Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

As stated above, start at the national breed club to at least give you a head start. When I was searching for Chow breeders before we got Aesop, that's how I started. I weeded out from there. (not every breeder with a listing there is good, of course,....I used common sense and additional research to weed out those who did not produce Chows according to what I was looking for)
Old 10-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

This is what the ad says:

"We are members of the Kennel club assured breeder scheme and have been breeding for several years, we take pride in how we keep our whippets and they are a much loved family pets
17 Weeks old Beautifull healthy playfull puppies, nice forward going and full of mischief
Born and raised in a family home with children cats and dogs, fully wormed, Micro chipped, KC registered, 4 weeks free insurance plus puppy food pack, the puppies are in excelent condition with nice shinny coats, bright eyes, very alert,
Both parents her for you to see
Mum is a Brindel working whippet and dad is a Black working whippet, Any questions please get in touch."

What about this makes one jump to the conclusion that this is a horrible breeder? I honestly can't say because it's limited info but I think this breeder could be worth looking into more.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Sit! Good dog.

You're in the UK.

Use the champdogs website to look for a good breeder, its geared towards ethical breeders who health test etc. If you let me know where you are, ill look on there for you too.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Sit! Good dog.

http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/whippet/breeders?ht=1
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Bite me.

Great links! I like those how those breeders sound.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post

"We are members of the Kennel club assured breeder scheme and have been breeding for several years, we take pride in how we keep our whippets and they are a much loved family pets
17 Weeks old Beautifull healthy playfull puppies, nice forward going and full of mischief
Born and raised in a family home with children cats and dogs, fully wormed, Micro chipped, KC registered, 4 weeks free insurance plus puppy food pack, the puppies are in excelent condition with nice shinny coats, bright eyes, very alert,
Mum is a Brindel working whippet and dad is a Black working whippet, Any questions please get in touch."

What about this makes one jump to the conclusion that this is a horrible breeder? I honestly can't say because it's limited info but I think this breeder could be worth looking into more.
they cant spell the coat pattern. that doesnt make them horrible but it would make me skip them.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post

IME, reputable breeders are usually quick to mention their dogs titles, good temperaments, and health. Reputable breeders also don't usually advertise online.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

In my experience, reputable breeders poop rainbows and unicorns. LOL.

ETA: That is to say, they're much romanticized. Frankly, I don't have enough info from the ad. They certainly seem like they care about their dogs. I'd be concerned about appropriate health clearances.

There's a really interesting blog on Ruffly Speaking about why breeders SHOULD advertise, and why the idea that advertising puppies is dirty and disreputable hurts breeders instead of helping them.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
In my experience, reputable breeders poop rainbows and unicorns. LOL.

ETA: That is to say, they're much romanticized. Frankly, I don't have enough info from the ad. They certainly seem like they care about their dogs. I'd be concerned about appropriate health clearances.

There's a really interesting blog on Ruffly Speaking about why breeders SHOULD advertise, and why the idea that advertising puppies is dirty and disreputable hurts breeders instead of helping them.
Totally agree.

I have found some of my best pet homes through Puppyfinder and NextDay Pets. Really great homes that I wouldn't have found without advertising who have dogs they adore. Dogs they would not have found without me advertising.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Brindel. Lol I hope it's a typo.

I wouldn't buy off those sites but I found both of mine on workingdogforum. To each their own I guess?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.