Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
My dogs love me to F7$K with their food. They think, "oh boy! She's bringing a piece of that left over chicken parmessan she had for dinner. Hurry up Mom, stick it right in here!" That's only because they have learned that people near or sticking their hands in their bowl means it's a good thing....and not one iota of a threat. Of course, if a dog has resource guarding issues or hasn't been conditioned to understanding that people are no threat to their food, then yeah....leave them be until they are conditioned to liking people near their food or valuables.
Exactly-My dogs are the same way. They dont mind me in their food a bit-and it ends up me hand feeding which they LOVE the interaction...

BUT-I never agreed with THIS test being part of a temperment test that decides if a dog gets euthanized or not. A dog, that is awesome all the way around EXCEPT not wanting his food messed with, will be put down instead of rehomed. And this makes me angry BECAUSE some dogs are just like that.

To tease a dog and make him react-is wrong, and will likely end up a permanant case of the dog never changing or learning and always fearing and not trusting.

And I agree about the child dropping food. Is why our Zeus, who has Hugely High prey drive for footballs, gets put up in his crate when our grandbaby-to-be comes over.....she loves balls and I wont wait for her to drop or reach for one at the same time as Zeus. Not food, same concept.