Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Felurian

There was a Puli at one of the car show/street fairs that I walked Kharma to. I thought it was weird that Kharma was drawing more attention than the Puli!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Lord Cynical

OH! I met a Jindo once - one of my design professors had one. She was Korean, and actually brought the dog over with her when she moved to the States.

Uhhh.... UKC breeds I see all the time that I don't see as rare (because I see them all the time) but I guess they're not exactly common.... Portuguese Podengo of all three sizes and both coat types, Klee Kai, Berger Picard, and colors of Schipperke that are NOT black.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 11-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Berger Picard <3 jelly.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Like with Shelties, it can be hard to predict size even when you have two small parents. I *think* Savvy will jump 16" in AKC...but I'm not sure. May end up with a 20" jumping PyrShep with my 20" jumping Belgian.
Banger, the one I posted, will be a 20" jumper, he's probably going to be around 19-20" tall. Which is apparently typical of the smooths, they tend to be bigger. The others posted here are more what I'm used to seeing from Pyrsheps, sort of long wiry hair. This is Banger not wet:

playing with a BC of the same age:

I generally find the Pyrsheps to be kind of spooky, and not always as drivey as I like. This guy is really confident; secure and outgoing. He did bond to his owner quickly, but likes other people too. He's going to be a fun dog.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Glutton for Crazy

After seeing the photos of wire coated ones I think I would have to be told that one is a pyrshep, at first glance he looks like a flatcoat baby.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Banger, the one I posted, will be a 20" jumper, he's probably going to be around 19-20" tall. Which is apparently typical of the smooths, they tend to be bigger. The others posted here are more what I'm used to seeing from Pyrsheps, sort of long wiry hair.
Banger is a smooth face for sure. He will probably get more hair as he gets older but he may not. The one Laurelin posted may be a demi like savvy. PyrSheps really come in a range of sizes and coat types. Savvy was a smooth face to start but now...he's not. SFs can be larger per standard but I think the biggest PyrShep I have ever seen was a RF. And not all SFs are big, Silvia Trkman's La is definitely SF and tiny.

These are all SF PyrSheps:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
I generally find the Pyrsheps to be kind of spooky, and not always as drivey as I like. This guy is really confident; secure and outgoing. He did bond to his owner quickly, but likes other people too. He's going to be a fun dog.
Savvy is pretty friendly, although TBH he is more guardy about the yard/car than I expected. I don't mind but he acts like my GSDs did in the car LOL Being outgoing with strangers is not really characteristic of the breed, though I have meant a good number who were friendly. I have meant all sorts of PyrSheps - shy, really weird, aloof, friendly. Drive varies in them and was definitely my priority when picking a puppy. Do you know who Banger is from?

There AKC standard says:

"He is dominated by his love for his work. He has the tendency to become passionately attached to his owner to the complete exclusion of all others and is astonishingly sensitive to his owner's moods. As a companion, he is very active and enthusiastic and insists upon being involved in the day's activities whatever they may be. He is very affectionate with the members of his immediate family, but is distrustful of strangers."

The FCI Standard:

"It is a courageous, resourceful little dog, showing initiative ant totally devoted to its master. It is headstrong by nature and firm control is usually needed to channel its energy and bring out the best of its intelligence liveliness. It is often wary of strangers."

"Dog displaying a maximum of nervous energy in a minimum of size and weight. An ever alert physiognomy, a knowing air combined with great liveliness of movement give this dog a characteristic appearance unlike any other."
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Banger is a smooth face for sure. He will probably get more hair as he gets older but he may not. The one Laurelin posted may be a demi like savvy. PyrSheps really come in a range of sizes and coat types. Savvy was a smooth face to start but now...he's not. SFs can be larger per standard but I think the biggest PyrShep I have ever seen was a RF. And not all SFs are big, Silvia Trkman's La is definitely SF and tiny.
Same here FWIW -- there's quite a few PyrSheps around here and the biggest one I've seen is the 20" jumping dog who is a full on RF. To be fair, however, most of the PyrSheps here are RF.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm All Ears

I was just posting that one for the color. The coat on the one I met was not wiry at all, more like this:

Old 11-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Same here FWIW -- there's quite a few PyrSheps around here and the biggest one I've seen is the 20" jumping dog who is a full on RF. To be fair, however, most of the PyrSheps here are RF.
Most PyrSheps are RF or at least Demi. I think something like only 10% of the breed is SF, although there may be slightly more now than historically because some people actually breed for SFs. It used to be just something that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I was just posting that one for the color. The coat on the one I met was not wiry at all, more like this:
Oh yeah that one is definitely SF Very cute! Reminds me of Shimmer (on of my faves!):

Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
After seeing the photos of wire coated ones I think I would have to be told that one is a pyrshep, at first glance he looks like a flatcoat baby.
He looked like a Newf mix when he was a baby.

Aleron, I don't know who his breeder is. I think he's from Texas, but that's all I know.