Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
SBT Lover!!

Neato! That one is gorgeous! The one I met was just a young puppy, 10 weeks or so, and looked just like a JRT with a curled up tail. I hope they keep bringing her in so we can watch her grow!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Squishy face

I think the rarest breed I've ever met was a Lagotto Romagnolo pup who boarded at work. Cute pup, but had a very annoying bark. He was being fed something that looked like vomit and smelled like horse feed and he threw it up ALL OVER HIS CAGE. It was so gross. It was a LOT of food being fed to a little pup at once and I guess his tummy couldn't handle it all in the excitement of a kennel.

We also had a Xoloitzcuintli pup board at work once. He was cute in his little sweater.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Hmm rarest breeds I have seen? I had a Hokkaido client at my work in Vegas. His sister was a Kishu Inu. From another family we had a Kai Ken. It must be a big Japanese breed draw in Vegas because we had a ton of Shibas and several Akitas as well.

http://japanesedogs.bulldoginformation.com/kai-inu.html

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/sh...kishu-inu.html

http://japanesedogs.bulldoginformati...-ainu-inu.html

Also a Tibetan mastiff, two entelbuchers, two saluki, a coated standard Xolo rescue, two thai ridgebacks, one of my instructors runs the number 1 spinone in the AKC, we used to go to the dog park with a komondor and puli, and I'm not sure what else...
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:20 PM
orange iguanas.

Yeah I am one of those people that assumes that if it's a "rare" breed, then I'm probably not going to see one out in public. So I've probably seen rare breeds but then thought oh they must just be an XYZ mix.

I guess the two most uncommon ones I've met were an Alaskan Klee Kai (loved) and a Large Munsterlander (did not love). I did not know a Munsterlander was a "thing" lol I thought that was some silly made up -doodle type name. Interestingly, both those dogs were sitting in humane societies.

Also probably not rare but at my old job we had an Afghan Hound come in for some serious dental work (it had to be broken up into 2 separate days!). I had never seen one before.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

I've seen a Klee Kai, Mini Aussie, and Tibetan Mastiff just walking around the neighborhood. And a former coworker had an English Mastiff puppy, the first one I'd met.

At a recent trial I saw a Puli (I think those are the small ones), Flat Coated Retrievers, and what might have been a Kuvasz (or it could have been an Akbash or a Maremma, I can't tell them apart ) The most exotic-looking dog I've met by far was a Borzoi. The owner was surprised I knew what it was. They are sooo cool. And Salukis, too.

And not really rare, but I'll never forget the time I took Sienna to the dog park in the middle of a Boston Terrier meetup. The memory of Sienna surrounded by Bostons still makes me LOL. One of these things is not like the others.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 11-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Laurelin you finally met a PyrShep?
Briefly and watched them run. It was a smallish sable (fawn?) merle smooth face. Very cute and seemed nice. I need to meet more and in more depth though. Her agility run was so-so.

I also recently saw a pumi(I forgot about that one). And I've seen quite a few russian toys too. And 3 Cirneco del'etnas.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Lord Cynical

I saw a whole slew of Epagneul Bretons at a UKC show once I love UKC for the "uncommon breeds" - UKC is like a whole new world of awesome!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 11-03-2012, 12:16 AM
orange iguanas.

So yesterday at work I got to meet a cane corso puppy, and today at the dog park I met a super crazy leonberger.

I think this thread has just made me stop and think that it is entirely possible I am looking at a purebred, and not a mix of something lol. Like when I saw the leonberger today, my thought process went "hmm maybe he's a mix of... NO WAIT, MAYBE HE'S REAL!"

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I saw a whole slew of Epagneul Bretons at a UKC show once I love UKC for the "uncommon breeds" - UKC is like a whole new world of awesome!
Aren't those Brittanys?

I love UKC too for that reason though!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Oh and I've met 5 Welsh sheepdogs, one of which belongs to my agility trainer. There are not very many of those in the US but there was a litter that ended up going to a lot of the sport homes around here so I see them around all the time. I thought my trainer's Welsh sheepdog was a border collie for weeks. And that is with knowing his dam and littermates prior to this.

At trials/shows I've seen most AKC breeds. I need to get to a UKC show. The latest exciting ones (for me) that I saw in agility were a coolie and a pyr shep.
Have you seen a smooth Pyrshep? It's confusing, because they aren't actually smooth, but they're less coated than the other Pyrsheps. They're also bigger, so it's bizarre all around.

This is Banger, a smooth Pyrshep puppy. He's the only Pyrshep I've met that I actually like.

He is so much like a taller, fuzzier version of my Pirate it's hilarious. Most Pyrsheps can be spooky, not this guy.