Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-20-2012, 07:27 PM
treehugging clicker freak

well... I haven't been very active with the breed like I was... but...

Cockers are interesting because they're broken up into the three color categories. Black, ASCOB (Any Solid Color Other than Black) and Parti.
Quote:
Black Variety-Solid color black to include black with tan points. The black should be jet; shadings of brown or liver in the coat are not desirable. A small amount of white on the chest and/or throat is allowed; white in any other location shall disqualify.

ASCOB -ranging from lightest cream to darkest red, including brown and brown with tan points. The color shall be of a uniform shade, but lighter color of the feathering is permissible. A small amount of white on the chest and/or throat is allowed; white in any other location shall disqualify.

Parti-Color Variety -Two or more solid, well broken colors, one of which must be white; black and white, red and white (the red may range from lightest cream to darkest red), brown and white, and roans, to include any such color combination with tan points. It is preferable that the tan markings be located in the same pattern as for the tan points in the Black and ASCOB varieties. Roans are classified as parti-colors and may be of any of the usual roaning patterns. Primary color which is ninety percent (90%) or more shall disqualify.

Tan Points--The color of the tan may be from the lightest cream to the darkest red and is restricted to ten percent (10%) or less of the color of the specimen; tan markings in excess of that amount shall disqualify. In the case of tan points in the Black or ASCOB variety, the markings shall be located as follows:

1) A clear tan spot over each eye;
2) On the sides of the muzzle and on the cheeks;
3) On the underside of the ears;
4) On all feet and/or legs;
5) Under the tail;
6) On the chest, optional; presence or absence shall not be penalized.

Tan markings which are not readily visible or which amount only to traces, shall be penalized. Tan on the muzzle which extends upward, over and joins shall also be penalized. The absence of tan markings in the Black or ASCOB variety in any of the specified locations in any otherwise tan-pointed dog shall disqualify.
Quote:
Roan colors in American Cockers are:
Blue Roan-Which is basicly a black and white parti where the individual black hairs intermingles
with white which often gives a bluish appearance.
Brown Roan, Chocolate Roan or Liver Roan-Brown and white parti with brown hairs intermingled in the white
Orange Roan..sometimes called Red Roan & Strawberry Roan-Which is a red and white parti with red hairs intermingled in the white
All 3 can also have tan points, although you generally won't really see the tan points in a red roan
There are NO health issues associated with the roan gene.
I've seen sable and merle cockers, but they're not an acceptable show color and very controverisial depending on who you're talking to in the breed.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

Ibizan- any color other than red and white is a disqualification.

Great Pyrenees- coat is white and can have markings of badger, gray, or various shades of tan. Acceptable colors other than white covering 1/3 of the body is a fault.

Collie- there are 4 accepted colors in Collies tri- color, sable and white, blue merle and white.

Boston- they must be black, seal or brindle with white markings. Required markings on the boston are White blaze between the eyes, white forechest and white muzzle band.

Aussie-they can be blue merle, red merle, red and black ( with or without white markings and tan markings ). They should have color patches covering eyes and ears.
Disqualifications are white body splashes.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:43 PM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
For some things, I understand this-- merle, for example. Albino Dobes. But for something like black and tan or liver... what is the benefit of selecting against that?
What I've heard is that B&T is dominant and it could eventually lead to the breed becoming mostly B&T. I've also heard that it's a sign that another breed has been mixed in because B&T isn't found in bulldogs. Though it is found in some terriers, so that doesn't make sense to me. Whatever the case is, that's the standard. Why aren't Dobermans and Rotties allowed to be colours other than B&T? Why must the Dogue de Bordeaux be fawn? Why can't Mastiffs be piebald? Why? It's the standard.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Taxiderpy

I thought black and tan was recessive to most other colors?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Active Pup

Poodles can come in any solid color, however parti colours are not allowed in the show ring.

Cairn terriers can be any color except white. Darker muzzles are more desirable.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:15 PM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I thought black and tan was recessive to most other colors?
Wouldn't know. I was just repeating what I'd heard. I don't know the real reason.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Sport Model Pug

Pugs come in Fawn with a black mask and Black with a black mask. Fawn includes everything from white to a darker apricot colour. Any other colour, including brindle, is a disqualification. As well as a heavy trace or "smutty fawn" (where lots of dark hairs are interspersed throughout the coat) and white larger than a dime on the chest of blacks is undesirable. Heavy, non-defined masks are also not desirable.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 10-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

Accepted colors are
Black and White
Liver and white are the two accepted colors.
DQs are
patches of any color,
brindle,
blue,
sable,
orange,
lemmon(yellow)
and any color/pattern I missed.

Blue eyes are considered a fault but not a DQ.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Top Dog

Collies come in tricolor, sable and white, blue merle, and sable merle. All have white markings, sometime enough white to make them color-headed whites. Double-merle whites are frowned upon of course. I've seen some pretty gorgeous markings - some from merle, some from just white markings.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsydals View Post
Accepted colors are
Black and White
Liver and white are the two accepted colors.
DQs are
patches of any color,
brindle,
blue,
sable,
orange,
lemmon(yellow)
and any color/pattern I missed.

Blue eyes are considered a fault but not a DQ.
What breed?

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky