Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Top Dog

Default Faulty/Undesirable Colors

What coat colors or patterns are not allowed or faulted in your breed? What colors or patterns are undesirable? I thought it would be neat to see all the taboos of our breed's coat colors all in one spot!

I guess I'll start.

Siberian Husky
Allowed Colors - All naturally-occurring colors to the Sibe are allowed.
Not allowed - Recessive red, Merle, albinism and roaning/ticking do not exist in the Sibe. Any dogs displaying these colors are usually products of outcrosses to other breeds, mistakenly or otherwise.
Anything else - There aren't any colors that are "undesirable" but there are a lot of uncommon colors, like tan point/black and tan without white and saddle back. Solid colored dogs aren't too terribly common, either. No colors are linked to health issues. Pinto in the Sibe does NOT cause deafness.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Taxiderpy

In borzoi everything is allowed, but merle doesn't exist in the breed.

Liver and blue exist. I've never ever seen or heard of a liver dog though. They're acceptable, but not as desirable because they're supposed to have black nose and lip pigment with black eye rims and dark eyes. That said, plenty of nice blue dogs have finished their CHs so it's not that big of a deal.

The most common colors I see are anything with white spotting. Tricolor, red, gold, cream, and sable. Less common are brindle, sable, and self colors. Dominant self black and silver sable are probably the two rarest. I still can't believe Kaia had six silver sables.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:58 PM
& the Muttly Crew

For Flat-coats:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKC Breed Standard
Disqualification-- Yellow, cream or any color other than black or liver.
So black, liver, or no breed ring.

In reality, yellow's the only color seen besides black and liver. From back in the days when they split yellow off to Golden Retrievers. They still pop up periodically because it's a recessive but it's just an incredibly small portion of the breed that carries yellow that it doesn't happen very often. Besides there's a gene test for yellow so folks can check if it's something they want to avoid.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 10-20-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:40 PM
*Now with Snark*

As long as the leather is black no one cares what the color is. They are however a marked breed - mismarks aren't really frowned on but they are part of the process.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 PM
SBT Lover!!

Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Colors Red, Fawn, Black, Blue, White, any shade of Brindle or any of these colors and white (Pied).
Undesirable Black and Tan (the pattern) and Liver.

Merle is not mentioned in the standard, but would definitely be a disqualification as it is not found in the breed and would only show up as a result of mixing.

ETA: Though B&T and Liver are disqualifications in the breed, they occasionally show up in litters. This doesn't mean the dogs are mixed, but they can't be shown and should not be bred.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Top Dog

In Pems, excessive white, or Blues. Pretty much other colors like Merle don't exist, although a recent trend in BYBing has been to create them (through cross breeding obviously, or just cutting tails on Cardi's). I've found two written accounts of Brindle in Pems, but it hasn't occurred to my knowledge in over 50-60 years, obviously it isn't allowed now if it did show up at random.

Beauceron are only allowed in two colors, Black with tan-rust markings, and "Harlequin" (merle really) with tan-rust markings. Excessive white happens in Harlequins even with careful breeding, in either color they aren't allowed more than a spot on the chest about the size of a quarter. Although they use to appear in other colors including fawn and solid black, those colors haven't been seen since the first breed club formed in the early 1900's, and they cut down the number of colors allowing just the two. However, Blue does also pop up on a very rare occasion, it isn't allowed to be shown. I've read about Red, but the only dog I've ever seen in that color looked very obviously half Dobie and had no known (or at least, shared) information on his origin.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Twin 2

Since Koolies are a purely working breed pretty much every color is accepted.

It used to be thought to be a Koolie it needed to be merle and that if it was solid it was a cross but luckily most breeders are changing their tune. Sometimes certain colors will raise eyes in question of a possible cross such as brindle but from what I understand pretty much if it can happen it's cool.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:56 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
ETA: Though B&T and Liver are disqualifications in the breed, they occasionally show up in litters. This doesn't mean the dogs are mixed, but they can't be shown and should not be bred.
For some things, I understand this-- merle, for example. Albino Dobes. But for something like black and tan or liver... what is the benefit of selecting against that?
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:59 PM
overdogged

Border Collies may come in any color or pattern, though "white should not predominate".

APBTs may be any color or color combination except merle.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Aussie Obssessed

In Aussies bb Liver(known in the breed as "Red") and BB Black are allowed, also either of those two colors can be merled (known as "Red Merle" on a Liver dog or "Blue Merle" on a Black dog).
All base colors can also come optionally with white irish markings or tan points with no preference.

Sable was originally found in the breed but was made a disqualification due to the merle gene being difficult to see on a sable dog. White patches on the body from the elbows on back are also a DQ as it was believed at the time that this was tied to white patches on the head which can cause deafness. We now know however that white on the head is controlled by a different set of genes than the white on the body.