Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Top Dog

I would say DA is probably medium. Its not as high as certain breeds but I wouldnt classify it as rare either. I would guess though that its more likely reactivity than true DA in many cases.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:48 AM
Top Dog

Yep, like Greenmagick said, not rare. SSA is not rare either.
On the dane board both DA and SSA show up a good bit. And like Sara B said, reactivity issues are not rare in the breed either. They are a molosser breed and many of them pick fight over flight, especially as they mature.

Danes do know how big they are and many do realize that they can scare the bejeebers out of folks by putting on a good show of teeth and noise. This is why IMO confrontational training techniques are just not a good route with these dogs (not that they are really with any dog) because eventually they will figure out that they ARE bigger and stronger than you and you end up with this giant dog looking at you saying “make me”. Its not surprising that a lot of danes end up in shelters and rescues around maturity.

Oh, on the topic of “make me”, another dane technique is to go limp. In our house we term it “jello dog”. Imagine trying to wrestle a giant water balloon. This is what its like to try and remove a dane from your lap who has gone “jello dog”. It doesn’t help that at this point your legs are probably numb. Some danes employ this technique to avoid the bath tub or being led to their doom (aka the scales at the vet).

The term “gentle giants” bugs me honestly. I think it set a lot of new owners and their dogs up for failure.
These dogs are not inherently gentle. They are a giant, powerful dog who can weigh 100 pounds at 6 months. Just watch any 6 month old puppy go through the day, now picture that puppy at 100 pounds. They like to be physical. You watch them play, and you can hear the body slams. They have no concept of how delicate humans are by comparison.

One slap with a paw (that they love to use) can leave you with a bloody nose. DH loves to wrestle and play physically with the dogs... At 7 or 8 months Breez flattened him playing outside. Knocked a full grown man who was ready for the hit flat on the ground. (He knows now not to give her a running start.) She has also chipped one of his teeth (or was that Lunar?) and I’ve bitten clean through my tongue being clocked on the chin with a dane head.

They can be TAUGHT to be gentle, but it does have to be purposefully taught.

Dane tails are deadly. Like fling a coffee mug off the table, across the room, in to the wall deadly. Like, drop a man to his knees if he gets hit *there* - which happens surprisingly often because of their height. This is Breez demanding dinner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6dJA74EqRk

The scary truck:
Breez was about 11 months here. Truck was new and clearly dangerous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLiKRhvGHQA

This one... there are no words really... but it gives you a glimpse in to two dane personalities:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyMCoIWE3aA
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy View Post
At a glance, Danes would seem ideal guard dogs because of its massive size. Most Danes would measure 30 inches or more at the shoulders. The mere size of the dog would intimidate wrongdoers. This breed though was affectionately dubbed "Gentle Giants" by its fans. Danes make ideal home companions because they are loyal, gentle and affectionate. The love these dogs have for their owners is as big as their size.
Anyone that has lived with a Dane knows that term is just not true. Even a happy go lucky Dane is not gentle.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I've actually never heard of a dog aggressive Dane. Personally.
Have you heard of Classic? He was human aggressive. Most of my fosters had issues in one form or another. Most of the Danes I have in classes are at least reactive. Now, yes I did take in the behaviorally challenged fosters and yes your average Dane owner doesn't sign up for obedience classes unless there is a problem, but the reaction issues are very common.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Felurian

You guys are making me miss Phoenix, the black Dane who belongs to the friend whose animals I watch when she's out of town.

Phoenix thinks he's a Rat Terrier . . . . He has no clue how big he is.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I've actually never heard of a dog aggressive Dane. Personally.
Strider has a rather large scar on his muzzle from an idiot lady who allowed her dane to drag her over at a show, while shrieking "HE'S FRIENDLY HE'S FRIENDLY!" and me trying to shout over her to keep him away from my dog and body blocking.

Try blocking a dane some time or backing out of its reach when the owner is letting it drag her around on a shoestring. Her dog got in Strider's face, lifted his lips and snarked him right in the face. It laid his muzzle right open and he was bleeding everywhere. I ended up having to take him in the ring with a bloody muzzle, luckily the judge saw what happened and complemented him on how well he handled himself. She also gave him a V-1.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Felurian

Shiva got accosted by one at the pet supply, and there was one who considered coming over the 3' ornamental iron fence around his front yard one afternoon when I was walking Bimmer and Kharma. I'm not sure whether he was after me or the two dogs, or all of us, but his owners are definitely idiots who are just asking to lose their dog and have the hell sued out of them one day.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian