Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Top Dog

yes, honestly IMO is pretty silly. With the advances we have made in genetics and testing there is no reason to worry about losing colors, or keeping color pure. The Merle part of it is the most ridiculous as they (and mantle merles) occur IN the accepted color families. Other mismarks do happen sometimes with "proper" breeding, but merles and mantle merles are a big part of each harl litter.

I happen to like mantle merles
Old 10-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

Yay Ivy!!
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

color doesn't catch a hog
nor does a bad guy care what color the dog is throwing him to the ground
it's also important to note that in the standard in my 1936 dog encyclopedia harelquin included fawniquin, blue harl & brindlequin
Old 10-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
"Any Great Dane which does not fall within the above color classifications must be disqualified." I think Red was asking about things like blue brindle, blue fawn, harlequin with fawn, brindle, blue, etc patches. All are technically genetically possible if breeders choose to go outside of the color breeding "rules" but none are showable.

I don't know why, other than apparently GD breeders collectively decided they didn't like those colors/patterns in their breed.
never understood why someone would want to purposely narrow a closed genepool by eliminating preexisting colors (this applies to you too rottie & samoyed people)
Old 10-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

I know in Dane world it's traditionally looked down upon to mix color groups. It's Harlequin and Mantle, Fawn and Brindle... And I can't remember the other one. But breeding say, Mantle with a Brindle just isn't something they do. I am not sure why.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I know in Dane world it's traditionally looked down upon to mix color groups. It's Harlequin and Mantle, Fawn and Brindle... And I can't remember the other one. But breeding say, Mantle with a Brindle just isn't something they do. I am not sure why.
The color families are fawn & brindle, black & blue, harle & mantle which also includes black from harle. It was in the border wars link.

Responsible breeders do mix color families sometimes especially to improve black and harle lines. But like Greenmagic said, with genetic testing, it really wouldn’t be hard to mix colors while still maintaining the color groups.

Fawns have the largest gene pool and if my really rudimentary understanding of color is correct, adding in a fawn to black or harle lines is not a big deal.
~Suzanne Clothier