Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

Default Havanese

Has anyone had any experience with this little breed?

They seem very sweet and are absolutely gorgeous. I get the impression that they are fairly lively little dogs - could possibly be a lot of fun to dabble in some dog sports with.

Their coat is impressive - I wonder about the grooming. And health - that's a big consideration for me.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

Here, "Havanese" are super-common.

I say havanese in quotes...because I'm 90% sure the majority of them are little poodle mixes or malti mixes or some other tiny lap mutts being sold as a "rare" breed for like $2500 dollars. A lot of them have incredibly curly hair, which is not a havanese trait...some of them have such long backs they look like they're part dachshund (more likely part shih tzu), etc.

The ones I HAVE met that I believe could be purebred Havanese, are pretty awesome little dogs. Some are a tiny bit shy with strangers but warm up quickly, most are pretty friendly. Similar to shih tzus in temperament but a little bit more biddable and inquisitive. Almost terrier-like, without being tenacious.

I'd own one in a heartbeat.

ETA:

They require a LOT of grooming. The coat mats easily, maybe even easier than a shih tzu or yorkie coat, more like a maltese coat, it's very thick and very soft. They either need daily brushing, or someone who can groom them regularly or get them groomed probably every 6-8 weeks.

Health wise, prone to most lil dog problems, knee issues, eye issues, and around here, back issues and elbow issues. A good breeder would test for like...every joint issue, eyes, and I think deafness and heart issues are also recommended.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Active Pup

I had Havanese for years. My boss has one now, they are the reason I started grooming because I didn't want to leave them with anyone and I love the long hair. Everyone got brushed every night and bathed every 4-5 days. I had 4 in full coat at one time or another it was a lot of work.

Personality they are great!! Mine were great with kids, dogs, cats everyone they come in contact with they got along with. Just be aware what you ware getting into with the coat... it is high maintenance. Either brush all the time or get them groomed every 4-6 weeks.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm All Ears

I've really loved the havanese I've met. They've just been delightful. Fun, spunky, very happy little dogs. Too much grooming though.;;''''

end of post added by Mia, but I thought it was too cute to erase, lol.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

I loooveee this Havanese on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/myfavoritepupjasmine

That's all I have to say.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I loooveee this Havanese on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/myfavoritepupjasmine

That's all I have to say.
Lol, too cute. Jasmine is awesome.

I really like the sound of their temperament/personality - love the description of almost terrier like without being tenacious and their spunkiness. They really do sound like a dog you could have a lot of fun with. I'll have to look into grooming and health issues a bit more though. :-)
Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Not a Border Collie

One of our close friends is a wonderful Havanese breeder. Her dogs are just lovely - bright, outgoing, stable little dogs. They will alert bark but are otherwise very quiet in the house Not fragile at all despite their small size. The coat is a lot of work if you plan on showing or otherwise keeping them in full coat - she keeps her retired bitch shaved down more for easier upkeep.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Lord Cynical

We have a MACH Havanese in our club. I love the breed - lively, happy, cheerful little dogs with a ton of potential in practically any sport you choose to pursue.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 10-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

One of my students is a breeder of them. She does conformation, rally and is now training for agility. Awesome, nice little dogs. I see three of hers every week and will be running her stud dog soon in agility.

Pretty easy going dogs, with some speed and eagerness to please.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Top Dog

Wow, they sound really cool! Just a lot of fun really. I will be looking into them more and have added them to a list of potentials for next breed.