Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

Oh yeah.. A few pics lol. They were 1 or 2 days old

Old 10-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Let it be

Because everyone is talking about dogs and kids... Bandit has been co sleeping with Briggs and I nearly since birth. Woops! Not at night for the first several months but he'd sleep in bed with us at nap time. I'd actually be more concerned about a dog once the baby starts trying to pull themselves up. Infants are easy. Dont leave them unsupervised with the dog. Dont leave them on the floor. Babywaer so you can train/walk doggy AND make sure your dog doesnt lunge on the leash well before you have an infant or find a different way to exercise them. Thats really the only concern I had about Bandit so I got his leash reactivity reasonably under control before Briggs. I didnt even bat an eye lash bringing Blake home. He saw him in the bucket seat and I let him sniff him right away. He let out a very quiet howl, did a little dance and that was that.

But, Bandit is a very nanny-like dog. He LOVES babies. Briggs doesnt harasshim at all though. They both have very little interest in getting in each other's space. They do nap together daily still. Melts my heart

oh and MAKE SURE if you are going to use a stroller your dog respects it. Doesnt pull or spook at it.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Top Dog

I can't wait for this trimester to be over. I've had spotting on and off since 5 weeks and even though I had a normal ultrasound at 8 weeks, it's so **** stressful and worrying. Ugh.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Bite Club

Sorry to hear that I hope it gets better soon! The second trimester definitely goes a lot faster in my experience!

~Aura & Riley~
Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

Thanks Jenv. A lot of other women in my birth month group appear to have or have had the same thing happen and everything carried on fine but all the positive experiences and good- sounding statistics do nothing to help when it's actually happening.

I have another midwife appointment in a week from tomorrow. Hopefully she can put me at ease...
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow..It's getting so close I can't wait anymore..lol The baby is already head down.

The only thing i'm worried about with the dogs is the toys..lol Mikito thinks anything that is soft and makes noise is his!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Behavior Nerd

DH and I are looking at the end of 2014 for starting on the baby journey here. I've been obsessively researching since my bff had her second child 2 years ago. LOL I've learned that I am a very crunchy sort.

iluvdogs, I've heard that you can teach dogs that items with a specific scent (think a dab of vanilla or lavender) are theirs, but those without aren't. Maybe that would help?

Old 10-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Let it be

I am a crunchy mama and I am cool with it. I'm not pushy in my beliefs. I just do what feels right for myself and that happens to be very hippy lady apparently.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post

iluvdogs, I've heard that you can teach dogs that items with a specific scent (think a dab of vanilla or lavender) are theirs, but those without aren't. Maybe that would help?
We tried that with puppy Strider and it worked really well. He's always been really good about not messing with her stuff. I think we used Vick's vaporub or toothpaste. It was something minty.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 PM
PSD Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post

That is what we do. We use almond extract. I actually wrote an article several years back that was published on how to train a dog to leave your childrens toys alone and to be able to tell the difference between the two.