Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM
SBT Lover!!

Default What? That's a thing?

So the other day at work a person came in with what I thought was a Jack Russell Terrier puppy. It wasn't! Turns out the pup was a Danish-Swedish Farmdog! Anyone ever heard of these before?

Danish Swedish Farmdog info:
http://www.akc.org/breeds/danish-swe...mdog/index.cfm
http://www.farmdogs.org/

What's the oddest/rarest breed you've encountered at work (if you work in a pet shop/vet/groomer/etc.) or on the street?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm All Ears

Yup! I've heard of them but don't know much about them at all other than they're... farmdogs. lol

Hmmm oddest thing was stumbling into the leonbergr picnic years ago (way before they were popular at all). There was 20 some odd leonbergers at the park that day.

Oddest breed sighting was a pair of New Guinea Singing Dogs.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 PM
SBT Lover!!

Neato! I saw my first Leonberger when I was in Finland two years ago. She was the sweetest (stranger)dog I've ever met. She sat on my foot as I petted her and didn't want to leave when her owner told her it was time to go! I've met a few since then at PDog.

I've never met a New Guinea Singing Dog! That is an odd breed to meet! Very cool!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Sport Model Pug

An old friend of mine got a Karelian Bear Dog and I got to meet the pup last week. She was amazed I got the breed right and didn't just guess border collie mix or husky mix.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 11-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Twin 2

Hmmm I would say a Sloughi a few years back probably.I was completely shameless when I saw her standing there with him and went up immediately to talk to her. I said "Is that a Sloughi?" And she goes "No, this a Slou....wait, you said Sloughi didn't you? Yes he is!!"

I'm trying to think of what else but I think that's the rarest I've met.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Podengo Pequeno (or Medio, can't remember), Valhund, and recently at our last trial a Beauceron.

Adding that I scrolled through pictures of the DSFD and the first picture looked JUST like Charlie.

Last edited by MericoX; 11-01-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:59 AM
Top Dog

My rarest are probably the appenzellers I know, or the mudis. In both cases, I knew some of the first people who imported them and did some breeding. Never met one of the Danish-Swedish Farm Dogs, but I have heard of them!

Old 11-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Hmmm I would say a Sloughi a few years back probably.I was completely shameless when I saw her standing there with him and went up immediately to talk to her. I said "Is that a Sloughi?" And she goes "No, this a Slou....wait, you said Sloughi didn't you? Yes he is!!"
That's just funny! I don't think I'd recognize a Sloughi if I saw one, I'd probably just assume it was some sort of sighthound mix. I'm always surprised when people recognize my Staffords, and that isn't nearly so rare a breed.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:30 AM
I'm All Ears

Oh and I've met 5 Welsh sheepdogs, one of which belongs to my agility trainer. There are not very many of those in the US but there was a litter that ended up going to a lot of the sport homes around here so I see them around all the time. I thought my trainer's Welsh sheepdog was a border collie for weeks. And that is with knowing his dam and littermates prior to this.

At trials/shows I've seen most AKC breeds. I need to get to a UKC show. The latest exciting ones (for me) that I saw in agility were a coolie and a pyr shep.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Top Dog

Laurelin you finally met a PyrShep?

I've heard about the Farmdogs, read up on them and think they're neat but I've never seen one.

I have met a lot of rare breeds over the years. Most recent was a Münsterländer at the place I do agility. First one of those I have ever seen. I have met multiple Mudi, a Pumi, a few Lagottos, a couple Azawakh, a group of Cirneco dell***8217;Etna, a few Russian Toys, a Lancashire Heeler, had a Eurasier in my class, a big group of little Portuguese
Podengo and a few of the medium and large ones, a number of Kai Ken, a Chinook, a couple Filas, a few American Hairless, a number of Entlebuchers, a number of Laekenois, a number of Silken Windhounds, a number of Shiloh Shepherds, a couple Dogo, some Icelandic Sheepdogs, a couple of bonemouth Shar Pei...I'm sure there's more that I'm not thinking of right now.