Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-03-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Need to fix this ASAP

Okay so... Mia's a screamer. My dad does not like screaming dogs. I like to bring her over to his house when we have family get togethers. And it's an issue.

She is so excited about the other dogs and the cat that she screeches from the moment you pull in the driveway until you get her through the house and in the back yard. It lasts maybe a minute or two tops.

I've tried: carrying her into the house so she can't race through and scream. It causes more frustration and increases the screaming.

I've tried taking her straight to the back yard but his fence is iron and papillons can fit through iron so she ends up escaping then sitting at the front door and screaming. Stays not working.

I've had screeching issues before and worked on them but I need something fast or Mia is perma-banned from family functions, which would suck for us both. I think I need to figure out some management system that will just bandaid for a while. His advice was to 'smack her', which... yeah.

I think next step is to crate her in the back yard then get the other dogs out and see how that goes?

Anyone have any advice on how to manage it for now and work on it?

Last edited by Laurelin; 11-03-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:57 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Time it so you show up early while he's in the shower or something and get that minute over with?

With my dogs in that situation I'd stay out at the car doing precision exercises til I had their brains back then make them heel through the house to the backyard then release. And practice before big family functions. Kim used to bark and scream going into agility class and that's what worked for us. She had to earn the right to go in and if she didn't we'd be late for class but so be it. Didn't take her long to compromise. And by "compromise" I mean cave in and shushing up lol. But if she's been able to do this for a while it's going to be a lot harder to rein in.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

My first thought was to take her to the backyard and crate her too.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah I've thought about crating her in the back yard then working with her until she calms down some to get that initial excitement period over. Maybe I can come practice some while my dad is not around...

I was hoping carrying her in would work today but it obviously made things worse by quite a bit.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Owned by Belgians

Teach her that if she screams, she stays in the car. LIke my parents said, "If you kids don't shut up, I'm turning this car around and going home!"

The first day will be the hardest, but it can be done. Wait in the car until she stops. It might take an hour, but it will be easier the next time. I learned this from a trainer who needed to teach her dog to settle down when they got to the farm for herding lessons.

Wait until she stops screaming before getting out of the car. If she starts screaming again, get back in the car and wait. Repeat until she stops. At first she will scream louder, it's called the extinction period. It's worth the work.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Water Junkie

Have you read Control Unleashed? I've just started (about 1/3 of the way thru) and it sounds like she'd be a good dog to try some of her exercises on.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

I would crate her in the car and only would she get out once she quit screaming. If she started screaming on the way to the door, I'd issue a "Quiet" command and stop all forward movement if she gave me an iota of quiet I'd reward her, if she continued screaming, I would turn around and walk back towards the car. I'd do this until she could learn to contain herself. When she was quiet, I'd give a VERY high value reward and tons of praise the second she was quiet.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

She's only screaming for a minute or two and your dad still wants to ban her? He's tough!

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah, he and I have very different tolerance levels for dog vocalization. It's unfortunate. To me this is one behavior that if left up to me, I see no reason to do anything about. But... they don't feel the same way.

I do have control unleashed and have done some of the stuff in there but not all of it. I'll keep working on it, but it's hard since we don't go over there that often and she doesn't scream anywhere else (like agility, the park, etc). She doesn't start screaming until she reaches the door. No screaming in the car.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
She doesn't start screaming until she reaches the door. No screaming in the car.
Then I would turn right around and walk away when that screaming starts.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l