own that time Plus, you know the old saying....better to have and not need than need and not have.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
Yes to baby socks, and also socks for MOMMY!!!

I can't say socks enough to moms-to-be wondering what to pack, LOL
Also, a comfy pillow and blanket from home for you. The pillows and blankets provided at the hospital were impossibly thin, small and definately not cosy for sleeping/resting. Didn't see them mentioned, but receiving blankets for the learning curve of breastfeeding. They're light, yet comfy, and easier to maneuever than the sheets on the bed or the baby's swaddling blankets.

Chap stick or similar..my lips were peeling chunks of skin by the time I was done with my stay with C-Secion baby.

Hope all goes well!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 PM
swimming upstream

chapstick! All that breathing made my lips so chapped I thought I had eaten sand!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Top Dog

I just brought go home clothes for myself and the kiddo. Plus a blanket for him. Plus a phone and laptop.

They provided pretty much everything else..toothbrush/paste, slipper socks, and the like. I was only there one night.

We live close enough to the hospital that my husband could just go home to shower, change, etc. And if something had happened to where I needed to stay longer, he could have brought additional things
Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Top Dog

Have everything organized at home in case you need hubby to grab it.

Food - both for you and hubby, depending on how long you are in for. High fiber items are good, after a c-section everything slows down and if you're sore you don't want to be straining.

I used the hospital robe and panties too, but if you're in for a while some comfy jammies, pillow etc. are nice. Books to read or something too.

A baseball bat in case you have an annoying roomate. Sorta kidding.

I did get a lot of nipple cream samples, and a soother and baby stuff was covered till it was time to go home, so an outfit for them to wear home isn't a bad idea. With Nathan he was fine in a 3 month sleeper but Allie ended up being TINY and drown in the newborn size sleeper. Oh well.

Install the carseat now if you have one with a base, so it's done and not something you have to do in the hospital parking lot.

Change and since you'll need them, bigger pads. A handy hint if you do have a c-section is to have some panties that will sit right there and then fold a long thick pad in half long ways and use the panties to hold it against the stitches. With both kids I had a section and issues, not fun, but that trick helped a lot.