Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

oh, my favorite... "It doesn't work on high drive or hard dogs." LOL Let's break that down:

A "high drive" dog is highly motivated by certain things - typically things we can access and use as R+, such as treats and toys.

A "hard dog" is one who is insensitive or resistant to correction, physical or otherwise.

So, you're going to tell me that a dog who is easily motivated and doesn't respond well to correction won't flourish under a system that allows them to work for the rewards they place extreme value in, and doesn't place any importance on physical punishment? Positive training is practically designed with those kind of dogs in mind.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
oh, my favorite... "It doesn't work on high drive or hard dogs." LOL Let's break that down:
I think a lot of people don't fully understand what "high drive" is when they use that. I think they only use it to mean "hyper crazy energetic likes to chase cats and squirrels". They don't realize that you can have drive for food or toys too.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I think a lot of people don't fully understand what "high drive" is when they use that. I think they only use it to mean "hyper crazy energetic likes to chase cats and squirrels". They don't realize that you can have drive for food or toys too.
Yeah, that's very true, and that also drives me nuts because hyper =/= drive.

Most high drive dogs are high energy but not all high energy dogs are high drive!

ETA: However, I have heard people who definitely know what those terms mean still say something like that.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post

A "high drive" dog is highly motivated by certain things - typically things we can access and use as R+, such as treats and toys.

A "hard dog" is one who is insensitive or resistant to correction, physical or otherwise.

So, you're going to tell me that a dog who is easily motivated and doesn't respond well to correction won't flourish under a system that allows them to work for the rewards they place extreme value in, and doesn't place any importance on physical punishment? Positive training is practically designed with those kind of dogs in mind.
Exactly this^^^
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson