Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
Yes, a lady flying her GSDs here from Germany was told the crates were too small because their ears touched the top. Of course, she argued with them until the airline relented. Got to love the German's common sense.

My pup came from Sweden in a Petmate kennel. The IATA compliance is key.

Here are some other allowable brands.
http://www.pettravelstore.com/catego...es/Pet-Crates/
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPuppy View Post
I would not put anything in the crate. You would never know if there was an accident until it was too late. Food and water are required, and you can put in a pad. You can buy superabsorbant kennel liners that are like flat diapers and hold the moisture and keep the dog dry. I bought Dry Fur before my overseas trip with my puppy, but I didn't need it. http://www.pettravelstore.com/produc...rate-Pads.html
Thank you! I've bookmarked that site, it seems to have a lot of good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Bottom kennel pictured doesn't have screws closing the top and bottom of the kennel together.. it's just plastic pretend bolts. Too possible to break it..
I'm checking the descriptions to make sure it fits what you guys are saying. I was just making sure that's the general style I should be looking for. Solid crates with just the door and bar window things.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Owned by Belgians

You can buy the metal screws from that Pet Travel website. But I also thought that bottom crate looked a little iffy.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

I flew Logan in a Remmington which is the last one you pictured. I probably should have bought the next size up, but without seeing how big he was OR how big the crate was i was hard to determine that. But he was in a down in his crate most of the time, so it was okay

I don 't remember what Tango flew in, but it was HUGE because he's so freaking tall and has huge stand-up ears. It was kind of ridiculous.

NO wire crates. Most that are okay will say "airline approved." If it doesn't have nut-and-bolt closures holding it together, buy a pack of zip ties to reinforce the clips. The remington doesn't have bolts, so you'll need to reinforce. It's super easy to travel to shows with because it can be broken down and set up SO fast without the stupid bolts, but it does definitely need reinforced for flying.

You can put a towel, or even better a bath mat in the crate. A bowl clipped to the door for food and one for water, freeze the water bowl overnight before you leave. Attach a bag of food to the crate, but don't actually feed the dog before you fly.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Behavior Nerd

I believe that for international travel, you'll need ventilation on all four sides, not just 3 like most crates (that are approved for in-country travel).

Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Top Dog

Yes, need ventilation on 4 sides for international travel. For international, if you're going with plastic, I'd buy the SkyKennel (which is basically the Vari-Kennel with ventilation on 4 sides. Made by the same company.) That's the one I have for airplane travel.

You are probably going to want the 500. Maybe the 400, but the 500 would be safer. 400 is 36x24x26H, the 500 is 40x27x30 high. Much easier if the airline doesn't refuse your crate for your dog. My Tess, who is all of 15 1/2" at the shoulder, flies in a 300 (32x22.5x24" high). It's roomy, but the next size down doesn't give her much room to stretch out, and they're likely to think she's over-cramped.

The only other option is a really expensive solid metal crate.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
You are probably going to want the 500. Maybe the 400, but the 500 would be safer. 400 is 36x24x26H, the 500 is 40x27x30 high. Much easier if the airline doesn't refuse your crate for your dog. My Tess, who is all of 15 1/2" at the shoulder, flies in a 300 (32x22.5x24" high). It's roomy, but the next size down doesn't give her much room to stretch out, and they're likely to think she's over-cramped.
I don't know which I should get, honestly. I measured Zane today and he's 27'' tall. He has a fairly short neck and cuppy ears, so I don't think he'd be too terribly cramped in a 400. But I'm not sure. He's 24'' shoulder to butt, and 14'' leg length, measured from the ground to the armpit.

He's so much longer than he is tall, especially laying down, since his legs go in front of him.

I guess I might as well get the 500. Better too big than too small.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Behavior Nerd

Get the 500 - Aeri's breeder had to ship a male mal in a 500 because his ears touched in the 400 and iirc he was smaller than Zane. I use 400s for my 40lb dogs around the house.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Get the 500 - Aeri's breeder had to ship a male mal in a 500 because his ears touched in the 400 and iirc he was smaller than Zane. I use 400s for my 40lb dogs around the house.
That was Q, it was a mess getting him here.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Behavior Nerd

I thought that might've been the dog but couldn't remember. How big is Q?

Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

I prefer these for air travel. The door latches up and down as well as across it. I find them to be the sturdiest. It is what Judge's breeder uses to ship GSDs internationally.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.