Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 11-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Default Grain-inclusive foods?

Ok so it's apparent Rosey isn't able to do grain-free, so I'm looking to start switching her over to a good grain inclusive food.

She's currently on Fromm Grain-Free Game Bird Recipe, so I was thinking possibly the grain inclusive duck formula... but I feed the ferrets Acana so was looking there and they have the Singles line in duck. I'm kinda swinging that way because they use oats vs rice.

Experiences? Did your dog really like the food? Really not a fan of the food?

She LOVES duck, which is why I'm looking there, because as of right now, she's just eating enough to stay alive because she's not really enjoying the food like she was at the beginning. Now, for that, I am going to (hopefully) be switching it up, feeding her kibble in the morning and wet food or home cooked or whatever I have available at night.

Now, she DOES seem to have some sensitivities.. lamb is definitely one of them, I'm not sure how she does on rice... last time she was on it was a lamb food

tl;dr: what grain inclusive foods do you/your dog like? LOL

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Top Dog

Jackson looooovesss the Fromm Chicken a la Veg. But he seems to love ALL the Fromm varieties. I recall him not liking the duck as much, but not sure, it was a while ago when we tried it and I remember it giving him gas but I may not have given it enough time. He liked the Acana singles alright, but not as much as Fromm for sure.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Big Dog

I fed the Acana Duck and Bartlett Pear and the dogs did really good on it. I liked the food, just can't afford it right now, but I had the money, It would be one of my top choices.

Other grain inclusive had good results on:

Fromm Salmon A la Veg
Pure Vita Duck and Oatmeal
Go Sensitivity and Shine Salmon
Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I would definitely give Fromm Pork and Applesauce a try. It's the go-to food around here for dogs that are picky/not eating enough. Nom nom!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Ok so it's apparent Rosey isn't able to do grain-free, so I'm looking to start switching her over to a good grain inclusive food.
What was she having issues with? Was it just pickiness? Or digestive upset? Or weight issues? I'm just curious, as that can help me recommend a good food.

As far as grain-inclusive goes, I am a huge fan of Fromm. They have five different flavors that you can rotate between, which helps with the pickiness issue. I also like the PureVita grain-inclusive.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
What was she having issues with? Was it just pickiness? Or digestive upset? Or weight issues? I'm just curious, as that can help me recommend a good food.

As far as grain-inclusive goes, I am a huge fan of Fromm. They have five different flavors that you can rotate between, which helps with the pickiness issue. I also like the PureVita grain-inclusive.
Woops. Yah, it's mainly digestive issues, and she just doesn't.. look as good as she did on grain-inclusive when we've gone to that for whatever reason for a bit.

Thanks guys I think we'll stick with Fromm then, and see how she does. At least until I get my free bag

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Woops. Yah, it's mainly digestive issues, and she just doesn't.. look as good as she did on grain-inclusive when we've gone to that for whatever reason for a bit.

Thanks guys I think we'll stick with Fromm then, and see how she does. At least until I get my free bag
I would probably stick with Fromm, then. They are one of the few grain-inclusive foods that I feel comfortable feeding/recommending. I would also suggest Nature's Logic (LOVE THEM! - one of the few grain-inclusive that has a decent meat content), but I don't know if that's available up in Canada.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Wookie Collie

I was also going to say stick with Fromm, since we'll give you a free bag eventually and you can rotate the varieties so she doesn't get bored. Plus, none of them have rice. I love their grain-inclusive formulas.

Grain is often given a bad rep, but not all grain is the devil.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I'd so rather see people feed high quality grain-inclusive than lower quality grain-free. Actually in general I would rather see low glycemic gain inclusive than grain-free potato city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
I was also going to say stick with Fromm, since we'll give you a free bag eventually and you can rotate the varieties so she doesn't get bored. Plus, none of them have rice. I love their grain-inclusive formulas.

Grain is often given a bad rep, but not all grain is the devil.
Psst, actually all of them have rice

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Actually in general I would rather see low glycemic gain inclusive than grain-free potato city.
YES. Thank you. Please marry me.