Earthborn grain free causing dogs to lick

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm feeding Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Ocean Catch. Two of my dogs are constantly licking their paws and legs. It's become obsessive at this point.

When they were on Diamond Naturals or TOTW, they didn't do this. We stopped feeding these foods after the recall.

The only difference I can see is Earthborn has peas, pea protein, etc... Could peas be bothering 2 of my dogs?

Any suggestions?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Peas aren't normally an allergy concern, though I have a friend whose dog is allergic to peas (she's allergic to about 40 other things as well, including metal) so it's not impossible.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Im feeding the primitive natural from EB & i havent seen mine licking their paws, Buddy has always been very "licky" but i just think he's very clean LOL, regardless i dont let him do this... i hate the sound LOL.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I have a little of the Primitive that I was giving to one of my dogs. I'll give some of that to Peanut and see if it makes a difference. I really like this food and can afford it for all 4 of them.

I fed Earthborn Coastal catch and primitive for several months but finally had to stop. My dogs did horribly on the food. Excessive shedding, two of them got hot spots and one of my smooth girls licked her feet like crazy, and coats just looked bad.

I switched back to taste of the wild and everything stopped. Shedding slowed down, dogs coated up very quickly, no more hot spots (have NEVER had them before) and Sage stopped licking her feet...

Barb04

Super Moderator
Spiritwind, I actually went & bought a bag of TOTW pacific stream again for Peanut & Kona. They've only been on it for a few days, but I already notice that Kona's eyes aren't all watery in the morning; she's also not licking as much. Peanut had the severe case of licking so it will take a little longer to see any results. If they do well on this, I will switch everyone back to TOTW.

monkeys23

My cat had the opposite problem lol, she started shedding and itching like crazy when I tried some TOTW for cost reasons. Back to the expensive Core we went, **** spoiled cat.

Barb04

Super Moderator
monkeys23, my cat didn't do well on it either. The only food that agrees with his stomach is Halo!

Spiritwind, I actually went & bought a bag of TOTW pacific stream again for Peanut & Kona. They've only been on it for a few days, but I already notice that Kona's eyes aren't all watery in the morning; she's also not licking as much. Peanut had the severe case of licking so it will take a little longer to see any results. If they do well on this, I will switch everyone back to TOTW.
Yeah, I don't know what it was in the Earthborn that didn't agree with my dogs, but something sure didn't work with them. As soon as I switched back to TOTW (high priarie), everything stopped right away.. within days.

Earthborn was actually cheaper too, I could get the Primitive for 42.99 a bag, verses 47.99 for TOTW. Though they were 28lb bags.

Now I will say that I do like some of the new Merrick formulas. My dogs love the Merrick Grain free Duck and sweet potato. I do occasionally mix that in with some of the dogs food.

My cat had the opposite problem lol, she started shedding and itching like crazy when I tried some TOTW for cost reasons. Back to the expensive Core we went, **** spoiled cat.
My cats never cared much for TOTW. They are Merrick before grain salmon.

Barb04

Super Moderator
So far Kona is doing great back on TOTW. Peanut isn't licking as much but he's the one who was the worst with all the symptoms. I'm going to keep him on it and see what happens. My other dogs don't have issues with Earthborn so will finish up the bags I have or will sell to my friend who is using it and just go on TOTW for everyone at this point. I really think it has to do with the the pea, pea protein, & pea flour in Earthborn.

Members online

No members online now.