Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-03-2012, 04:09 AM
Ho ho ho off.

Err, honestly don't know. What's rare here might not be there (and vice versa!). Smooth collies are considered vulnerable here for example!!

I've met a polish lowland sheepdog. They're not exactly 10 a penny! I've met Welsh Springer spaniels. Laurelin makes me lol meeting welsh collies as I live in wales and can't say I've met one!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Ahh I met a lowland sheepdog, my first, doing an eval on dog aggression my last day in Vegas. My conclusion? Brilliant and fun dog but talk about nerves, he was a three time rehome being hurdled into a home with an inexperienced dog owner, unfortunately, so I think the nerves were more an issue of environment.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Have you seen a smooth Pyrshep? It's confusing, because they aren't actually smooth, but they're less coated than the other Pyrsheps. They're also bigger, so it's bizarre all around.

This is Banger, a smooth Pyrshep puppy. He's the only Pyrshep I've met that I actually like.

He is so much like a taller, fuzzier version of my Pirate it's hilarious. Most Pyrsheps can be spooky, not this guy.
Yeah the only one I've met was a smooth faced dog. Looked like this one:

So I guess that's a brindle merle. It had a tail and everything too. I've really considered them and still am but I will be honest, that the dog I met left me feeling like in the same relative size range I'd prefer a sheltie. But I don't want to go based off of one dog. I'd love to meet more. Savvy in particular seems amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Aren't those Brittanys?

I love UKC too for that reason though!
They're French brittanys which are a different breed. Or I think most people consider them separate breeds. The Bretons come in a lot of different colors and their working styles are supposed to be different.

There was an French Brittany that went to the same park we did back in TX. It was black and white and gorgeous!

dizzy, I freaking love the Welsh sheepdogs! I would love to have one one day. It's too bad they're so hard to come across and generally aren't sold for things other than farm work. The ones here are really neat dogs.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
So I guess that's a brindle merle. It had a tail and everything too. I've really considered them and still am but I will be honest, that the dog I met left me feeling like in the same relative size range I'd prefer a sheltie. But I don't want to go based off of one dog. I'd love to meet more. Savvy in particular seems amazing.
Savvy is pretty cool I'm pretty smitten with PyrSheps overall though. I don't know why they have to be so cute! He's not really Sheltie sized though LOL Well maybe a big Sheltie...or a small BC.

Shelties and PyrSheps are really different, it depends on what suits you best. PyrSheps are hyper, crazy and primitive. Shelties are a much more modern, more developed breed and I have never known one to be nearly as crazy or hyper as Savvy. Shelties I think overall are more easily focused, have much better "genetic obedience" and are more likely to be forgiving of training mistakes or mismanagement. Both breeds can tend towards being a bit reactive, shy, barky and needing a lot of socialization. I think Shelties have an overall softer temperament but PyrSheps can maybe be more sensitive to environmental things that they find weird. Shelties don't really suit me, although I really enjoy some of the performance bred ones I have been around. PyrSheps though...well multiple people who have known me only as a Belgian person for years have told me "This is the perfect dog for you!" after seeing me with him. I think a performance bred Sheltie is a safer bet for a performance dog than a PyrShep but then you never know. The idea of a "safe bet" for a performance dog is probably a bit...offbase. So much depends on the individual dog and the training.

And to add to the discussion of PyrShep looks...Savvy is a demi-rough faced fawn with a black mask, all natural:

Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Ho ho ho off.

Quote:

dizzy, I freaking love the Welsh sheepdogs! I would love to have one one day. It's too bad they're so hard to come across and generally aren't sold for things other than farm work. The ones here are really neat dogs.
I actually suspect most of the collies round here will be 'welsh sheepdogs' in all fairness. I live in a very rural area, it's all hills and sheep. You only see the farm dogs in the back of trucks or riding on quads (well, sitting on them!!) so don't get up close and personal to really see.

I could probably post you one pretty **** easily
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm All Ears

I would say this one was in the mid to upper 20 lb range. I know pyr sheps vary a lot in size (La seems really small as does Luka). I was actually disappointed because it really was not hyper at all and kind mediumish drive on the course. Was definitely aloof/standoffish but not really 'shy'.

I dunno, I need to meet more. I would base papillons on Rose or shelties off of Trey either.

I like my dogs with a touch of crazy.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:19 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Erm, well I never know what counts as rare since I'm met multiples of most of these, but probably Koolies (:P), Kooikerhondje, Kelpies, Pyr Sheps, Mudi, Pumi, Laekenois, Podengo...my cousin has a Leonberger/Great Pyr cross, not sure if that counts lol.

That's all I can think of offhand.

Quote:
I would say this one was in the mid to upper 20 lb range. I know pyr sheps vary a lot in size[...]
Yeah there's a 20" jumping Pyr Shep here lol. Handler was hoping for a smaller dog. Oops.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 11-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Oh yes, I had a French Brittany client, I always thought it was odd they were so adamant that he was a frrrreeeennnnccchhhh Brittany. lol He was a strange dog, he needed to be out hunting but instead an elder couple owned him and complained about his energy.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I would say this one was in the mid to upper 20 lb range. I know pyr sheps vary a lot in size (La seems really small as does Luka). I was actually disappointed because it really was not hyper at all and kind mediumish drive on the course. Was definitely aloof/standoffish but not really 'shy'.

I dunno, I need to meet more. I would base papillons on Rose or shelties off of Trey either.

I like my dogs with a touch of crazy.
Aww too bad it wasn't a CrazyShep!

You definitely need a PyrShep with good drive and good craziness to do well in performance. I've seen a wide range of PyrSheps in agility from fairly slow to totally wild. La is very small, I think around 15lbs? Not sure about Luka. Savvy is about 30lbs - he's a big boy! If you want little, you're probably more likely to find it in bitches, although I know some bigger girls and smaller boys too. Like with Shelties, it can be hard to predict size even when you have two small parents. I *think* Savvy will jump 16" in AKC...but I'm not sure. May end up with a 20" jumping PyrShep with my 20" jumping Belgian.

Savvy is going to be pretty fast, he's already got good speed and keeps getting faster as we go. Honestly though, they do seem to need a certain type of approach to training. They need people willing to do drive building, let a little weirdness about stuff slide and who encourages their dog's craziness. I'm pretty sure most of the people at the local club here would do really poorly with one because their approach to training is too...serious I guess. Not enough fun. PyrSheps just wanna have fun
Old 11-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I've met two Cirneco del'etnas and Omg they are so neat imo. Have an entelbucher at my work that is always there. We just took her in to have surgery for a tumor on her foot actually. I've met two Xolos and seriously want one one day. I've met a Komondor and a Leonberger.

As for rare sighthounds. I've met so many types but honestly don't know what all is rare or not. Obviously I've met Ibizans lol. I've met Saluki which are on my must have one day list. Borzoi, Galgo, etc

Oh and a Podengo Pequeno