Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

if you have a whole foods, you can find local unfiltered honey there.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Thatís awesome that he had such a great response and is feeling better though!
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 AM
SevenSins

And... He stopped responding to the medication. It's like everything I throw at this dog, his body just becomes "immune" to. he starts to look amazing, and then it all goes to hell. Both his dermatologist and I feel like we're running out of things to try here. he's pretty much scratched his underside bald again and is, again. loaded with bacteria and fungal infection.

Pictures were taken AFTER a bath one day ago in Dawn (as per derm vet instruction, trying to keep as much stuff stripped out of his coat as possible) followed by a medicated lotion.

Anyone want to sell me a miracle cure? I don't feel like we're at "that point" yet, but his vets and I agree that we're slowly but surely coming to it.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 AM
Top Dog

Did you ever give the MSM a shot?
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Love my pets

Have you tried going to a holistic vet. My friend's dog came down with cushings and the holistic vet she found is working miracles.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Behavior Nerd

Holistic vet! I've had good luck with using holistic treatment for chronic issues in my dogs and cats and it sounds like you really don't have much to lose at this point.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post

Anyone want to sell me a miracle cure? I don't feel like we're at "that point" yet, but his vets and I agree that we're slowly but surely coming to it.
I believe that if you are coming to the point of considering this, it is probably time to try some of the treatments you are more worried about causing long term damage like Atopica. I hear that is really good stuff, I think it would be worth a try.

It really sucks because you get into a cycle of needing to suppress the immune system against reacting to allergens, but then the dog gets secondary infections that are difficult to fight off and require a strong immune system. Since we know what the allergens are, is there a possibility of him 'living' in a set of PJs so the human dander and grass pollen isn't settling on him?

A low carb/low glycemic diet might help with the infections. Fungus, bacterias, yeasts feed off sugar and in theory will starve if there isn't much in the skin. There should be some sugar in the diet though to feed the good bacteria in the gut. There is a lot of research and conversation on that if you google. I took it to heart with that pug and had her on low glycemic diets. I was treating her for the demodex as well but the secondary infections did clear up and left her with just the patchy coat. I can't be 100% sure it was the diet but I believe it helped.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 AM
such sights to show you

I would try Atopica. If you're starting to think about "that point" then you really have nothing to lose by giving it a chance.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Puppy Dog

I didn't read through this whole thing, but have you tried Atopica? As long as you get the generic MODIFIED cyclosporine, Wal-Mart has relatively reasonable prices and it has been a lifesaver for several really itchy dogs. It's also generally much better tolerated than anyone would guess, too.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 AM
SevenSins

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of holistic medicine. I realize people are genuinely trying to help, and I do appreciate the thought, so I don't want to step on toes. I simply don't understand it at all. Not to mention, the only holistic vet I can find in my area with a website (I like to pre-vet my vets before I decide to pursue using them) wants to charge $60 for 15 minutes and $20 every 5 minutes thereafter for a phone consult, without seeing my pet at all. That just seems morally wrong to me, somehow.

Crazed, do you happen to have any specific brand recommendations by any chance? One thing that none of my vets can figure out is why every time these allergies flare up like this, he becomes next to impossible to keep weight on, so far regardless of which food he's on. It's hard to tell body condition in the photo I posted, but although he's nowhere close to emaciated (he's teetered on it a couple times in the past), he has a lot of muscle wasting and his heavy, thick skin tends to A-frame over his spine. I've tried several types of food, ranging from 5-6 star brands on dogfood analysis.com (Instinct, Blue Wilderness), to intentionally testing him on lower quality, lower protein food (Diamond) because some Bulldogs just don't process higher protein well. Surprisingly didn't make a lick of difference as far as weight or condition on either end of the spectrum, and he required around the same quantity of food per day just to maintain what little weight I can keep on him. However, when he's on something that causes his allergies to subside...he practically becomes an "air fern."

About Atopica, that was basically my derm vet's final recommendation if all else fails. She wanted me to try the steroids first because Atopica is very expensive and apparently tends to just stop working anywhere from 6 months on the drug and up. We were hoping to knock down a lot of this stuff between the steroid and some more heavy antibiotics, then keep him maintained once he was weaned off of them. And, well, he looked like a completely different dog within days of starting the steroid. Unfortunately once he began tapering off, that was that. So Atopica is definitely on the short-list. I haven't tried MSM yet, I honestly forgot it was suggested.

I have thought about putting him in something like this http://www.k9topcoat.com/group.asp?grp=24 but after inputting his measurements it said no recommendations. Got to love a hard to fit dog with weird body proportions, right? My other concern is that...well, this is the dog that likes to swallow foreign objects and I'll admit I'm concerned about him deciding to tear a chunk out of something I put on him and swallow it. Maybe he needs to live in PJs and an e-collar.

Or maybe I should concede to the really big hamster ball...