Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Sport Model Pug

Default Great Vet, Crummy Tech

So for Izzie's appointment today we saw a new vet at the practice, a fresh grad. I like the clinic, super great place and this new vet upheld that. What I was annoyed at was a new tech there came in before the vet and first gave me a dirty look when I said I feed raw, then asked if we'd be vaccinating Izzie at the same visit. Then continued to push the issue telling me I won't be able to cross the border and they can load her up with antihistamines to vaccinate her and that titers are trash. Yeah I finally had to sternly say "no, she's my dog and I know the risks. I'm not vaccinating right now and not sure if I ever will again judging by her last reaction". Shut her up quick, she probably has never had someone stand up to her before.

Anyway, I'm going to stick with this vet. She's very open minded and super lovely, might switch to her completely actually. But I hope I never have that tech again. Miserable.

Have any of you guys had a similar experience with crummy techs at an otherwise great clinic?

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I had a crummy tech at the emerg vet when we went to euthanize Rascal... but to be honest, the vet was mighty crummy as well. Apparently I must have caught them on a bad day, cause I was telling the rescue vice-pres and she was really surprised to hear what a bad time I had there.

Otherwise, nope. Both vets and techs at our normal clinics are fantastic.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

I had Lucy at the vet Sunday. The vet was raving about her figure, calling her the "perfect specimen" while looking at all her muscle tone He said it must be due to all her agility. Then the tech said, "Isn't agility super dangerous? Don't tons of dogs get really hurt since they have to do such unnatural things with their bodies?"

I was kind of caught off guard, and the only response I could come up with was, "It's not dangerous if you train it correctly." But seriously? Why bring that up?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Yes. My tech at Frodo's dental surgery was a piece of work.

Instead of undivided attention to Frodo she spent our room time blabbering on and weighing herself on the scale.

Teehee! For those who don't know SpringerLover was our tech for Frodo's surgery, and she was spectaculous!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 10-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I had Lucy at the vet Sunday. The vet was raving about her figure, calling her the "perfect specimen" while looking at all her muscle tone He said it must be due to all her agility. Then the tech said, "Isn't agility super dangerous? Don't tons of dogs get really hurt since they have to do such unnatural things with their bodies?"

I was kind of caught off guard, and the only response I could come up with was, "It's not dangerous if you train it correctly." But seriously? Why bring that up?
Wow. That's so rude!

The tech also kept trying to blame Izzie's diet and blame my care of her for her anal gland rupturing, which was very off putting. She insisted to me that Izzie must have scooted or chewed at her butt or or or when I said time after time she doesn't do those things, it'll just be fine and then a few hours later it'll be swollen and of ruptured... And that because she lost 0.6 kg since march that she was probably sick for a long time because "dogs don't just lose weight like that."

Yeah. Debating on a letter being written to be honest. I'm just annoyed by the know it all factor.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 10-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Yes. My tech at Frodo's dental surgery was a piece of work.

Instead of undivided attention to Frodo she spent our room time blabbering on and weighing herself on the scale.

Teehee! For those who don't know SpringerLover was our tech for Frodo's surgery, and she was spectaculous!
I giggled out loud at that!

I had a super awesome amazing tech for Bailey's surgery. I loved her and told her how much I effing appreciated her! Total win!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Top Dog

I'm my own tech, so no But I was THRILLED the one time I found someone who fed raw and told him so lol. I'm also pretty happy when I hear they're feeding a good brand of kibble. Not so thrilled when they say they feed Science Die and then act appalled that I'd even ask Even though, you know, that's MY JOB.

One time this guy told me he feeds Taste of the Wild and then got real close and whispered "I think that's way better than that Science Diet stuffyou guys sell here." I had to laugh, he was acting like it was this awful secret that he fed good food and thought Sci Die was crap. Truth is, my vet knows where I stand on the issue and bit by bit I'm opening his mind...ever so slightly.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Top Dog

I've had a vet tech give me dirty looks before... And one time I had gone in for a rabies shot for a foster, and the woman I spoke to on the phone told them I wanted the full round of shots. When I got there, the tech had prepared all the syringes and needles. I said "Uh... We are only getting rabies." And she said "Why did you tell the receptionist you wanted all of them?". I said "I didn't" and she goes into this fit about how it's a big hassle, that I should just get all the shots, how their receptionist doesn't LIE... It was ridiculous. She then clipped my fosters nails and instead of clipping a little at the top (black nails) to see where the quik was, she clipped halfway up the nail and made my foster bleed everywhere. And when the dog squirmed, she said loudly and angrily "sit still **** it!". I made sure to tell the vet and I never saw that tech there again. Horrible.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you canít eat money." ĖNative American proverb
Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 PM
orange iguanas.

No. I've had the opposite - wonderful techs, crappy vet. There was one vet that we went to for 15 years and I'd say a large reason why we stayed so long was because we loved the techs and had a pretty good relationship with some of them. Even though the vet was kind of a jerk.

One thing that I hated about being a tech, was having to push the clinic's policies which usually conflicted with my own beliefs. So yeah I would "push" stupid, unnecessary vaccines on people and they probably hated it if they really knew they didn't want it (vs people that just have no clue about any of it), but I'm just doin' my job. Your 12 year old chihuahua that never leaves your yard? No, I really don't think he needs a lepto vaccine, but I'm gonna tell you that you should get it anyway.... ugh.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Top Dog

You know...I've had similar reactions from the receptionists/techs and then the docs are pretty OK with it. I've had receptionists DEMAND previous vet records or where the dog was seen previously..eh. I've moved from FL to MA and been to three different clinics here, and probably...10? in FL before I found one I liked. I know some clients don't have a clue, but I have a pretty good grasp on what's been done to my dogs and can verbally give them my dogs' history. Usually vax records don't really pertain to the reason I'm bringing the dog in. I really only bring my dogs to the vets for health problems/emergencies and use vaccine clinics/myself for annual stuff.