Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Top Dog

Default Kennel/Crate for Air Travel!

So all the sales are going on for post-Halloween stuff and Petco along with some other sites are having pretty good deals up to like 60%. This is obviously the time to grab a crate for Zander.

We are leaving in March, and I won't know if we will need to provide a kennel or if a kennel will be provided for us until January. Either way, I figure it'll be a good thing to have one on hand anyway, especially since I feel like I'm probably going to have to work with him all over again to like the kennel.

So what type of crate is suitable for most airlines? Vari Kennels seem like the most widely accepted answer, but are the other similar brands okay too?

I think Zane will need in the area of 30'' to stand up, little longer in length because he's built like a train.

Any input welcome!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Twin 2

The crates I have that Traveler, Didgie and Zinga came in where made to fit the standards and I can't seem to find a brand. They just say Live Animal and BUilt to I.A.T.A specifications Cage is approved for use on Qantas Group Aircraft

So pretty much I'm no help, just wanted to make sure you knew that I believe the dog needs to be able to stand up completely and naturally WITHOUT their ears touching (at least that's what I remember when I looked into it). Since pointy dogs have pointy ears I figured I would throw that out there in case you didn't know.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
The crates I have that Traveler, Didgie and Zinga came in where made to fit the standards and I can't seem to find a brand. They just say Live Animal and BUilt to I.A.T.A specifications Cage is approved for use on Qantas Group Aircraft

So pretty much I'm no help, just wanted to make sure you knew that I believe the dog needs to be able to stand up completely and naturally WITHOUT their ears touching (at least that's what I remember when I looked into it). Since pointy dogs have pointy ears I figured I would throw that out there in case you didn't know.
Yep! Zander is somewhere between 24-26 inches at the shoulders, so I figure 30''+ should leave a good amount of room. Usually kennels come in those 32, 34, 36, type of sizes, so I don't think I'll have too much of an issue with that. I'm going to get a tape measure to make sure, though.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
the dog needs to be able to stand up completely and naturally WITHOUT their ears touching (at least that's what I remember when I looked into it). Since pointy dogs have pointy ears I figured I would throw that out there in case you didn't know.
I've never flown a dog so I have nothing to add other than I had no idea that that was a rule! That's nuts. I wonder why they made that a rule. Good thing the Dobermans don't have to travel anywhere by plane... Ripley's ears probably add a good three inches or more to his head.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 10-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Ferret Keeper

I know when we traveled from holland to here they said they animal must be able to sit /stand and lay down comfortable in the kennel. It cannot be a wire kennel and must have screws or bolts no press latches to keep it closed.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I have a friend who breeds afghans. Because the topknot of an adult she was shipping touched the top of the kennel she had to buy the next size up at the airport...

They can be jerky about the little things. I hate flying animals.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

Does anyone know the regulations as far as chewies, blankets, etc? Or does it have to be a completely empty crate?

But according to those rules pretty much any of these would work? They are all different brands, different sizes, different ratings, but I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should be looking for.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:
Yes, a lady flying her GSDs here from Germany was told the crates were too small because their ears touched the top. Of course, she argued with them until the airline relented. Got to love the German's common sense.

My pup came from Sweden in a Petmate kennel. The IATA compliance is key.

Here are some other allowable brands.
http://www.pettravelstore.com/catego...es/Pet-Crates/
Old 10-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Does anyone know the regulations as far as chewies, blankets, etc? Or does it have to be a completely empty crate?
I would not put anything in the crate. You would never know if there was an accident until it was too late. Food and water are required, and you can put in a pad. You can buy superabsorbant kennel liners that are like flat diapers and hold the moisture and keep the dog dry. I bought Dry Fur before my overseas trip with my puppy, but I didn't need it. http://www.pettravelstore.com/produc...rate-Pads.html
Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Bottom kennel pictured doesn't have screws closing the top and bottom of the kennel together.. it's just plastic pretend bolts. Too possible to break it..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground