Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

Renee.. that is so true, Cocoa gets so mad when she chases Myles and he runs straight for dad and daddy picks him up. My husband who was so worried about them hurting Cocoa has now been telling Myles to stand up for himself (Myles is just so passive).. What I love is when Cocoa thinks she's going after Myles and Houdini turns around and she sees the face and is like "oh s**t", I just have to laugh.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:10 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Kennel dogs eat once a day,,, I would put a big meal in the morning and dispense with the evening until at least they settle down. It could be the change of food as well, if their is nothing in their bowels at night, they can't go. Feeding once a day may be what they were use to.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Top Dog

Smkie - good thought.. I've e-mailed the rescue lady to ask her if I can talk to the foster mom to see how often she was feeding. It just seems like one meal a day at 6:30 a.m. isn't enough? Am I crazy or just thinking how much I like to eat... LOL
Old 02-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Island dweller

It sounds like they aren't even pooping in there half the time. So, they are probably still adjusting. You will probably have to get up in the middle of the night to let them out.

And, as Renee said, they really need to have some exercise before bed to stimulate their bowels.

Keep in mind that crate training may not be for every dog. Especially if they have already learned to go in their crate.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:24 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

If I put Vic in the crate he would come undone..even the bathroom with the door shut makes him panicky he is so claustraphobic.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Island dweller

Poor thing. They have such individual personalities. What works for one will not necessarily work for another.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Felurian

Straight up - the only time I've ever used a crate for anything has been occasionally for transporting one of the cats that didn't particularly like the car. Crates do have their uses, and for some dogs they are the answer to some problems, but crating is a relatively new thing outside the show world, so don't feel obligated to use it. After all, it's just another tool - nothing sacrosanct about it at all.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-14-2005, 07:47 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I agree with Renee. Crating is a great tool for some dogs, when it works, but it doesn't help in situations where the dog doesn't understand and/or doesn't like it. To be honest I'd skip out and the pads too and train them to go outside directly instead, if at all possible.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 02-15-2005, 03:19 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

When Jim had a Mary's brother Garg, and I had Bronki...and garg hated Bronki..and Jim and I were living together I had the brainy idea that I would stick Bronki in the cage and at least that way he could still be in the same room..i was rotating dogs, giving each 2 hours and then switching. Bronki was in that crate for 5 minutes..he trembled so and looked so upset that I went back to rotating. Those two dogs didn't see the sight of the other for 7 months. It was hard.