Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Top Dog

You'd probably do best looking at jobs titled "Veterinary Assistant" vs. tech and then build your skills from there.

I got a job as a "will train vet assistant" probably from working in boarding kennels. The place was a hell hole though, I was pretty miserable. They didn't have enough employees/interest to thoroughly train me so I kind of muddled along and got yelled at (and physically hit by one of the vets) a lot. They were awful to the animals too.

I worked at another vet clinic doing kennels and a little assisting. On the client side of things the place was OK but they took in trapped cats for the county. I strongly disagreed with the way that was handled and ended up kind of miserable there too.

So..I can't stomach working for vets anymore. Every place has it's secrets but it's just not a good fit for me. Make sure YOU are comfortable with them too.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for all the advice, guys! Sounds like it really just depends. All I know, is I want a job in the field of working with animals. Right now I need a job to pay for school and bills, and I would like it to be with animals as well. I LOVED my dog bather job and I am so sad it didn't work out... But when your manager calls you names behind your back (when you can hear her...), calls you retarded to your face, and gives you 9 hours a week... Yeah, that doesn't cut it. I'm a pretty hard worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Pm me where your at. I'm a RVT here in Louisiana, and maybe I could help.
Sent!

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

I'm not really a tech because I'm not certified or registered, but I am a veterinary assistant. I was hired when I was 18, and prior to that I worked at the zoo for about 3 months (summer internship sort of thing) and at the library for 3 months straight out of high school. So, pretty easy for me.

We have the HARDEST time finding people lately. We rarely fire anybody, but we fired I think 3 people in the last year, and each on of them less than a month after they started.

That said, we do have pretty shitty pay. I started at $6.50 six years ago and I'm now making $9.15. I think our starting pay is $8.00 now (minimum wage was raised to $7.75 I think). I JUST started at the zoo and get either $8.00 or $8.50, I can't remember.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Big Dog

I liked staring as an assistant and learning all the various jobs in the clinic. It was entry level pay (6.25 I think?) with no benefits or vacation pay. The more you learn (assistant/tech/receptionist) the more valuable you are and the more you will be paid.

Edited to add that it's REALLY hard work with no week ends or holidays off for the most part but I've been doing it on and off for the past 20 years so I do feel that it's very rewarding.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Top Dog

I got my job because I volunteered a day or two a week and they saw I was competent at animal handling and knew stuff! They told me to apply for the position. I made $10/hour when I left.
ARCH URO1 UCD Buzz NAC NCC S-NJC O-TN-N TG-N WV-N RL2 RLVX RN ThD CGC
Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Resident fainting goat

To find? Easy. I live in a big city with plenty of vet clinics.

but from what I've seen it's impossible to KEEP vet tech work. With rare exception (for those who have been working for a while or have a great place)..The hours are long, the pay is low, the work is tough (challenging, gross etc..) and vets have very erm, testy temperaments sometimes.

I looked into it a while ago and applied a few places, got the jobs, and decided to not take them and STILL get a call every 2 months or so like "We had to let our last vet tech go, looking for help etc.."

As a former animal science student, I did plenty of hours at a vet hospital and was treated more like a vet-in-training, so the job was actually quite interesting.
but seeing how many of the vets treat techs was a bit alarming. It's like a weird doctor/overworked nurse mentality. The techs did ALL the hard work, all the tests, all the cleaning, secretary duties etc..etc..

personally, it wouldn't be a job I would jump through hoops for. Not for the $7-8 an hour that was average salary. Much easier jobs out there for middle wage lol

I wanted to work with animals and looked into other jobs around dogs and found a job as a dog walker/retail at a doggy store and make twice as much..for work that I enjoy a heck of a lot more.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM
such sights to show you

It depends a lot on the area. Some areas are starving for assistants/techs, and others are lousy with them. As has been mentioned, volunteering or shadowing for awhile is a good way to segue into a job at a clinic.

Keep in mind that a lot of vet clinics are owned by veterinarians without any business or management training or experience whatsoever, and so a lot of them are sort of... little poorly managed dysfunctional families. Not to scare you off, but just be aware and look for red flags. Keep in mind that a lot of clinics employ vet students and pre-vet students as assistants, so they have sort of a built-in turnover, but you are still looking for somewhere that there is a core staff with low turnover.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
To find? Easy. I live in a big city with plenty of vet clinics.

but from what I've seen it's impossible to KEEP vet tech work. With rare exception (for those who have been working for a while or have a great place)..The hours are long, the pay is low, the work is tough (challenging, gross etc..) and vets have very erm, testy temperaments sometimes.

I looked into it a while ago and applied a few places, got the jobs, and decided to not take them and STILL get a call every 2 months or so like "We had to let our last vet tech go, looking for help etc.."

As a former animal science student, I did plenty of hours at a vet hospital and was treated more like a vet-in-training, so the job was actually quite interesting.
but seeing how many of the vets treat techs was a bit alarming. It's like a weird doctor/overworked nurse mentality. The techs did ALL the hard work, all the tests, all the cleaning, secretary duties etc..etc..

personally, it wouldn't be a job I would jump through hoops for. Not for the $7-8 an hour that was average salary. Much easier jobs out there for middle wage lol

I wanted to work with animals and looked into other jobs around dogs and found a job as a dog walker/retail at a doggy store and make twice as much..for work that I enjoy a heck of a lot more.
Honestly...when I was at my vet assistant job...after a while it was all I could do to get out of bed in the morning. Towards the end I was ALWAYS 1/2 hour late, I was like the worst employee ever, I usually sat at the desk or bummed around the kennels doing like, nothing, unless there was a client. When I quit they asked if I would stay on part time. I was like . But I mean..the vet was huffing iso during surgeries..what a horrible place that was.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Top Dog

Okay so... Anybody want to help me make my resume? Anybody have any good cover letter examples? I have never done this before and honestly... I am not good at stuff like this. So any tips are awesome. I am making it on a program called Word Perfect and it doesn't have templates or anything. I suck at computer stuff so this is what I have to deal wigh

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Top Dog

What would be a good "objective" statement?